PDA

View Full Version : first post

justinmorris
04-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone this is my firt post here. I have a very extensive background in the martial arts but my only WC training comes from some videos, some WC at a Shaolin school and a little JKD trapping. I was wondering if someone with a lot of training in WC could help me with a question. ..

I have been boxing and thai boxing for many years now and I like to fight with my left leg forward. If I am fighting a south paw I can use a lot of trapping techniques against my opponents lead hand but If I fight a person in a traditional boxing stance with theri left leg forward any trapping techniques I try opens me up to eat a big fat right hand. If I use my rear hand to block and move to the outside that sometimes works but feels a little akward. I am wondering if this is the case for most WC fighters or just my inexpierience. I am currently seeking to learn more about WC.

On another note if any of you guys have schools I would love to send you a free DVD. I have a very good MMA/BJJ curriculem at my school www.thirdheaven.com

thanks!

Justin Morris

Ernie
04-07-2004, 09:35 AM
welcome justin

there is a thread on countering the jab that might give you some info

nice website

Nick Forrer
04-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi Justin

Generally speaking (of course as with all things there are exceptions) WC has no lead or rear, no favoured hand, side or target. This is not say that we dont ever fight with one foot in front of the other- rather that WC teaches us to be ambidextrous/pedal i.e. to be able to use both hands/feet equally. In part this is possible through our 'facing' position which means that both hands are an equal reach from the target irrespectiveof which ever foot we have forward. This is in contrast to some of the JKD people I have seen who favour a more side on - front hand rear hand approach. This facing preference also allows for simultaneous attack and defence by mapping and covering the space in fornt of us- known as the gates- using the various WC shapes/actions.

Anyway gotta dash now- training calls

yuanfen
04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Justin---
((As Jim R likes to say-gotta run))

((Good wing chun IMO is square bodied- can have either leg forward and can use both hands simultaneously. With good coaching and timing can be effective against boxers- if they can get away from defense against the jab or hook mentality and thereby not be one move behind))))

gotta run.

yuanfen