PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Theories

mickey
04-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I have always wanted to see a book that collected the various fighting theories of the Chinese martial arts. Until then, I have this thread.

Let me go first:

Avoid the solid, strike the empty.

One hand lies, the other tells the truth (True/False-- use of deception).

My opponent may move, but I arrive before he does.

My own:

In the circle, punch becomes a grab, a grab becomes a twist, and a twist blossoms into a throw... (fragment of a poem)

mickey
04-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Okay guys,

The silence is a bit much.

Here is one that can apply universally:

Hit 'im in the liver; it's not like he needs it.

another:

Break his nose; it'll improve his look.

and another:

Chew off his ear; he'll learn to use the other.

and still another:

Give 'im two black eyes, so he can blame it on his glasses.

mickey

Da_Moose
04-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Are you seeking Kuen kuit?

Are you wanting us to ponder and reflect on the posted statements?

Some help to us regarding your goals and desires here would be helpful.

Steve

canglong
04-07-2004, 08:13 PM
heard these Mickey?

saam dim yat sin dihng yuhn sahn

or

ngh douh luhk muhn fa kihn kwan

mickey
04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Greetings,

Da_moose: I was hoping that people would share some of the fighting theories that they may have come across.

canglong: Weren't these theories posted in a Kungfu Magazine article on wing chun?

Here is one of my own:

Er Chiao E,
E Chiao Er.

mickey

Shaolinlueb
04-08-2004, 07:11 AM
how about

long fist > * :o ;) :p

canglong
04-08-2004, 08:43 PM
mickey,
The seeds of Shaolin have been planted in fertile soils both near and far.

"One of the earliest hou kuet, or oral idioms, in the Hung Fa Yi lineage dates back to the origins of the art in the Shaolin Temple. The two phrases above express the key insight that lead to the paradigm shift that gave birth to Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun.
Saam Dim Yat Sin (Three points one line) express the importance of the center of gravity in relation to heavan, man, and earth. This awareness incorporates both the vertical and horizontal components of Hung Fa Yi and can extend to both internal and external training. Externally, it expresses proper alignment of body structure for striking. Internally, it expresses proper alignment of body structure for energy cultivation. In these two understandings ( the trilogyof heavan man and earth, together with an awareness of body structure) is expressed in the unity of both the vertical and horizontal planes...

canglong
04-09-2004, 10:17 PM
..."Ng Dou Luk Mun is the five ways and six gates. The five ways refers to the five line concept, an awareness of horizontal structure. The six gates is the Hung Fa Yi six gate concept. Together, Saam Dim Yat Sin and Ng Dou Luk Mun express the foundation that led to the realization of the Hung Fa Yi Formula. The Wing Chun Formula expresses the fundamental components of the human body to be mapped in time, space and energy.
The scientific information embodied in the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Formula has been maintained intact for more than three centuries. The information is based on physics and physiology that provide a foundation grounded in reality(time, space and energy).
The Wing Chun Formula scientifically expresses the dimensions of time, space and energy through the employment of the practitioner's own body parts as precision measurement devices. Properly used, these same body parts demonstrate all of the concepts, principles, tactics and strategies of Hung Fa Yi science. The formula is composed of six key components, each having its own function while simultatiously being related to the others. These components are (1) the centerline, (2) the two-line defense (3) the three reference points, (5) the five-line concept (6) the six gates and (5) the five elemental battle arrays for facing and pursuit. Numerically sequenced as 1,2,3,5,6 and 5. One (1) provides the core, (2) identifies range, (3) identifies height and five (5) identifies width. Together these four components establish the fifth component called six (6) gates. These six zones constitute a three-dimensional plane that defines maximum efficiency for human anatomical combat formation. The first five components allow Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun practitioners to establish their identity. The sixth component, five (5) elemental battle arrays, gives practitioners the understanding of tactics and strategies for attack and defense. However, when any of these six components is out of position, there is a distortion in the time space continuum. To understand the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Formula, one must experience each of the components and the individual concepts.".....

Da_Moose
04-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Here's some for you Mickey,

"You don't move, I don't move. You move, I move first."
This is akin to one you posted earlier, 'My opponent may move, but I arrive before he does.' This is one of my recent favorites as it make sone ponder what kind of scenario that can happen in. For instance, in heaven (long distance) fighting, this can be interpreted as someone simply intercepting an attack. Let's say that someone throws a rear hand cross at your face, but you better undertand the space in question and pop them in the nose first with a jab. He moved first, bit got hit first. Is it because your faster, not necessarily. You just have better undertsanding of the time/space at that moment. This particular one can also be applied to all other ranges of combat.

