PDA

View Full Version : Filling punch bag

stubbs
04-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I've finally convinced my mum to let me stick a punch bag on the side of the house :)

i don't like to spend money when i don't have too so instead of a punch bag i bought a huge canvas kit bag from an army surplus store. its the perfect size and shape, and its even got good strong eyelets (where the draw cord should be) at the top to hang it from.

so now i've got the bag, what should i fill it with?

im thinking either cutting up a load of old clothes and stuffing the bits in or filling it with dried beans, but im not sure if these would be too hard? i thought about sand but i think i'd just break my knuckles or screw my elbow joints up from the impact. will any kind of beans do? or can anyone think of anything else to fill it with? there's a good farmshop nearby so they might have something. any tips?

cheers,
stubbs
________
CORVETTE C5-R (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5-R)

CaptinPickAxe
04-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I think filling your own will cost about as much as a bag. I'd recommend a 70/30 blend. 70% Cotton (like finely shredded clothing) and 30% Sand. Sand is a must, it'll hurt the first couple of time training, but it conditions your wrists like no other. If the pain continues wear some bag gloves.

stubbs
04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
would the sand just work its way down to the bottom after a while? would i have to keep shaking it up?
________
Indiana transmission (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Indiana_Transmission)

CaptinPickAxe
04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Yes, but even my Everlast does that. You just take a baseball bat, turn it upside down, and beat the sh!t out of it. That will help it dispurse. Also, there is going to be deposits of sand that if your not conditioned to hit, will **** your wrist up. Where gloves and wraps for sure. Then, later on in training, take of the wraps. Then the gloves.

IronFist
04-07-2004, 03:25 PM
I would fill the bottom with some sand, until you get the weight you want. Don't hit this part tho, it hurts. Then fill the rest with tightly packed old clothes. Cut up the clothes. Old blankets work, too. Don't try filling the whole thing with sand because it will get too hard and too heavy. Anyway, depending on the size of the bag, it's probably going to take a lot of old clothes and stuff. Over time and with use they will settle down to the bottom, and become more densely packed. At this point you can add more cut up old clothes to top it off. This will make a pretty good filling.

Or maybe some company sells punching bag filler. I don't know.

blooming lotus
04-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I know ex-shaolin monk Lipeng Zhang is huge on sand bags and believes that a martial artist won't reach their full potential without one. I know he is very receptive to enquiries so if you emailed him with your question, I'm sure he'd help you out.

he's at aushaolin1@yahoo.com

cheers

ps..let us know what he says on the mix

Vash
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
I used to go around to the local orphanages, get the ugly kids who just weren't getting potential-parent turnout, and stuffed them into the bag.

Eventually, though, they settle, so's you gotta put something else in. Since there wasn't enough room for more kids, I just topped it off with cute little puppies.

trevorstalker
04-08-2004, 09:16 AM
I used to go around to the local orphanages, get the ugly kids who just weren't getting potential-parent turnout, and stuffed them into the bag.

You're sick! :) But hey, doesn't it stink your place up? :)

Stubbs,

I use sawdust on mine. No particular reason, just because I can get that for free (I'd have to either buy some bags of sand or steal it from the beach in the middle of the night... :) ). I don't think it gets as heavy as one filled with sand either.

Vash
04-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Naw, it doesn't stink. Take 'em out once a week and hose 'em off, and it's okay.

It's just, the noises don't die down for like a month.

stubbs
04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
thanks for all the advice. i've emailed the ex-monk guy to see what advice he can give me.

trevorstalker - i would steal the sand from the beach but unfortunately i live in england where sandy beaches are few and far between. the one's near me just have pebbles :(

Vash - if i can't get hold of any cute puppies will kittens do? there seems to be a couple of ferral cats around so they'd be easier to get hold of.

cheers,
stubbs
________
THREESOME BABE (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1057/babe/videos/1)

IronFist
04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Have fun breaking your hand when you hit a bag full of sand.

blooming lotus
04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
that's why I said to contact Lipeng....he and many other martial artists have used this techniue for both hand and foot strike practice going way back...and I wouldn't like figt him out of school ;)

I think Iron may be just a little out of his league on this one

cheers

Royal Dragon
04-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Reply]
I don't know, I had a bag filled with 450+ pounds of Iron saw dust collected form the horisontal bandsaw at my old job (Still have it, but it's taken apart to move it, and never got put back together). It's as hard as sand, and three times as heavy. If you just hit soft for a wile, with less reps, and slowly build up to it, you can eventually hit full power with no problem. I'd recomend the use of a good Iron Hand Jow, but you should be fine with sand, if I'm fine with Iron sawdust.

A freind once sugjested dried corn from a feed store, that works really good too, and it's easier on the knuckles.

blooming lotus
04-08-2004, 06:51 PM
like Iron Palm training and starting out with mung means right? hmmmmm..never thought about corn...sounds good for a beginner though

IronFist
04-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

I meant if you hit it hard enough to do anything.

blooming lotus
04-08-2004, 10:59 PM
ok Lipeng's wrong and you're right :rolleyes:

sure thing dude ...thx for sharing your expertise

Ka
04-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Screw the PB idea and build it into a good PB Sand bag for Cardio workouts and a sweet grappling dummy.
Buy mixes of cheap pulses,rice ,sand mixes as said cheapest from a grain store but shop around.Separate into 2-5 kg(doubled) bagies(so you can add weight or remove easier)Sqeeze out air and tie off.
If you just want a Boxing Heavy bag do what Iron said and Pack cotton or wool interspersed with above bagies(go industrial offcuts shops)packed tight.