PDA

View Full Version : UFC predictions

backbreaker
04-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Who's fighting? Who's gonna win? Chuck or Tito? I was leaning towards chuck for a long time, but then he got beat by Rampage so I really don't know about this one. I think Chuck said Tito better be packing his wrestling.

DragonzRage
04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Altho I'm more of a fan of chuck, I think it'll be Tito by decision. There is a chance that Chuck will get the ko, but I think it will more likely go the distance and Tito will get the decision.

*I'm hoping that Chuck wins it tho. Kempo is cooler than Lay n' pray:D !

old jong
04-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Chuck's timing has been off for some times. Tito will benefit from that.

YinYangDagger
04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm going for Chuck on this one. But you can never tell with Tito, he's a pretty good fighter as well.

I know Chuck has the Kempo tattoo, but doesn't he predominately use Muay Thai?

DragonzRage
04-02-2004, 05:03 PM
No, I would not label Chuck Liddell as a Muay Thai stylist. I guess the most accurate way to label him would be as a freestyle kickboxer. His striking training seems to encompass aspects of American kickboxing, boxing and muay thai. His primary trainer John Hackleman labels his method as Hawaiian Kempo. As for the extent to which they employ Kempo in actual practice, I can't comment because I am not extremely knowledgeable regarding kempo techniques/training. But when you have a successful fighter who predominantly wins through punching and kicking, I suppose they can call it Kempo, or whatever they want. There's not much use arguing with success.

One thing I find interesting is the fact that Liddell is widely criticized for having sloppy boxing technique. Although he is a pretty effective power puncher, there are a lot of times when he simply doesn't employ his punching strategy the way a technical boxer would. Perhaps due to his Kempo influence, he is not actually trying to punch like a boxer.

DragonzRage
04-02-2004, 05:09 PM
I will say this though: despite whatever styles/techniques Liddell and his team use, you can bet that their training methods resemble modern muay thai training much more than they resemble the workouts you'd see at your standard Kempo dojo.

YinYangDagger
04-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Found this interesting bit over on Sherdog.com.

Mike Sloan: Before you started doing MMA, you had a pretty good Muay Thai kickboxing career, correct?

Chuck Liddell: Yes.

Mike Sloan: How big of a career did you have because not much of your career is available to be found. I've been trying to locate some of your old Muay Thai fights, but can't. I've actually been looking for this stuff for a long time, but always come up empty handed. What all did you achieve in your career and why are your fights nowhere to be found?

Chuck Liddell: Well, I fought all amateur fights, so that'll make it real hard to get everything. I was 20-2 with 16 knockouts

David Jamieson
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
tito

backbreaker
04-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Could happen, Tito went 5 rounds vs. Randy Couture, Chuck went 3 rounds. But not to cout out the Iceman, he did put Randleman out in one shot, and has a win over the lightheavyweight champion Vitor Belfort.

YinYangDagger
04-02-2004, 11:26 PM
As you may already know, Tito got his a$$ handed to him by Chuck. TKO in the 2nd round at 38 seconds.

DragonzRage
04-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Well $hit....I guess I called that one wrong. But I like Chuck better anyway. Go Hawaiian Kempo!!!

FatherDog
04-03-2004, 02:31 AM
I watch the UFC at my gym. We have a betting pool; everyone kicks in $5, and the person that picks the most fights correctly wins the pot.

I just won $65. :D

David Jamieson
04-03-2004, 03:54 AM
dang!

ah well, it was his time.

yuanfen
04-03-2004, 08:43 AM
MMA events- no art in that gladiator sport. Perfect for the vicarious pleasure of voyeurs. Still -its battle- some lessons apply.
Lidell played his best game- striking- poor boxing but still striking mostly. Tito tried to "box"(except for a couple of futile take down attempts)- obviously not his bestgame.
Both were in good physical condition.
The audience got their jollies. Did they learn anything? No- IMO except how to order PPV or get tickets early for the Shamrock-Kimo extragavanza.

The guy who displayed some skills and played his game was the the Japanese "Shudo"(sp?)- waited for his time then triangle and arm bar.

backbreaker
04-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Genki Sudo. Looked like he had a bit of internal when he drives his hips, spine, and tailbone to get the armbar. But standing up is where it's at.

SevenStar
04-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
MMA events- no art in that gladiator sport. Perfect for the vicarious pleasure of voyeurs.

I disagree. watch sudo fight. Check out sperry's one punch KO in the last bushido. cro cop's leg kicks... you can find art all throughout mma.

Still -its battle- some lessons apply.

naturally.

Lidell played his best game- striking- poor boxing but still striking mostly. Tito tried to "box"(except for a couple of futile take down attempts)- obviously not his bestgame.
The audience got their jollies. Did they learn anything? No- IMO except how to order PPV or get tickets early for the Shamrock-Kimo extragavanza.

I would venture to say the general population doesn't watch mma to learn something - they do it for entertainment. To people who are looking for them, sure there are lessons to be learned.

The guy who displayed some skills and played his game was the the Japanese "Shudo"(sp?)- waited for his time then triangle and arm bar.

Sudo is awesome.

David Jamieson
04-03-2004, 11:39 AM
well one wouldn't consider an automobile "art" either, but concept cars are and racing cars are.

"state of the art", "applied art".

MMA events- no art in that gladiator sport

I used to think like that too. But then I thought about two little words.

"Martial"

"Art"

...and yes, there are a lot of crappy fighters in pro venues, but that can't be taken away from them, at least they are out there giving it their shot. Kudos to them and they don't always lose site of refining the rest of it either (think "O" :D ).

Personal mastery is not dominance of others, but it can certainly be an aspect of it's manifestation.

anyway...

cheers

Knifefighter
04-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
MMA events- no art in that gladiator sport. Perfect for the vicarious pleasure of voyeurs. Still -its battle- some lessons apply.
The audience got their jollies. Did they learn anything? No- IMO except how to order PPV or get tickets early for the Shamrock-Kimo extragavanza.If you are looking for art, go to a dance performance... which is basically what many "martial" arts are.

If you are looking to learn things about what heppens when two skilled fighters go against each other, there is a lot to be learned... if you have the awareness to be able to see it.

DragonzRage
04-03-2004, 03:24 PM
"Lidell played his best game- striking- poor boxing but still striking mostly."

"Poor boxing"?? Don't diss the deadly and sophisticated art of Hawaiian Kempo, foo!!!

SevenStar
04-03-2004, 05:39 PM
the diaz / lawler fight was nuts...

FatherDog
04-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
the diaz / lawler fight was nuts...

That was the only fight I picked wrong - I was looking for a KO from Lawler. I think it's a fluke, personally - Diaz had his eyes closed while throwing that right. Pure luck. I give him props for trying to press Lawler, though - he really dictated the pace of the fight.

rubthebuddha
04-04-2004, 01:46 AM
sometimes luck is merely being tough enough to stay out there long enough to give that magical shot a chance to connect. :D

SanSoo Student
04-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Sometimes luck is hearing the gong right before you get KTFO...:D

truewrestler
04-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Chi?

http://www.maxfighting.com/ufc47/1_Genki000.JPG

Nope, skill

http://www.maxfighting.com/ufc47/1_Genki004.JPG

backbreaker
04-04-2004, 12:08 PM
:D

Chang Style Novice
04-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Actually, what that first photo illustrates is neither skill nor chi, but merely a rapid shutter speed.

That bottom one, though? MAD SKILL!

truewrestler
04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
yeah, I put the caption above the links :)