PDA

View Full Version : mantis clips from main forum

Oso
04-03-2004, 05:13 PM
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29391

clips 1 and 2 are basically warmups and basic hand drills.

there is a form on clip 3 I'd love to have someone ID for me.

TIA

mantis108
04-03-2004, 05:41 PM
The clips are in Divx format I think. I can't view any of them.

Mantis108

mantisben
04-03-2004, 05:53 PM
It looks like some kind of Mei Hua Praying Mantis. It looks great!

Thanks for the link!

German Bai Lung
04-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi Robert,

try: MPlayer OS X 2 if you use a Mac!

@all:

the clips are very good. Are the guys from poland?
The forms are very good performed. Good job.

Oso
04-04-2004, 02:42 AM
http://www.mantisboxing.msk.ru/masters_eng.html

ok, just looked at the root website for the linked files.

It seems to be Shrfu Yuri Babin's website in Moscow.

He is under Shrfu Ilya Profatilov

I don't want to do it w/o permission but I could try to convert the files to .wmv or .mpg. If anyone from Ilya's group could give me the go ahead, I would and then repost them.

mantis108
04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Well, I finally got to downland a Divx player and watched these wonderful clips.

I will have to say it's 2 thumbs way up (I would give more thumbs up if I have more than 2 ;) .)

These clips haven't received that good a response on the main board unfortunately. Personally, I applaud the sincere and truthful efforts to bring what is mostly shrawed in mystery about traditional trianing to the open. I think they deserves recognitions. In a way, I think the general public isn't ready for it. The "Kung Fu is just forms and dances" status quo still occupies most people's mind. But then again, traditional Kung Fu training, which in this case mantis training, might not be that ground shaking as some people thought or rather imagine.

As far as body conditioning goes, I believe these ones are done with some qigong perparations before hand. Also they haven't shown the Kao Da with it.

The drills, I believe, are part of Shifu Profatilov's Guo Shou stages. Some of these are found in CCK TCPM as well; however, we drill them a bit differently.

The forms are plenty, I think there are some Zhaiyao, Luanjie (pretty possitive about this), Fanche, etc...

Anyway, I enjoy these clips better than a bunch of forms available on VCD these days. BTW, the flavor is distinctively different from the Sun De camp although it is clear to me that they are related styles.

Mantis108

Tainan Mantis
04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Mantis108
What and where did you download the software?

I downloaded DivX5.1.1
It has something in there called DivX Decoder Configuration.
But it doesn't help for the clips.
When I try to play the clip the real player opens and says it needs to download software to play the clip.
The computer automatically downloads the software.
The I try to play the clip and the computer has to down the same software, much quicker for all following downloads, but still the clip never plays.

mantis108
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi Tainan,

I know bloody technology! It's a darn waste of time trying to download stuff with different formats.

Here's the link to the Divx player

Divx (http://download.com.com/3000-2139-10247467.html?tag=lst-0-8)

Yours is a Mac right? May be you could try saving those clips to your desktop (right click save target as). Then you use the Divx player to open those clips. I not sure if Quicktime will work with the Divx player.

I use Media Player mostly but sometime it won't load the AVI files. So I have to use the Divx player instead.

Warmest regards

Mantis108