Regarding heaven fighting:
"As you opponent travels to you, prepare to recieve him."
In a heaven fighting scenario, we must understand that due to the distance between the opponents, it takes time to reach each other. it is therefore a tactical mistake to attack someone from a long range. It gives them time to react to your attack and easily counter. If someone attacks you long, say with a jab, they are taking time to traverse the space to reach you. As they are wasting time, you can use it to set up your home for their 'reception', intercepting them at the legs or hips with a transverse sidekick, maintaining the heaven range. Thsi makes you seem faster, but in actuality, you just know your time and space better then they do.

Steve

mickey
04-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Da_Moose and canglong,

It is very interesting to to see references to time and space. I came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that real high level fighting may have involved some intuitive understanding of higher dimensions and quantum physics. your submissions seem to take it in that direction.

Thank you for sharing

mickey

canglong
04-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Mickey,
Looking forward to seeing more theories until then moving along with the present discussion....
Centerline (Core)
The Centerline and its corrsponding number one (1) in the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Formula, represents the core of the body and extends outwardsf from the center of the body to inifinity. Moving outward on the centerline, we become aware of time and space. The elements 2,3 and 5 are contingent on the centerline, which is element one (1) and vertically divides the body into two halves
Hung Fa Yi practitioners must not only have control of their centerline, but must also influence the centerline of their opponent. In a combat situation one's centerline must be maintained to keep one's balance. If one leans or moves off the center line in any direction, one creates a distortion in at least one of the three dimensional realities. Which ultimately affects the six gates. This distortion creates a domino effect that will allow an opponent to gain an advantage.

Any flaws in structure or distortion to our six gate posture provide an opening to attack so first we must understand and reckognize what makes the structure strong against an attack as well as while attacking and then understand and reckognize what and which distortion provides the opportunity for attacking an opponent.

mickey
04-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Greetings canglong,

I thought that this thread had died already. I will explain my line to you.

"Er Chiao e, E chiao er" is about fighting and kung.
Two legs one, one leg two.

The first part, "Er chiao e," refers to the coordinated use of the legs in fighting: not simply kicking; but, in stepping, body positioning, dodging, advancing.

The second part, "E chiao er," refers to kung. The legs must be very strong: to the point that each leg has the strength of two legs. Also factored into this is endurance.

This couplet is subject to evolution.

mickey

PaulH
04-28-2004, 12:43 PM
It takes two to tangle. =)

Phenix
04-29-2004, 06:35 PM
here are some:

using the silence to subdue the action.

Dont against the rushing horse momentum, lock the wild bull's leg.

Opening big to welcome the enermy, that way I am in the control position

Ten fast punches is not as good as move one finger join distance away.

even if you are as strong physically as Varja warrior , Solid and hollow are lively.

Shrink, release, vibrate, and swing back. (WCK's fajing theory)

Broken arrow structure habit, even Daoist sages cannot save you.

canglong
04-29-2004, 10:09 PM
PaulH,
It may take 2 to Tango but one will lead and one will follow.

PaulH
04-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Hendrik,

When you have time, I love to hear you talking more about the purpose of shrink, release, vibrate and swing in what seems to me a concentrated coordination of mind and body into a specific point.

Thanks,
PH

Phenix
04-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
Hendrik,

When you have time, I love to hear you talking more about the purpose of shrink, release, vibrate and swing in what seems to me a concentrated coordination of mind and body into a specific point.

Thanks,
PH

Hi Pual,

Long story

According to the Yik Kam line of WCK.

we need to first look at the system centering handling.

and that Four letter Kuit comes after the attainment of the centering.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There are two major component for the "centering" before one can issue power.

Structure: breathing/physical body centering

A, static structure define good structure with rooting.

B, Dynamic structure has two core components. it is like the abstract algebra. the two components are very flexflow type of stuffs. That is the 1, resultant structure and 2 resultant force, at every instant. this is a 2nd level attainment. it deal with momentum. here every details of force or structure components are identified clearly.

Alertness: Breathing/consciousness centering

A, static relaxation such as in meditation

B, dynamic flex flow alertness

The dynamic flex flow alertness where it flows with the condition or situation without getting stuck but always alert. this is the one which link to Chan directly. As we heard in the Book Unfletter mind ... the L J's kuen kuit, or the Mas Oyama's article. --- the key engine for the 3rd level. it deal with energy. Here, those term like Nim, Yee, Shen, .... are identified clearly.

PaulH
04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Hendrik. I take it the "centering" makes possible for the converging forces of mind, body, and spirit to act in unison in both dynamic and static situations.

Regards,
PH

Phenix
05-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
Thanks, Hendrik. I take it the "centering" makes possible for the converging forces of mind, body, and spirit to act in unison in both dynamic and static situations.

Regards,
PH

Centering is balance. That is Jung. it is a very advance realization/ attainment.
When mind/body/breathing attain center both in static and dynamic, wonderfull things will appreal.

True emptiness and wonferfull existance has to comes from balance platfrom.

That is beyond time, space, you, or me.. and subjective experience, but enter into the realm of As it is.

Fighting theory is great. however, the fighting theory will be applied very differently due to the different state of one's centering attainment.