PDA

View Full Version : Work time workout...

norther practitioner
04-07-2004, 11:22 AM
OK, so I've worked in a 25-35 minute break into my work day...

I'm looking for suggestions for workouts to do during that 25-35 minute break that won't get me too sweaty. So far I've been doing lunges, crunches, and push ups (a few different types). Is it worth it if I don't want to sweat too much at work? I'm going to start doing my endurance/calisthetics (sp?) / cardio stuff after work on Tus. and Thurs. now... go to class on Mon. Wed. and Sat. and do strength stuff inter mixed...

But I'm looking for a little extra, and I was thinking that my pre lunch break would work fine...

any suggestions.

thanks

NP

Pork Chop
04-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I would think (and someone can correct me here) that if you don't want to sweat, your time would be better spent doing something extremely explosive (like oly lifts or low rep plyometrics) or by doing something more technique oriented (maybe stretching, stepping through some techniques, light shadow boxing, etc).

Non-plyometric bodyweight exercises (bwe) are usually designed for endurance. Lifting weights in a non-explosive manner will generally require more sets and repetitions.

I usually don't need to worry about sweat if I'm doing maximal exercise for extremely short bursts; or doing very light exercise for the duration.

Suntzu
04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
in our somewhat nicely equiped fitness room.... if sweat ISN'T on the menu i stick to low rep heavyweight stuff... i use the machines i wouldn't usually touch... leg press... leg ext... cable machine... do stuff like curls and push downs.... shrugs... and watch boxing on the sunshine network when the CNN hounds aren't around....

norther practitioner
04-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys.:D

Serpent
04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Door frame pullups!

norther practitioner
04-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I'll need to get one of the ones that mounts without drilling...

Does someone have that link handy?

Any more ideas?

rubthebuddha
04-07-2004, 09:51 PM
pistols. find a staircase and do then slowly, get the form down, then do whenever you want.

do them every hour or three as well. take a "pee" break, hit the stairs and do some more.

mickey
04-08-2004, 04:17 AM
norther practitioner,

I humbly suggest that you consider using those minutes during the day to meditate or do breathing exercises like 8 pieces of brocade. Doing so will get you mentally pumped and primed for the rest of your work day and for your evening practice.

mickey

norther practitioner
04-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mickey
norther practitioner,

I humbly suggest that you consider using those minutes during the day to meditate or do breathing exercises like 8 pieces of brocade. Doing so will get you mentally pumped and primed for the rest of your work day and for your evening practice.

mickey

I do that in the morning.. and as needed throughout the day. Thank you for the suggestion, I will actually keep that fresh in my head.

Thanks rub.

norther practitioner
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
So, I haven't been on a scale in a grip.... I went to my old room mates house yesterday, jumped on the scale, and almost cried. Winter was evil to me, 13 lbs evil. Granted, I am a little stronger now, so I'm guessing about 3-4 lbs of that is muscle, but I need to take off 10 lbs fast.

By the way, pistols are really hard for me right now (as I'm a chunky ass mofo), but I'm starting to do them. I need to flop a few inches right now onto the second stair outside my office. I hope in a month, I can get them down, and maybe two I can really incorporate them as a staple in my workout.

The good thing is I picked up MY bike... mountain biking season is here, and I am stoked.

blooming lotus
04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
sounds like you're getting some good advice here.

If pistols are too hard at the moment, maybe try them with one hand supported on something...like a desk or chair or a bar????

Still too much?? maybe just 50ea squats to mabu then squats to narrow of same???

I'll second the brocade suggestion and the stretches......maybe some v-hols off a chair or in a staircase???

good luck

norther practitioner
04-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks bl.. I always appreciate your words...

I'm working on pistols...

I've still got squats and thrusts, but the pistols will come.

:D

I just have to give it a few weeks.

YinYangDagger
04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
do the Snake Turns Over program

norther practitioner
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Snake Turns Over program

:confused: