PDA

View Full Version : Jow ga Forms (JOW PEOPLE)

SiHingJow
04-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Whats the differents between malaysian Jow ga forms Jow ga In Hong Kong Jow ga. I see different variations for the southern and northern greets among all Jow ga schools.

Fu-Pau
04-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Don't know? I haven't seen much of the Malaysian schools. My sifu is from Hong Kong under Chow Biu. There are other Chow Gar (Jow Ga) schools in my city but they are from a lineage that goes back through Vietnam to Hong Kong. Their forms and application are different to ours.

RENEGADE_MONK
04-04-2004, 11:46 AM
The differences reflect where Jow ga branches off from Jow Biu -->Chan Man Cheung and Lau Hoe Lurng. Most of what is Jow ga in the states is from Cheung, Lau Hoe Lurng took Jow ga to Vietnam opening the first ever Jow ga school there so that could help explain a little of why you see a difference.

Also there is Jow ga in Australia that has wushu added to it by Randy Bennett.

cerebus
04-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Why would someone learn a traditional art like Jow Ga, then add Wushu to it? :confused: Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

fiercest tiger
04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Yo, there is grandmaster Lee he is real jow gar and there is some of his students around teaching. One of them is sifu andy troung that teaches bak mei and lung ying as well.

FT

RENEGADE_MONK
04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by cerebus
Why would someone learn a traditional art like Jow Ga, then add Wushu to it? :confused: Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Actually he is legit, Sifu Bennett is pretty skilled. He studied under Dean Chin here in DC, he then relocated to Honk Kong and studied directly under Chan Man Cheung.

Here's a link to his site http://www.jowgaleichhardt.com.au/sifu.php

http://jowga.com.au/jowga_frame.html

kungfuyou
04-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger
Yo, there is grandmaster Lee he is real jow gar and there is some of his students around teaching. One of them is sifu andy troung that teaches bak mei and lung ying as well.

FT

From my understanding, Dean Chin also taught Bak Mei and Lung Ying, or taught a few forms, because he knew those styles before Studying Jow Ga. Don't quote me, it's been a while.

kungfuyou
04-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you are familiar with Jow Ga. Who is it you study with? I have studied a little here on the west coast, just enough to get my feet wet and really wanting to dive into the deep end with it!! :D

RENEGADE_MONK
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by kungfuyou

From my understanding, Dean Chin also taught Bak Mei and Lung Ying, or taught a few forms, because he knew those styles before Studying Jow Ga. Don't quote me, it's been a while.

Yes Dean Chin did learn Bak Mei, Eagle Claw, and a few others, but he didn't really teach them per se to the students because he wanted them learn strictly Jow Ga!! and what he did teach only the top students got to learn what he knew.

Sounds like you are familiar with Jow Ga. Who is it you study with? I started in Jow Ga back in the 80's under Sifu Wong, have been in and out of it over the years. whose your sifu over there in Cali?:)

kungfuyou
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by RENEGADE_MONK

Yes Dean Chin did learn Bak Mei, Eagle Claw, and a few others, but he didn't really teach them per se to the students because he wanted them learn strictly Jow Ga!! and what he did teach only the top students got to learn what he knew.

I started in Jow Ga back in the 80's under Sifu Wong, have been in and out of it over the years. whose your sifu over there in Cali?:)

I have studied a bit with Sifu Maurice Gatdula in Sacramento. He's been away for awhile so I haven't had a chance to study, but am DYING to continue!! :D

RENEGADE_MONK
04-08-2004, 02:57 PM

I have studied a bit with Sifu Maurice Gatdula in Sacramento. He's been away for awhile so I haven't had a chance to study, but am DYING to continue!! :D ahhhh..Tell Sihing Maurice John says hi!! I was one of his classmates you are gonna learn alot, you couldn't learn from a better sifu;)

kungfuyou
04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by RENEGADE_MONK
ahhhh..Tell Sihing Maurice John says hi!! I was one of his classmates you are gonna learn alot, you couldn't learn from a better sifu;)

Well next time I see him I sure will! :D So far it's been fun learning, and like I said I'm just dying to continue, so I'm looking forward to learning whatever he wants to teach me! :D

fiercest tiger
04-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I have footage of his senior students one is doing a bak mei form called sup jee kuen. I think the other one is plum flower form of jow gar!

