PDA

View Full Version : wing chun techniques?

kungfu cowboy
05-04-2001, 07:52 AM
Since the dawn of time, in the days of the caveman, practitioners have believed that wing chun is an art based on spontaneously occuring (well, against an opponent, not just out of the blue) offensive and defensive skills. I have heard that some schools work on prearranged techniques, learning set movements. Aside from the basic drills which are necessary to ingrain the proper positioning, energy, and "reflex" ability, should this be done? Isn't it a waste of time, and a learning of bad habits that goes against training for a thought-free automatic martial ability? Whaddya think?

Dave Farmer
05-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Yeah I get what You are saying.

In essence yes turning Wing Chun's technique into rigid pre formed drills can work against the fundamentals if done to excess.

But in the case of expressing the application of specific element of a techniques to a student they are a useful tool.

I've seen schools who rigidly spend months covering the same drill, programming a response that can give bad habits, but as long as the emphasis is on understanding not programming, drills are ok.

Regards

Dave F

'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

benny
05-06-2001, 06:41 AM
i beleive that is the main problem with drills as the situation is going to be different every time so we do a bit but it is mostly a certain block and you do what ever follow up feels right. as opposed to the block then hit the elbow then throw sort of thing.

tiger_1
05-06-2001, 09:43 PM
im mean fine and good theme and im suport . my opinion is if is men traning hard real kung fu inside 3style in wing chun can be in motion and real efective. - just friendly tiger_1 ;)

/

kungfu cowboy
05-06-2001, 09:56 PM
Hi tiger_1!I haven't seen you post for awhile. How you doing? :D