PDA

View Full Version : Here's a link to fight footage

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Disclaimer: I'm a sloppy mess. This is not my teacher's technique. You'll see me gas out.

www.chan-internal-martial-arts.com/rayfight.html

lkfmdc
04-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I am waiting for www.USKBA.com to post official results and pictures but let me state the obvious

the real warriors are the ones who step up

Anyone who actually gets in there and fights deserves praise and respect. It's easy to sit in a chair in the audience and talk about "what I would've done" but it's quite a different thing to actually DO IT

As I told you after the fight, the "reality" of a match with a person not from your school, not using your technique and trying to actually hurt you makes for a very different game than any in school sparring or drills. And it makes a huge difference.

You'll live and you'll learn, probably a lot from even just this one fight.

See you again next time :D

Suntzu
04-05-2004, 09:08 AM
:cool:

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks. I learned a ton.

Watching the video, I have to work on not letting the guy clinch me. At the time it seems like a nice idea to save energy, but I'm a striker. The more my hands are doing the better.

Also, too many sloppy punches. A lot of it was not being focused enough, gettin taken out of my game by nerves and endurance.

Train, train, train... come back another day.

What's the deal with Sept.'s fights? Is it a tournament set up, where it's multiple fights in a day?

Well, thank you again Mr. Ross. You run a nice program there. You should be proud of your students. The guy with the ponytail and beard I thought stood out in Jan.'s fight and he's a nice guy.

Ray

Suntzu
04-05-2004, 09:21 AM
good show... it's no fun unless you end up a sloppy mess… …… so the extra long clinches are now part of the game?… because I was totally taken be surprise last time… adds a WHOLE NEW deminsion….

oh… and Coach… u get my check?…

Pork Chop
04-05-2004, 09:28 AM
You mean we're not getting separated as soon as we clinch anymore?

Ralphie
04-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Nice!
Couple of questions...The guy had a pretty big reach advantage on you. Have you thought of going down a few weight classes, or are you at your comfortable fighting weight now? Also, what strategy are you going to use to defend the clinch?

red5angel
04-05-2004, 10:17 AM
nice, which one are you e-fist? congrats for getting in the ring! Now I just need to find some competitions in my area!

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 10:42 AM
He had quite a reach but he never used it. I tend to charge in and was hoping to feel him out, and play a little of the jam your strike and counter game the first round but he came right at me so the fight was on right away.

When I'm performing well, doing what I should, I like to strike the strike near the forearm to get a connection and then go in -- especiallt against the big guy.

As for weight, I was initially going for 194 but the Tai boxer I was supposed to fight came in at 200-something so I just ran and skipped rope and kept eating healthy.

I always have the problem of drawing bigger guys because I weighed in at 201. Ideally, I could be fighting at 185-188 and be the biggest instead of the smallest. But in reality, I want to be a great MA, sport is seperate. I want to be confident against anyone regardless of size.

This was different than most fights I've had. The last one I had was with MMA gloves and my first two fights were stopped by the ref in the first round. So I was tired, but not pushed like this. I eventually lost in decision by the guy who won and took third.

Condition is my biggest problem. As for the clinch, we were instructed that it would be 5 seconds but allowed longer if we stayed active. He kept throwing knees so I guess that's why they allowed it and I'm glad ... I learned what I need to work on now.

I was happy with how I handle his kicking and punching. I need to work on getting better position in the clinch (his hight gave him nice leverage to just lean on me) and condition myself better. I'm enjoying this week and chilling out, I'll start training again on Fri., and after my 30th B-day on May 2, I'll start conditioning for the Sept. fights.

That was pretty sloppy. Win or lose, I want to show more technique, more door opening, ect.

lkfmdc
04-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I got the check, but being so busy I'm insane now I haven't even put it in yet. Should deposit it today and mail you your tape tomorrow. Sorry, just crazy busy with event, house renovations, wedding and all

We allow a lot of clinching in our events, not like USA WKF events

MasterKiller
04-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by lkfmdc
Sorry, just crazy busy with event, house renovations, wedding and all Instead of getting married, you can just give me half of your money and I'll make your life as miserable as possible.

lkfmdc
04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Instead of getting married, you can just give me half of your money and I'll make your life as miserable as possible.

oh how true dat :D

fa_jing
04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi E - thanks for the footage and the great effort at the end. I'm going to give you my opinion - 1st of all, you had a tough opponent. He had some serious weapons. I think your technique was fine, was not the issue. It was all conditioning and power-endurance. The first two throws took something out of you, and then after he "threw himself," you had an opening and he was folding pretty much. But you didn't have enough force in your punches throughout the flurry to gain a significant advantage, and that was your last best chance to win the fight.

You have heart and you are a skilled puncher. You need 1 more major weapon in the clinch. A throw or a knee or a hand combination. For me it's a knee.

