PDA

View Full Version : Another KB workout

IronFist
04-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I was really tired today when I went to the gym, but I did more KB stuff this time.

With the 1 pood (36lbs), I did two sets of 10 snatches with each hand, with 2 minutes rest. So it's like 10 right hand, 10 left hand, rest 2:00, 10 right hand, 10 left hand.

Haha, that's like nothing as far as KB'ing goes, right? But afterward my HR was 162. hahaha. KB's are tough.

I think snatches will be the only KB exercise I do. Everything else is too shoulder intensive. But, I think I like them.

I just wish they had a bigger KB. At the end I was getting tired as hell, but my muscles weren't that tired.

Oh, I did it where you just bring the KB between your legs between each rep. I didn't set it down on the ground between reps.

btw, my gym has two 1 poods, and two 4kg ones. What is that like 1/4 pood?

We have these magnetic "plate mate" things. I think they weigh 2.5lbs each. Maybe I could stick those to the KB, but that might offset its balance or something. I dunno.

Ka
04-05-2004, 11:51 PM
4kg I didn't know they made them that light.
Surprised you hadn't tried swings before.Foundation stuff.
Bent Press, Windmills (but you don't want shoulder stuff right)
Pistols with the 1 pod?.Overhead squats?

Ford Prefect
04-06-2004, 06:07 AM
You'll probably tire of the 1 pood ones real quick. Once you get used to the movement they feel way too light. Snatches are pretty killer though. That 4kg one must be light. My girl has a 8kg one and I think I could pitch with it.

fa_jing
04-06-2004, 08:48 AM
IF - conditioning is the limiting factor at first, then after a while it's your muscles. Do double snatches or alternating snatches, it will be more taxing at that weight. Swing -style is good.

Oh, and people do use platemates or tape on plates. You'll have to see how it goes.

IronFist
04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, I guess I could do double snatches cuz we have two 1 pood KBs.

Does anyone have any links to pics of someone doing that? Cuz if I tried it now I think I'd hit the two KB's together on the way up at like shoulder height. Besides, how do you swing both of them between your legs at the bottom?

I think I'm gonna stick with single ones for a while, tho.

As for swings, I think I did a couple swings before I tried doing snatches. Wait, aren't swing just like a snatch except you stop at waist height? Yeah, I really didn't have much use for those other than getting used to the KB and practicing locking out my hips.

I haven't tried overhead squats yet, but why would I do that with a KB instead of a barbell?

fa_jing
04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Try double swings, that should be challenging and not too demanding of your technique. Just keep the legs a bit wider apart. During swings, pay extra attention to not rounding the lower back. It may help to have someone watch you from the side. For double snatches, it's just like high double swings so the bells should not hit each other, but do practice the one armed version first until you can manage a soft flip over your forearm.

As for why you would do OH squats with a KB, the same reason you would with dumbells - just cause you had them. OH squats with KB have the added advantage of training the OH portion of the competion KB jerk for reps.

fa_jing
04-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, and you can throw that OH squat in there as part of a bear-type routine.

For instance, dead clean, front squat, jerk, OH squat repeat for reps.

Ka
04-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Yep
I find KB OH Squats very different(different balance point) from BB OH Squats and will worth including.But I used it before starting snatch with KBs and the Turkish GU, which by the sounds of you didn't require.
For me Swings, Combos,Passes and juggling are good in time based circuits for CV conditioning.
You might like this for reference
http://www.slidetour.com/sample1/display/kettlebell_swing/kettlebell_swing.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlebells.php?Name=One-Arm+Kettlebell+Swings

fa_jing
04-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Ka - that first link is the best demonstration of KB swings that I have seen on the 'net.

IronFist
04-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Juggling? wtf mate?

IronFist
04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
That second link says the main muscles worked is hamstrings. Oh wait, it's talking about swings. Well, still, I don't think hamstrings would be the main muscle worked.

fa_jing
04-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes, they are the main muscles worked.

Ford Prefect
04-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Yeah, Iron. It's tough to tell with the the light bell because you can do a trillion of them, but the hamstrings are the prime movers in the swing. It's very similar to an explosive box squat.

IronFist
04-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Man, I was messing around with KBs the other day and I altered my form a bit and I almost hit myself on the head at the top of a snatch with my left hand cuz my elbow was bent a little too much.

heh, oops.

I remember in the ads for KB's it says something like "Use your KB responsibly. We're not responsible for your boinking yourself on the head or anything." And I think it actually uses the word "boink." lol

Ka
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
FJ
Yep thats from Crossfit,IMHO still the best functional strength and fittness resource on the net, and always improving.
IF
"Juggleing" don't know why they use that particular word,as it is more of a toss,check out Cotter's vid.
Re: Swing: Definate hamy's probally more in endurance format at that weight for you.
LOL:D Watch out for the Boink

fa_jing
04-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I still have a mark on my eye socket from the gash I opened up hitting myself during a jerk on the way up.

fa_jing
04-09-2004, 10:56 AM
still, not as bad as this powerlifter guy I once knew who dropped 400 pounds on his chest