PDA

View Full Version : anger

foolinthedeck
04-02-2004, 10:57 AM
i've been feeling angry lately.
just in general..
and, i wonder how to train the anger away:
it seems as if training as normal when very angry tends to tense one up and develop power quite well but without so much control, it can be good to work on this if its a weakness but not where you end up taking it out on brothers and sisters.

even slt is so pointed and direct it doesnt seem to suit an angry person. I know that i would not teach wing chun to mental health clients for this reason, but perhaps taiji?

so for now, i dont feel like practicing wing chun daily is beneficial, so just taiji and zazen.

on some occasions angression and anger can be released thru sport such as in volleyball (also good for toughening forearms!!) but surely not in wing chun. i know sifu would not let someone train if they wer obviously using it as a means of taking out anger.

even doing it safely on a bag for example, still trains the mind and body to fight in this way without sensitivity and control?

thoughts?

Lindley57
04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Foolinthedeck,

Most people live to be happy. There is no positiveness in anger, at least not in normal society. However, if one takes a yin/yang approach one should realize that you cannot experience relaxation without understanding tension.

The term "anger" tends to suggest an out of control state, often more descriptive by the word rage. You will find that the best martial artists are those who are relaxed, execute their skill effortlessly. Those who are in an in controlled state.

The Chun can be played in the same manner as those arts you mentioned. Focus on your breathing and slow deliberate movements. Also believe in yourself. A martial artist stands in high character, often facing the challenges most others would not.

We cannot "train away anger". This must be discussed within you and resolved within you. Surround yourself with positive things.

Good Luck!

Gangsterfist
04-02-2004, 11:42 AM
foolinthedeck-

I can say from personal experience when I get frusturated or angry I can look more deeply into taiji to help me overcome whatever imbalance I am experiencing. Taiji is not only a martial art, it is also a philosophy.

I have had my ups and downs this year between a car wreck, bills and debt, and my sifu having to move out of state. Things have been emotional. Escpecially because I have limited time left with sifu, who is not only my sifu but also a good friend of mine. From a training perspective I will still be able to train wing chun and taiji with my sigung who is here in town. So, even though I am losing a great friend I will still be able to train.

The taiji forms can be used to meditate as well. Look deep within yourself and let go of the agression and emotions. After I train my forms I feel more at ease and more relaxed. Taiji is not agressive in nature like wing chun, its more about controlling energies by nature (yin and yang).

It is good to understand anger and agression. To understand it I think you must experience it. Take this time as a learning experience, I know I am. Then try to grow off it. With death comes birth, in hardness there is softness, in strength there is weakness, in aggression there is passiveness.

foolinthedeck
04-02-2004, 02:53 PM
:( touched
well expressed by you sir.

Phenix
04-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck
i've been feeling angry lately.
just in general..
and, i wonder how to train the anger away:
it seems as if training as normal when very angry tends to tense one ............................

A stuck pipe is not going to have flow water.
One can think all one wants but the pipe still stuck.

Anger is no different with a stuck pipe.......

LC-NYC
04-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Foolinthedeck

Anger can be an enemy that can hurt us in many ways........ It can cause stress and cloud our minds...

This is not something that can be fixed in one day....but! ..with one step at a time ... I think you would find the answer that you are looking for! You just took your first step .......... Don't Stop! Keep searching and Good Luck!

ZEN IN THE MARTIAL ARTS- By JOE HYAMS. If you haven't read this book....Get It! Read and Read it again...
-----------------------------------------------
The mind is clear and the mood is bright....- A Maxim of Jee keem Yeung Ma

E.S.S.S/T.P.T.A

foolinthedeck
04-03-2004, 05:01 AM
my pipe is full of moss
the leaves fallen from the trees
stagnant and stinking the dark morass
the sage clears his roof regularly.

i have read zen in the MA, actually i own it, actually it is in my bag right now. i recommend it also, considering it was written in teh 60/70's it is still very current, with good insight into wing chun and not simply karate.

i suppose another good metaphor is this:

make your centre like a growing tree, rooted to the earth and branching to bridge on any side. Avoid letting this tree become dead, even though it will burn all the stronger, eventually it will consume itself.

or perhaps there will be a phoenix from the embers?

Phenix
04-03-2004, 08:41 AM
1, Before Anger comes, Anger raises from a subjective based mind which is trying to force future outcome, try to change past even, try to force others behaviour........ when thing it is not as we like in our subjective way and we dont accept it. Anger form.

Thus, switch the subjective experience to an objective one wil help "i am angry' to ' i have anger" . switch "i want my kite fly this way' to 'let see how the wind blow and how to fly the kite' .

"Come accept goes send back"---- objectively flow with the condition. Open your heart and embrase, instead of keep thinking me and why me... Plane will get to its destination via skill flying not via changing the wind direction....

2, After Anger started, Anger is related to a sensation. the same Mind patern has no control over this sensation, but will used this sensation as a reason to snow balling the anger thoughts. Thus, Mind is biased in condition Anger.

If you scan your body at this time, You will know a certain part of the body such as in chest or neck or shoulder or head or ect feeling stuffy, stiff, out of flow...not function properly...you even might be stop breathing ect . thus you feel like the world is black out, there is no way out but force explode to get out of this trap or stuffiness....etc.

how is your body and brain suppose to function properly with screw up oxigen and blood flow or qi flow? Thus, concentrate in deep inhale and exhale breathing, dont concentrate in mind reasoning. Get the oxigen and blood flow in the body. Get the body back into balance state. when you feel oxigen pump in to that stuffy part and it feel better, you know that sennsation is just a sensation.
If you follow the mind to spiral into your snowball thoughts storm and using the sensation as a reason. you will lose it.

