PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody here ever used the triangle post dummy?

phantom
02-01-2001, 10:48 PM
Some wing chun practitioners use the triangle post dummy to improve the timing, accuracy, and power of their kicks, as well as to improve their footwork. The triangle post dummy consists of one full size tree and two sawed off tree trunks, all three wrapped in padding. I know that you are supposed to apply dit da jow before doing tree training, and some people claim that you should use the jow during the training, also. However, I was also told that sunlight, air, wind, water, and extreme hot and cold temperatures can destroy the jow's healing properties, all of which you can be exposed to when being outside. So is this kind of training really worth doing? What kind of benefits can it give you that the wooden dummy cannot? Thank you for any insight that you can give me on this topic.

phantom
02-07-2001, 11:02 PM
just to keep the thread alive

marcw1
02-08-2001, 02:37 AM
To my understanding it teaches positioning and body alignment for maximum power to attack your opponents lower extremeties. Sifu never stressed using dit dow, he always stressed you wont have time to put dit dow when your fighting. We call our version of this, tams twelve kicking exercise
Six on the pole six on the ground

marcw1
02-08-2001, 02:44 AM
To my understanding it teaches positioning and body alignment for maximum power to attack your opponents lower extremeties. Sifu never stressed using dit dow, he always stressed you wont have time to put dit dow when your fighting. We call our version of this, tams twelve kicking exercise
Six on the pole six on the ground. I feel it's worth it, since the poles in the ground are loose
they promotes more springness in the legs than using the dummy im my opinion. Which creates a more realistic feeling when attacking your opponents legs.

BeiKongHui
02-11-2001, 05:37 PM
I believe there was a brief article on the T.P.D. in the Wing Chun magazine that Martial Arts Legends (http://www.cfwenterprises.com) put out around December.

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

EmptyCup
07-14-2001, 11:23 PM
I practice the three-post foot dummy, but not on posts. Instead, I use one post that's really a supporting column for the ceiling :) and two chairs that double for the other posts

this way I don't necessarily condition my legs but I can practice the stances and footwork of fighting techniques

I can still kick hard on the column though...

IMO, I think the wooden dummy is more worth my time so I don't really care if I don't get the 100% realism of having three posts as opposed to one and two chairs :)

IronFist
07-15-2001, 03:31 AM
"Sifu never stressed using dit dow, he always stressed you wont have time to put dit dow when your fighting. "

Um, that's why you use jow in practice, so you'll be strong enough in a fight to not hurt yourself. Is that the only reason you sifu used for not using jow?

Iron