PDA

View Full Version : Attention CLFNOLE & FU POW

Eddie
04-08-2004, 04:27 AM
I bought some VCD’s from China as part of some stock for another business of mine (we have a online martial arts shop) which I have been selling to our local martial arts community. I have no interest really in watching or learning forms from videos so I have never bother watching the forms on the vcd’s. People often come and ask us what the vds’ are all about, so the other day I decided to start playing them in our shop to see if this might draw some attention, which worked well.

I was really surprised to see that one of the vcd’s contained our LKH CLF sword form which I know as Fu Mei Darn Do. The form was almost identical, with a few differences in some of the way they execute the techniques. Also, the beginning is different. Our CLF form starts with the ‘ snake crawling, mouse running ‘ opening, but this form starts with a different opening. From there on its basically the same form, but as I say, with a more ‘ Northern Shaolin’ flair.

I was just interested if you know more about our CLF form, and if you have an idea were this form comes from. I e-mailed this to Master Li and Joe, but haven’t yet received any reply.

Just curious to know if you have info on this. Personally, I prefer our version, as I am more familiar with this one, but this version on the vcd is also pretty nice. BTW the vcd is simply called “Broadsword king”. Will scan the cover soon and let you know.

Happy holidays.

Regards
Ed

Fu-Pow
04-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi Eddie-

I'm curious to see who is performing the form. That might answer some questions right there.

Other than that I can tell you that a lot of broadsword forms look very similar. There are some moves with the broadsword that are used in almost every style.

I realized this when my Taiji teacher started showing us the Chen Taiji broadsword form. I was like "Oh my gawd!! That looks almost the same as my CLF broadsword form!!!"

As for the origins of our form I'm not sure. It comes from LKH but where he learned it is anyone's guess because he learned from so many different people.

CLFNole
04-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Eddie:

This set was also referred to as Fook Fu Dan Do. Jow Ga has this set within their system, which could explain the northern shaolin flare.

Many weapon sets were shared and incorporated within the various southern systems (CLF, hung gar, hung fu, jow gar, etc...) What sets each apart is how the forms are performed. Weapons are extensions of oneself so the CLF version should have explosive "loose" power similar to a hand set.

Peace.

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-09-2004, 07:33 PM
eddie :

when i'd see for first time the choy lay fut fu mei darn do form in one of tat mau wong videotapes , i 'd was surprised because one of the first kung fu forms i'd learn at my 16 ( i got 29 now ) was this same form . but a different version from a taiwanese line of northern shaolin . even was called tiger tail broadsword too .
the form also have a different starting from choy lay version , but have the same patron and similar techniques .
so , i think is not a choy lay fut exclusive form .

question : there is another broadsword forms in lkh choy lay fut line ?

Eddie
04-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,
I also study northern Shaolin, and I have learned a few different broadsword forms over a period of time, so I do understand that most of them are similar, but this form is exactly the same, cept for the opening section. But it is really nice to see the form from a slight different angle, and it also gives me a new perspective on the use of certain moves which fits in with the Northern Shaolin Warrior sword which I am currently trying to perfect.

PM me your addresses, and I will try make you each a copy to see for your self.

Thanks again for the response
Ed

Eddie
04-12-2004, 06:13 AM
here is a pic of the vcd cover. I found it on another website

http://www.web-art.be/dave/images/VCDS/VCW01.jpg