PDA

View Full Version : What is the ultimate goal of wing chun?

WCK
05-03-2001, 12:31 PM
Well, the question really says it all.

What are your opinions...

S.Teebas
05-03-2001, 01:11 PM
To be able to open closing elevator doors with high speed punches

popsider
05-03-2001, 01:34 PM
Wing chun does not have a goal, people have goals and use wing chun to achieve them. If your goal is increased confidence or ability to fight then wing chun is suitable, if your goal is fitness then there are probably better ways to achieve it.

So there is no goal of wing chun, although if I had to give an answer opening elevator doors with high speed punches comes pretty close.

Can-O-Bud
05-03-2001, 02:07 PM
To me there is no goal.

A goal implies an ending of a destination. Wing Chun is a journey of learning, and it never ends.

I also like chinese food....

"My twa boab"

wingchunner
05-03-2001, 04:16 PM
I think the ultimate goal is to make the person studying it the best person that they can be.

Be true and loving.
http://wingchun.ereasons.net

old jong
05-03-2001, 07:05 PM
Wing Chun is one of the most "artfull"of the martial arts! The road to it's mastery is a personnal quest like studying music or painting.The practice in itself is the goal.

C'est la vie!

Horatio Algiers
05-03-2001, 08:55 PM
Although not a Wing Chun practitioner yet... I recall reading once from a source I can't recall where exactly that simply the ultimate goal is to learn the system well enough that the student/practitioner can then break free of the limitations of "system" and respond purely instinctively, without thought and yet at the same time creatively.

Sihing73
05-03-2001, 09:07 PM
Hello,

I am sorry to seem contrary but I do believe that Wing Chun has a goal. It's goal or purpose is to enable the practicianer to DESTROY his opponenet with the most efficient means possible. Simply stated Wing Chun is a weapon to be used to destroy the opponenet. This is it in a nutshell. While there may be side benefits such as making one abetter person or achieivng balance, the purpose of Wing Chun is to create a ruthless and efficient fighter. Remember, the art was designed for combat.

Peace,

Dave

Martial Joe
05-03-2001, 09:29 PM
Id have to go with dave on this one...

old jong
05-03-2001, 09:33 PM
We are lucky that our system has other interrest to offer otherwise we would have to prove ourself continually just to be reassured in our skills like the "other"guys ;)

C'est la vie!

kungfu cowboy
05-03-2001, 10:21 PM
I dunno about you guys, but it has substantially improved my Woody Allen impersonation.

mikey
05-04-2001, 01:02 AM
dave,you hit it on the head!
martial means "warlike or pertaining to war".It cannot
be denied that there are many other artistic and beneficial qualities to Wing Chun,but the bottom line is that Wing Chun is for efficiently kicking ass.I once knew a Pekiti Tersia instructor who had a saying that fits studying Wing Chun well,
" If you want to be a better person,go to church!
if you want to learn how to fight,come to me!".
poetry,huh? ;)

old jong
05-04-2001, 01:51 AM
Are you sure going to church can make you a better person? :D ;)

C'est la vie!

rogue
05-04-2001, 02:22 AM
To insult people and fight amongst themselves?

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

Sam
05-04-2001, 02:46 AM
Dave destroy? I have been taught that when violence is perpetrated one should reflect it back to the perpetrator. Mind of no mind. Dicipline, restraint, compassion are key. Controlling the opponent leaves one the most options. Aggressiveness should be used as a live action and not clouded judgement. Once a learned man said,"I cannot teach you how to win only how not to lose." Judgement is in Gods hands. Wing Chun is in mine.

Sihing73
05-04-2001, 04:21 AM
Hello Sam,

Although there are many options available to a skilled Wing Chun person which oculd enable you to "control" rather than destroy many of those are not apparent nor are they practical until a high level of skill is achieved.

Consider the concept of striking along the centerline; many of the bodies vital points are located along this axis. There must be a reason for striking to them. Also, my first Wing Chun instructor stressed attacking four target areas;
EYES, THROAT, GROIN and KNEECAPS. Going for these targets will certainly give the opponenet a bad day if they do not destroy him/her. Look at the dummy, each sequence teaches a way to dominate and destroy the opponent and his/her ability to continue. There are controls but again they each lead to the eventual inability of the opponent to continue to do you harm.

If it makes you feel better you can classify the term 'destroy" to include such things of the destruction of the opponents will not always a physical thing ;) But the end result is the same, the opponent is unable or unwilling to continue thus you win by destroying this ability whether it be physcial or mental. Though, I kind of lean towards the physical when one considers the nature of attacks in Wing Chun. You strike to the throat and centerline. Kind of like when I was a cop people asked me what the prupose of firearms training was. My answer was always the same; We were taught to "stop the action" best way I knew to do that was put one or more center mass. You could argue that my purpose was to stop any further attacks but the end result was usually the same. Of course, if you said you learned to put two to three rounds center mass in order to kill the attacker you would get in trouble but think about the end result. I think WSL said it best when he compared Wing Chun to a weapon. Thinking of it as anything else takes away its root.

Peace,

Dave

WCK
05-04-2001, 12:38 PM
I was hoping someone could give me a deeper meaning of wing chun.

Because I have only done this for nearly 3 yrs and I want to know the intrinsic energy of wing chun from people who have done wing chun longer than me.

What do they think about wing chun at stages of their training, their difficulties etc.

Thanks for any comments...

benny
05-06-2001, 06:34 AM
i agree with dave
as Wong Seung Leung once said "ving tsun is the art of total incapasatation(sp?) of your opponent"