PDA

View Full Version : Edwards vs. Franca

Oso
04-04-2004, 07:51 PM
ok, I felt Franca had it. not but much maybe.

SevenStar
04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
I think it was thug jitsu all the way.

Xebsball
04-04-2004, 09:16 PM
its "França" please, thank you.

Oso
04-05-2004, 02:50 AM
why?

Franca had more shots and more techniques on the ground.

Edwards didn't do much offensively either standing or on the ground.

I'll watch again.

*edit*

btw, just curious about your perspective/review of the match.

Merryprankster
04-05-2004, 07:26 AM
man, i like yves, but thought franca won. franca pressed the action. yves didn't even counter, much, just defended. when matches are that close, you have to consider aggression and ring generalship, which i thought franca had hands down.

Oso
04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
tenacious.

he had some high kicks for a little guy, too.

I did expect yves to grab one of them but he never did.

SevenStar
04-05-2004, 07:55 AM
hmm...I'll re-watch it tonight. He did a bangup job with his defense - her kept the fight where he wanted it, which was standing. He was agressive, but landed very few shots as I recall - some wide kicks and punches that yves easily avoided. I do agree that franca was the more aggressive though.

FatherDog
04-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
man, i like yves, but thought franca won. franca pressed the action. yves didn't even counter, much, just defended. when matches are that close, you have to consider aggression and ring generalship, which i thought franca had hands down.

I dunno, I think effectiveness has to be a criterion too, yes? Franca had a lot of strikes, but none of them were effective shots; if you fall down while you're kicking, you're obviously not making much of an impact on your opponent. Yves landed some hard shots on the feet and the ground, and reversed Franca several times.

I could see it either way.

Personally, my favorite part was when Franca stands up at the end and says "100% Jiu Jitsu!" Big ups on the jiu jitsu spinning back kick. :D

Oso
04-05-2004, 08:06 AM
yea, I couldn't believe he kept throwing those kicks. i think the kicking was ineffective and a poor strategy for Franca, but Yves didn't make him pay for it.

what would be you guy's thoughts on why Yves didn't try to catch and dump him with them? ...not worth the effort? I would think if he could have caught one, especially a spinning one, he could have gotten a good dropping throw because being taller than Franca, he would have had some lift on Franca's body after the catch.

Merryprankster
04-05-2004, 08:16 AM
I thought yves' striking was evened out by franca's solid submission attempts. On the other hand, I was taking percocet at the time....

SevenStar
04-05-2004, 08:20 AM
probably didn't wanna e on the ground with a bjj blackbelt...

Oso
04-05-2004, 09:49 AM
I thought yves' striking was evened out by franca's solid submission attempts. On the other hand, I was taking percocet at the time....

lol

probably didn't wanna e on the ground with a bjj blackbelt...

point...but didn't he try a kimura that almost worked? key word of course is almost...and I may have it backwards as to who did the kimura and who countered it with the armbar...that was the best bit, I think.

Franca was squirrely and good humored throughout the match so I liked him better as a competitor.

hey, what about the bite?

or the dude with the striped goatee...?

SevenStar
04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
he did almost get the kimura - I think yves handled himself pretty fuggin good on the ground against him.

I'm not sure about the bite - dude raised a good point - he had his mouthpiece in - how could he have bitten him?

backbreaker
04-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Do you mean Tiki with the striped goatee. When I first saw him fighting at ufc 24 ( awesome UFC, but Pedro Rizzo was supposed to destroy Kevin Randleman and all his fanboys at that one, but Randleman slipped backstage or something, but Lance Gibson vs. Jermaine Andre made up for it) I thought tiki was quite good. He did not look good against Robbie Lawler lol though. On friday I thought he looked okay again, so I don't know