PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know NAN QUAN???

Hungfutkune
04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Hello all,

Just moved to Shanghai and have seen some ads in magazines talking about sifus that teach Southern Fist Kung Fu also know as NAN QUAN. I have had some experience in Hung Gar. Is this style similar and is it a traditional style? Hopefully somebody has some answers for me.

Thanks

MasterKiller
04-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Hungfutkune
Hello all,

Just moved to Shanghai and have seen some ads in magazines talking about sifus that teach Southern Fist Kung Fu also know as NAN QUAN. I have had some experience in Hung Gar. Is this style similar and is it a traditional style? Hopefully somebody has some answers for me.

Thanks Isn't Nan Quan just a System Classification, like Long-Fist or Northern Shaolin?

Fu-Pow
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Nan Quan just means Southern Fist. I think now a days it refers to the "Southern" version of PRC Wushu.

David Jamieson
04-02-2004, 11:11 AM
yeah there is a wushu taolu (set) that is a compulsory and it is called "nan quan".

there are videos available of the set.

try here

http://www.beijingwushuteam.com/video.html

and check out yang shiwens demo of nanquan.

cheers

Hungfutkune
04-03-2004, 09:25 AM
So am I safe to say that it is not a traditional martial art? How effective is it in a self defense situation?

David Jamieson
04-03-2004, 09:54 AM
nan quan literally translates as "southern fist"

this name is a co-opted catch all in regards to performance art wushu.

someone could as easily refer to Hung Gar as a southern fist style but because they may think that people are more familiar with the phrase nan quan, they will use it instead.

If it is the wushu, you could extrapolate and adapt the technique within the set and work them in such a way as they would be useful in fighting.

If you want to learn to fight, just ask if the style being taught is a fighting system designed to teach a person how to fight.

don't be afraid to ask, be wary if your questions cannot be answered and don't get personal, just ask questions that are related directly to your goals and objectives.

cheers

Brad
04-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Here's a good demo of a nan quan form: http://www.jiayo.com/videos/nanquan.mpg

cerebus
04-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey! I know Nan Chuan! I actually learned it 'cause I didn't have access to Hung Gar, but I DID have access to a Nan Chuan Wushu champion. It's basically all Hung Gar & Choy Lay Fut but done super fast with little or no rooting. Since I wasn't interested in competing I just practiced it as I would a traditional form (concentrating more on form and power than speed), that used to drive my instructor crazy :D ! He'd always chew me out: "No, no! You're doing it like a traditional form, you're too slow. Wushu is fast!" Heh, heh! I still practice it sometimes.