You also need to lose 20 pounds, without losing strength. You look like a strong guy. Had you fought him at 180 and him over 200+, you probably would have won the fight, because your conditioning would have been that much better.

You need to move around more too. He was coming toward you and you welcomed this because you wanted to get in close. However, I feel we all need to be proactive with the footwork.

Did you like my assessment? If you want I can FTP you my fight footage, including a fight where I was TKO'd.

backbreaker
04-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Cool fight. Thanks for posting it. I think it looked like a good first time fight. IMO, which isn't worth alot here, I think looked similar to first time Muay Thai fighters who are pretty good sometimes. It looked to me that when you were letting your hands go, at your range was when you had the best chance. Did you get hit with any bad knees? Or were you fine with the knees? I won't criticise because I haven't even fought yet, so no matter what I can't think for some magic reason I would do any better first time. Just that I will sink into my hips, they say in Taiji if you are still stiff after many years it's because of the lower back, hips, and groin, so you can't sink and will get tense when you fight. But to think about it, tension could very well also have to do with nerves. And of course many first time fights go the distance

Suntzu
04-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Coach - i figured things were busy cuz of the event... didn't know about the other stuff... you will be missed... i mean congrats on the wedding...:D

my first fight i went out there like a wild man.... i don't even remember most of it..... by the 3rd round my lungs were on fire.... i could barely finish.... my last fight... i was wayyy more composed... i still only remember half of it.... and by the 3rd my lungs were on fire.... and i could barely finish.... and i was in wayyy better condition than the first first fight... THANKS IAN :D..... the nervous tension gets better with experience..... but the butterflies never go away......

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Fa-Jing, you are right on in your assesment.

As for the knees, they never really bothered me. I went back and forth from blocking them (to negate points earned on me) and just saying the hell with them to try and get a hit in.

I was surprised that his blows didn't hurt. He connected with one shot in the second round that was a "hello" shot, but other than that nothing really landed heavy. In fact, early on I was feeling good, that he couldn't hurt me. But he used his leverage well.

I need to remind myself to get my legs under me no matter how tired I am in the clinch, not to lean. By mid-second round though I was a rag doll and that's why I bowed out. I had a woozy head the week before from training and didn't want to leave myself open to a big head shot.

He played a great game and deserved to win. San Da is a lot of fun and I hope to be in there leaner and meaner in Sept, maybe fighting at 185. If I train and surf no problem it shouldn't be a big deal. I can actually put it on and take it off quite easily.... just been enjoying a new girl this winter and hybernation, ect.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 12:02 PM
I was also overextending on my strikes... some wild doozies.

What I should have done when he covered up was hook him, snatch his shield, open him up, hook with the left and do the same and turn it into chi sau ... but again, low fuel, low output.

MasterKiller
04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I was wonderning why you didn't kick more. I think you could have stuck him with some front heel kicks.

DragonzRage
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
good effort man. You're the shorter guy not wearing a shirt right? Or were you the taller guy in black? Keep testing yourself. Every time you step in there you get a little better and use more technique than last time.

stubbs
04-05-2004, 01:05 PM
lol @ the girl shouting "finish him!" at the end like in mortal kombat.

i've never been in the ring before but i'd like to soon. i've found a vale tudo place not far from me so i think i'll go see what they're like.

just a few q's:

why didn't you knee him in the clinch?
what was your coachs' assesment?
what sort of training were you doing leading up to the match?
what sort of training are you planning on doing for your next one?
________
YAMAHA VIRAGO (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_Virago)

DragonzRage
04-05-2004, 01:19 PM
as you said yourself, you should work on fighting in the clinch. The other guy didn't seem to have very good hands, and you were able to take the fight to him by closing in and throwing punches. He might've won the fight, but at least he didn't really put you away. Like I said, just keep training and keep stepping in there. All of us who fight know that we are a tier above those who never had the courage to, regardless of style. good job!

sakko
04-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Dude you gave him a pummeling man, good job... I know EXACTLY where you are at with the stamina thing, but I don't know the proper way to train for it?

I would like to know the steps you plan on taking to improve your stamina. I noticed the taller dude didn't seem to run outta steam too quick, he always had enough energy for a pretty good punch or kick.

Also, I just spar in my kung fu class, light contact etc. but I find myself winded and stuff. I've been jogging and it helps a little but there's always room for more improvement.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2004, 01:57 PM
you would beat my ass.

Suntzu
04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
I've been jogging and it helps a little but there's always room for more improvement. might wanna try to throw in some sprints..... i was doing "suicides" for a while on the b-ball court around my way..... helped a little.......

GDA rd 1 0:52 by hilarious humor with bad taste

Ray Pina
04-05-2004, 02:05 PM
He thinks the other guy hasn't trained too long, but fought a very smart fight, saying the other school "knows how to fight." Then he through in the stinger that the other guy looked more like his student ... ouch.

