PDA

View Full Version : aboutshaolin.com

Judge Pen
04-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Anyone know anythign of this site? Is it a good source for information? Who operates it?

norther practitioner
04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Been posted a few times...

they just started a forum too.

here was the email I got this morning:

http://www.aboutshaolin.com/forum/index.php

Enjoy and share your thoughts and questions about Shaolin.

Remeber, you must help Shaolin community to let it exist.....

MasterKiller
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I see your boy Musashi is over there starting a ruckuss!

http://www.aboutshaolin.com/forum/threads.php?id=461_0_10_0_C

Shaolinlueb
04-06-2004, 01:49 PM
this is a good site for kung fu too. :p:o :eek:
http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos2/

David Jamieson
04-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Thta reminded me of the kids in teh hall sketch "he's hip, he's cool he's 45"

lol @ biker fox yeesh! It takes all kinds donut?

hahaha

Ralphie
04-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Wong Kiew Kit is from Indonesia (I think), so his understanding may be from people closer to the source. Who knows?

Judge Pen
04-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Well I don't know who he is, but the "Editorial Team" addressed his message like there was some validity to Su Kong. I've NEVER seen anyone outside of an SD site (and the genetics paper from CA) akcnowledge Su Kong soooooo I was wondering about their "Editorial Staff" I'd love for them to be third-party types. . .

Originally posted by Ralphie
Wong Kiew Kit is from Indonesia (I think), so his understanding may be from people closer to the source. Who knows?

Well that's what I'm hoping: Someone outside of SD with some information pertaining to our much maligned lineage.

John Dufresne
04-06-2004, 02:43 PM
As most of us know the Northern Temple was destroyed in 1928
As far as the southern temple- here an account I found interesting.

"Mr. Chen Si Dong later had 13 articles in the Quan Zhou Evening News covering "Southern Shaolin Temple at Quan Zhou.? His resources included the Song Dynasty work "Jiading WenLing Records? edited by Minister Cheng Zhuo, a Ming Dynasty copy of the "History of the Qing Yuan area?, an 1810 copy of the Records of the Western Mountain, the 1927 "Martial Lineage of the Fu,? and the 1941 "Shaolin Martial Arts Reference? by Tang Hao.

Here are the main points Mr. Chen covers. First, all the materials, old to new, record the location of the Southern Shaolin Temple as Quan Zhou's eastern area, in the Qing Yuan mountain's eastern peak. The Records of the Western Mountain, say "The wisdom of the ¯13 Empties' entered Min, built the Shaolin Temple on Qing Yuan Mountain, and settled there. Min's martial monks all begin from this place.? "The Shaolin Temple began with 13, and a high wall. The temple's monks number in the thousands, with hundreds of acres and fragrant forests.? Because Quanzhou Shaolin opposed the Min ruler, Wang Shen Zhi, the temple was razed for the first time. In the Song dynasty because "thousands of monks opposed the Mongols,? the temple was razed for a second time.
Then in 1763, the Qing emperor issued orders to raze it again, however it was never rebuilt.

Hmmmmmmm

Brad
04-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Wong Kiew Kit's group seems very very out there :confused:

Brad
04-06-2004, 06:41 PM
yoink :p

YinYangDagger
04-06-2004, 08:32 PM
LOL OBVIOUSLY when musashi asked about su kong the "editorial staff" did an internet search to provide the answer. What they wrote about him was straight from the SD crowd.

either that, or B, the site is ran by some SD'er :D

don't fall for the conspiracy known as SD

further, at least Wong Kiew Kit's martial art LOOKS like kung fu :rolleyes:

stimulant
04-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Wong Kiew Kit is from Malaysia.

He knows his stuff and is (by all accounts) good, but he and his students seem to be arrogant.

He claims shaolin arts are the best martial arts based on their history and mutitude of great fighters they have produced. A good claim, but he should also include Muay Thai and Silat to then!

His students can fight with the movements they use in their forms, but they lack power from what I've seen.

Wong Kiew Kit does have exception qi-gong i've read and heard on several occasions. I would like to meet him one day and see for myself.

just my 2 cents worth.

and yup....southern shaolin was never rebuilt. As i've said before (and got lots of stick for it on this forum) 'shaolin kung-fu still exists, but shaolin monks....?'