FT:)

kungfuyou
04-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Any way I could get a copy of that footage?????? :D ;)

RENEGADE_MONK
04-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Any way I could get a copy of that footage?????? :D ;)

:D :D :D

fiercest tiger
04-09-2004, 08:25 PM
If i can find it sure, its on one of my hundred videos somewhere in a box.

Its the guys that are in the dean chin articles usually, tall guy with bold head, the other guy small ethnic looking chap with a saddam mustache.:)

FT

ZhouJiaQuan
04-11-2004, 08:20 PM
hehe i wouldn't mind a copy eithier eh? :D

ZhouJiaQuan
04-12-2004, 09:20 AM
hey, so were not too much, you could send only one for both me and JGF...

huh? Eh?
:D :)

Shaolinlueb
04-12-2004, 12:42 PM
I have onyl seen 3/4 Jow Ga schools and it looks like the quality of the students is really good from them and I am liking Jow Ga the most out of the southern systems I have seen. relevance to post 0.

Fu-Pau
04-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger

FT

FT are you suggesting that the others are not real?

fiercest tiger
04-16-2004, 08:26 AM
In australia master lee is one of the realiest jow gar, Sifu Randy Bennet is also jow gar but also has wushu forms in his sylibuss im not saying he isnt real just the other jow gar is more traditional when you compare the 2 IMHO.:)

FT

No disrespect to Sifu Bennet as i do know him and his kung fu is very good as wel he is nice guy.

Fu-Pau
04-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Ok, I don't know of master Lee or his background/lineage. He's in Sydney I presume?
I have heard of Master Bennet. He met my Sifu once.

I was just pointing out though that the two above are not the only Chow Gar (Jow Ga) masters in Aus. :)

fiercest tiger
04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Master Lee is around 80-90 yrs old now, he was a student under a top sifu, i dont know who as im not jow gar maybe jow bil..or the one after that?!

He is senior to randy by a long shot as well knows the system in a complete way then randy, also has more jow gar forms, im just telling you what i know.:)

Master Lee was a good friend of my sifu as well.

FT

Fu-Pau
04-19-2004, 07:24 PM
FT,

Cool :) If Sifu Lee was also a student of Chow Biu then my Sifu would know him. Does he still teach in Sydney or is he retired now? Do you know if he has a website? Or if he is like our school... behind the (internet) times..
Good to hear of more Chow Gar folk in Aus though!
Sifu Bennet is from the US. His Chow gar is via a couple of US Sifu (I think).

PS... I'm not THAT Fu Pow... I'm THIS Fu Pau :D

kungfuyou
04-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I believe you are refering to Hoy K. Lee?? Lineage is Jow Biu (Jow Bil). His website is www.jowga.com

His bio is here: http://www.jowgakungfu.com/sifu.html

Fu-Pau
04-20-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure? I thought that FT was refering to a Sifu Lee in Australia? I could be wrong though?

Anyway... according to the dates mentioned in Hoy K Lee's biography that you provided, he can't be in his 80s or 90s...

RENEGADE_MONK
04-20-2004, 06:09 AM
I believe you are refering to Hoy K. Lee?? Lineage is Jow Biu (Jow Bil). His website is www.jowga.com

His bio is here: http://www.jowgakungfu.com/sifu.html

Hoy Lee is in Newport News... Virginia Beach, Va area "US", not Oz also he's in his late 40's early 50's . FT is not referring to him

RENEGADE_MONK
04-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pau
FT,

Cool :) If Sifu Lee was also a student of Chow Biu then my Sifu would know him. Does he still teach in Sydney or is he retired now? Do you know if he has a website? Or if he is like our school... behind the (internet) times..
Good to hear of more Chow Gar folk in Aus though!
Sifu Bennet is from the US. His Chow gar is via a couple of US Sifu (I think).

Sifu Bennett learned from one US sifu "Dean Chin" he then moved to Hong Kong to complete it under Chan Man Cheung

Fu-Pau
04-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks, yes, I just picked that up from his website.

Fu-Pau
04-23-2004, 01:31 AM
FT,

I think you might have been referring to Master Ly, rather than a Master Lee. ?

Fu-Pau