Anyway, he said that it wasn't so much conditioning than that I wore myself out. After the other guy initiated action, it triggered "fight" in me and I went kind of nuts and when I tired he clinched my head pulling me down making it hard to breath, ala Jesus on the cross.

He went on to say that I also wasted more energy striking his body in the clinch and that shows nervousness .... true, true.

Thank God he says that I'm actually in a very good position there and that there's a million things to do. So I'm going to go learn them and prepare for the next one.

I have no audio on my computer and he says some chick is yelling and its kind of funny, too.

Suntzu
04-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Thank God he says that I'm actually in a very good position there and that there's a million things to do. i noticed that too..... a good throw game may or may not have given you an edge..... i was watching like "Oh, TURN!!!".... lol

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
GDA rd 1 0:52 by hilarious humor with bad taste

i was being serious though. ef would thoroughly kick my pasty white little ass.

not that i wouldnt enjoy it mind you.

Ray Pina
04-06-2004, 07:19 AM
GDA, I have the feeling you're a very tough man.

Merryprankster
04-06-2004, 07:59 AM
"Anyway, he said that it wasn't so much conditioning than that I wore myself out."

WTF! "you're not out of shape, just fight slower?"

"Then he through in the stinger that the other guy looked more like his student "

WTF!!!

Knifefighter
04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Then he through in the stinger that the other guy looked more like his student ... ouch.So, the other guy has trained just a short amount of time, but his instructor has managed to teach him how to apply the fighting principles your teacher is trying to teach.

Sounds like you should train under the other guy's instructor.

Ray Pina
04-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Aaaaah,

If you knew him you'd love him but that one hurt.

I know what he meant though. The guy fought how he told me to fight, let the guy punch himself out and then go in and finish it. The guy never really hit me, but he wore me out. He fought smarter. That's what my teacher means. Not a matter of fighting slower, but choosing battles and level of engagment, not doing stuff like punching the guys ribs with a pillowed hand when clinched. Maybe gains a point or two, but tires you out. But to work on getting free and save the punching.

If you look at the end of the round, I had him against the ropes but the punchign was undisciplines and drunk like. I was not driving off the back leg and making the uppercuts travel a tight arc, ect.

Well, live and learn and incorporate and go back and do it again, and again. In two years I'm thinking I'll be pretty good.

Pork Chop
04-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
not doing stuff like punching the guys ribs with a pillowed hand when clinched. Maybe gains a point or two, but tires you out. But to work on getting free and save the punching.

I think you're underestimating the debilitating effects a good body shot has on the other guy's endurance; but if it didn't have enough on it and you were punching just to punch, then I can see your point.

DragonzRage
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
"The guy fought how he told me to fight, let the guy punch himself out and then go in and finish it."

I will respectfully disagree with your teacher. If you see right off the bat that your opponent is extremely aggressive and uncontrolled (that is, he's coming right at you and throwing so many excited punches that he's obviously gonna gas himself out within one round) then this strategy might work. On the other hand, if he's well conditioned and attacking you intelligently, then you most definitely do not want to wait on him to gas out. Rounds in the type of fights you're doing are probably pretty short. A well conditioned and well trained opponent will not gas himself out within such a short time frame. If you spend three rounds being defensive and waiting for him to gas while he's punching and kicking you the entire time, you will lose the decision even if he does not do any major damage to you. In these kind of fights you have a very short amount of time to either knock your opponent silly, or at least show the judges what you got. You don't want to gas yourself out, and you definitely want to use strategy. But you still have to take every opportunity to get as many good shots in on the other guy as possible.

As I said, if you can tell that the guy is about to gas himself out, then by all means cover, move and let him finish himself off. But you don't want to always depend on this strategy because its too passive.

MaFuYee
04-06-2004, 12:30 PM
"...you know the thing that took the most out of me was getting thrown..."

...learn to throw.

Unmatchable
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
the clip isn't working.

fa_jing
04-06-2004, 02:31 PM
I really disagree that you wore yourself out by punching him in the gut - I got in a single solid gut shot in one of my fights and it made him significantly weaker. You may have wore yourself out by punching in the clinch and missing or clashing with his arms, however. When my sifu taught me clinch work, there were a lot of rabbit hooks to the side of the head as well as body shots.

When I say your technique was good, I mean that your structure and stance looked good and that I saw you winning the battle of arm vs arm, it reminded me of Xing-Yi sometimes where you kind of bounced his arm away with the forearm of your punch or manipulated it slightly to create room to land.

fa_jing
04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Here's an example of what my Sifu used to do to train

Jump rope 15-30 minutes a day

go 10 rounds punching on the heavy bag, with 20 incline situps between each round.

etc....insane airshield and thai pads circuits....

IronFist
04-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Link down. Someone host it please?