PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Authentics

BeiTangLang
04-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Has there ever been a translation of this document into another language?

Tainan Mantis
04-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Hi Bei,
You are refering to the version mentioned by WHF?
I have been trying to find who this was passed down to and can't find anyone who has it.

WHF version has not been translated into English.
I don't think much of any version has.

I think Lee Kamwing may have a copy.
I don't recall him putting any of it in his books though except a few pages of 18 lohan in one book(Chinese only).

Other PM schools have hand written versions which may have a lot of overlap with material that WHF did publish.
It would be best to take them out and compare all to get a better idea what the original was like.
Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that most of what is in there is a mystery to modern practitoners.

WHF published some bits that are very interesting and relate to the PM we practice in this day and age.

I have made some translations of WHF explanations as well as what he took from Shaolin Zhen Chuan(Which he sometimes refered to as Tang Lang Jing).

I have put some of that up on KFO, but I think it usually passes un noticed.

I have also been working on translations of other versions.
Sometimes Mantis108 goes over my translations on his forum.

Some materials that were completed have been submitted to MQ which may be published someday.

I have been fascinated by this subject and the original writings.
Some arrea's for further investigation that I am working on and hope to make available for everyone include...

I have tracked down material to Ming dynasty Chi Ji Guang, Yu Da You, 2 famous generals of the day.
Also Shaolin published material from the Ming(article in the works).

As well as Tang Dynasty fragments of poems which were included in manuscripts to describe PM.

Also material from Sun Zi, about 2200 years ago has found its way into PM.

Also stories or references to ancient characters such as Jing Ke(future artical in the works) And his attempted assisnation of Qin Shr Huang, China's first emperor.

18 Luohan Gung references to PM as well as pre Song figure Chen Tuan etc.

Chu Ba Wang the tyrant king shortly after Qin Shr Huang.

Oldest published material on Wang Lang from the middle of the Ching, pre 1795.

I could go on and on...

mantis108
04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
As far as I can gather:

Shaolin Yi Bol Zhen Chuan (Shaolin robe and bowl authentic transmission) is a manuscript supposedly by Shengxiao Daoren/Hsing Hsiao Daoren (mid-1700). However, there is a possibility that this date isn't correct. It could be a later date which is 1856 CE since there is a handcopy out there that has " 5th year of Xian Feng (1851 - 1861 CE)" on the cover. Having said that it is entirely possible that Shengxiao's student(s) [possibly Fuching Daoren] or acquaintances could have copied the orginal at that later date.

Shengxiao claimed to have first learned from Fuju and later learned from another Shaolin monk who resided not at Songshan.

There are copies that go by the title "Duanda Michao" (short strike confidential). At the 4th scroll of the this version there is a supplimentary introduction, which is "Re-edited Edition of Arhat exercises and short strike introduction". It is possible that the book was originally name "Arhat (Luohan) exercises and short strike". BTW, Shengxiao claimed a student took his original work, thus he rewrote another one out of his "memory".

The Shaolin Yi Bol Zhen Chuan is divided into 4 scrolls:

1) Shaolin Yi Bol Zhen Chuan (same name) is theory and such things

2) Illustrated Shaolin Luohan short strikes is about hand to hand combat

3) Illustrated Shaolin Luohan weaponary is about weapon usage

4) Illustrated Shaolin Luohan Gong is about internal exercise. This is the famous 18 Luohan Gong.

In HK Seven Star lineage passed down by GM Luo Guangyu, there seems to have 5 scrolls in which the 5th scroll is herbal medicines and treatment for various broken bones, cuts and impact injuries (Die Da Yi Yue). No other version that I am aware of have this 5th scroll.

The version that I have, courtesy of Tainan Mantis, is IMHO a portion of the Shaolin Authentics. It was published by Wang Yifu in 1934. Unfortunately, it is full of typos and missing pieces.

Shaolin Yi Bol Zhen Chuan seemed to be somewhat of a "proof of athenticity" among the mantis system(s) particularly among the 7 Stars circle. Of course there are debates about the significances of it.

Mantis108

humble-one
04-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Is there anywhere on the net where you can see pictures of the old manuscripts?