And you dont need to break something to relief. just send oxigen to where it stuck to smooth the flow and your mind will function back properly in balance.

Sensation is thought in action. change the thought and change the action. But always desolve the sensation first with breathing when the sensation has occur . Dont get trap into using mind to reason with mind, sensation win over mind. Those who be able to deal with mind are those who realized mind is not everything and have attained a paradigm shift into non-duality. if you are in non-dual and your body is in balance state. how anger will raise? it Cant.

4, Train SLT such that the body knows what is a balance state. Then when in the state of anger, use that balance state as reference and use SLT as a vehicle to bring your body/mind/spirit/blood flow/qi...... back there--- balance.

5, SLT is about training, training means physical, mind, and spiritual. it is not about big or small ideas or thoughts. It is about everything. Not about mind running loop and dont know the body and how to deal with body.

Those Chan, Zen, words of visdom are some one else words it is not usefull for unnondual experience person. There is no suddent Zap or so called instantaneuos one to one secrete teaching with unnon-dual person.

watch your mind so that you know when you can or cannot used or rely on it. forget about those SiuNim or Big Nim wise interpretation, those stuffs deal with big and small. It cannot goes beyond mind. Watch your sensation so that you can balance it. then you can handle them. then, you can attain Non-dual. that is the practice of meditation.

so what is non-dual? start with listerning to the silence. there, only there one relax, didnt pay attention to any specific, but all revial. That is Chan or Zen. Just one step not 3 or 4.

You know why you got shock in the movie? or at anger? or fear?
Because you lost the silence in sound realm, the silence (space) in physical object realm, the silence (free flex flow) in mind realm. Silence is the North pole of compass. you might not realize you rely on them and you suffer when you temperary blank them out under external influnce, but your "core" know when it was blank out.

When the subjective silence meet the objective silence that is real zen----- non-dual ! that is this instant. that is now.

so who says Chi Sau is about this kiu sau or that kiu sau? To concentrate in this kiu sau or that kiu sau is about attach to a specific, thus the rest will not reveal. That is off the mark of Chan.

This is what Oyama said:

The third, and possibly greatest, addition by Oyama in his synthesis of kyokushin karate is the concept of Zen. In a Zen state of mind, one thinks nothing. The mind is completely cleared of all intruding thoughts and emotions. The mind simply relaxes; it does not focus precisely on any particular detail. The mind focuses on nothing, yet perceives everything. Can this concept not be put to great use in karate?

How to deal with Anger? study onself and Zen, Just some thoughts.

kj
04-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
1, Before Anger comes, Anger raises from a subjective based mind which is trying to force future outcome, try to change past even, try to force others behaviour........ when thing it is not as we like in our subjective way and we dont accept it. Anger form.

Thus, switch the subjective experience to an objective one wil help "i am angry' to ' i have anger" . switch "i want my kite fly this way' to 'let see how the wind blow and how to fly the kite' .

"Come accept goes send back"---- objectively flow with the condition. Open your heart and embrase, instead of keep thinking me and why me... Plane will get to its destination via skill flying not via changing the wind direction....

[etc.]

Excellent.

Slicing and dicing from a "Four Agreements" perspective:

1) Be impeccable with your word
2) Don't make assumptions
3) Don't take *anything* personally [emphasis mine]
4) Always do your best

Simple to say, difficult to do save bearing in mind number 4.

Till later,
- kj

Phenix
04-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Kj,

I just finished edit final my post. go back if you are interested.

Linking mind/body is my goal. and i think we got the technology.

Phenix
04-03-2004, 09:19 AM
even slt is so pointed and direct it doesnt seem to suit an angry person.?-------

because you use a wrong mind, it is that silence which is the key not that one must do this and that or slt is for killing ....mind :D

if you start with a mentality of expecting/labering/programming SLT is for killing, it becomes a symbol to triggle your killing action when your mind is in chaos automatically.

what do you expect? :D

kj
04-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
I just finished edit final my post. go back if you are interested.

Thanks. TTYL,
- kj

PaulH
04-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Very insightful post, Hendrik. A fall from balance will lead to drastic measures. I was kind of bumped from not feeling well to go training today, but I realized that it too was just a passing sensation and nothing that some fresh air and good food couldn't fix! Ha! Ha! well I am still eagerly waiting for your final link - spirit, mind, and body. So far mostly on mind and body link.

Regards,
PH

foolinthedeck
04-03-2004, 03:50 PM

foolinthedeck
04-03-2004, 03:56 PM

i agree. so i'm not arguing.. but i did start the thread saying

i've been feeling angry lately

so it was an objective have anger not a subjective am angry.
not to disagree, just to agree

Phenix
04-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck

i agree. so i'm not arguing.. but i did start the thread saying

i've been feeling angry lately

so it was an objective have anger not a subjective am angry.
not to disagree, just to agree

hehehe, if it is real OBJECTIVE then
why " i wonder how to train the anger away:" why the passing car bother you? :D

Pual,
being non-dual is spiritual. that is beyond mind. but then everything is there as a whole. hahahaha
if you see oyama or buddha. there is no such thing as seperate mind me, breathing me, spiritual me, physical me. all are one, and one is all.