My Shifu has told us several times there were no monks (soldier monks) in shaolin until after Jet Li's 'Shaolin temple'....then they started appearing...doing wushu style shaolin! (paid by the chinese government to)!

www.zhenwei.org

MasterKiller
04-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Yeah, it looks like they Googled the name in that initial response. Where do you guys keep getting stuff like:

Actually, the Chinese have heard of the legend of the 'Hairy Monk' and when Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé met the head abbott of the temple in 1999 or something like that, and they found out his lineage, it caused a large commotion in the temple. :rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
04-07-2004, 07:14 AM
man SD on the aboutshaolin i saw that and was like (click x in corner).

John Dufresne
04-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Check this out!
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-3-83-811.jsp#12

Banjos_dad
04-08-2004, 09:27 AM
I am not a student or acquaintance of Mr. Wong Kiew Kit, but an admirer, by way of his books.
If you actually look into it, you will discover that Wong's teacher, Mr. Ho Fatt Nam, was trained in "Siamese Boxing, Malay Silat and seven other styles of kung fu, and who earned his living as a professional Siamese Boxing fighter" before emptying his cup and undertaking the study of Shaolin kung fu from Mr. Yang Fa Kun.

Page 39 of The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu , Wong Kiew Kit, c2001 Vermillion, ISBN 0-8048-3439-3

Just FYI. And, before you take a shot at Wong you need to be capable of displaying hmmmmm....very GOOD kungfu.

About that shaolin website, I registered but found it hard to use anything on the site...You have to be at a particular "level" to look at the articles...Apparently the "Diamond Sutra" shouldn't be available to the rank and file...:confused: Why am I at your site if it's all off limits and what am I supposed to do to gain access? And will it be rather errrr, unpleasant?

Judge Pen
04-08-2004, 10:59 AM
And will it be rather errrr, unpleasant? [/B]

What? Like in the backseat of a Volkswagon?

Banjos_dad
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
That would be one of the less pleasant possibilities, yeah.
The site looks promising, but what are you supposed to do, to gain access to the content?
Has anyone been able to access the articles they claim are available? I bet I'm overlooking something really obvious but I'll be darned if I can find it.:confused:
What I could view of the site looks cool. Frustration breeds derision in me sometimes (always).
Glad to meet you JP. Read a lot of your posts. You're a very patient man from what I can tell. B_d

Judge Pen
04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
[i]Originally posted by Banjos_dad
Glad to meet you JP. Read a lot of your posts. You're a very patient man from what I can tell. B_d

Likewise. Patient? Nah, just lots of down time in front of a computer and a love of good debate.

Banjos_dad
04-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I visited the aboutshaolin.com site again and I don't know what happened but I'm level 6 now. Reckon it was the pushups, or is there a secret benefactor reading this thread?
I'll do some more in gratitude.
(Ghostly wind & bamboo flute sounds...thunderclap.)

norther practitioner
04-09-2004, 01:30 PM
I got this email today:

Many of our members frequently ask about Levels. Levels are as follows:

Level 1. Suspended Member. Although still a member, this person has no
access privileges.
Level 2. Pending Activation. Until you activate your account, by answering
the 2nd Email from our webmasters; you have no access privileges.
Levels 3 - 6. Active Members. Members in good standing will typically be at
one of these levels. These members can log in and read all Articles
sections.
Levels 7 - 11. Active Writers. Only article writers and contributors will
typically be at one of these levels.

As you all know Aboutshaolin.com Portal is a non profit Educational
Organization which covers all the essential data for the comprehension of
1500 years of Shaolin Tradition.

So, we decide to create a special section in our English Shaolin Portal just
for Members in good standing, who helped and still help us in our
Educational mission. To get Level 7 access in the English Shaolin Portal, it
is something which depends on our webmasters wish and to your contribution
to Aboutshaolin Portal Community.

After login, your Level status appears next to your name. Also in Member's
public profile link you can see the member's level.

Thank you for your support. About Shaolin Copyright © 2003 and on, All
Rights Reserved.

Banjos_dad
04-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I got that too.
There is some good content.