PDA

View Full Version : On the ‘shaolin’ kung fu in the ‘kung fu’ series temple

oasis
04-09-2004, 01:53 AM
So watching the dvds (w/ Carradine), I was wondering…
You know the flashbacks to the temple when they show the “five animals,’ ie the white crane, praying mantis, tiger, dragon, and snake? (in this case)

I know carradine studied styles such as mei hua mantis and taiji, but the making of the movie didn’t really talk about the martial abilities of the other actors who played the monks. So my question is, what do people think of those animals depicted? I’m not sure about the white crane, and some of the hand techniques for the last 3 animals seemed familiar. The praying mantis didn’t look like traditional 7 star mantis or the modern shaolin mantis that was brought into the temple around the 80’s (and the series was made in the 70s). were the techniques based on another system of mantis (like mei hua)? and what about the other animals? Did they seem authentic?
Does anyone know who these guys were?

And to keep this thread on topic, it’s not about the general kung fu depicted in the fight scenes. :p I’m specifically asking about the monks representing each of those five animals

MasterKiller
04-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Personally, I think your money would have been better spent on the H.R. Puff n' Stuff collection.

oasis
04-09-2004, 10:59 AM
i didnt say i bought them. maybe i rented them or received them as a gift ;)

interesting to see after all these years nonetheless...

Dim Wit Mak
04-10-2004, 02:15 PM
oasis: Purchase Carrodine's book "Spirit of Shaolin, a Kung Fu Philosophy". Carradine admits he was a dancer when he started, but studied different styles of kung fu in ernest over the years. He also admits he has been pretty much a "jerk" over the years (my paraphrase) but has strived hard to achieve self improvement. How much success he has had remains open to debate. He talks quite a bit about the TV show in the book.

Xiao Tang Lang
04-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Oasis:
If I remember correctly one of the older monks performing some of the animal styles was Ark Wong who was known for the five animal and the the five family styles of Kung fu. I believe the monk performing Mantis was Kam Yuen who was at one time David Carradine's teacher. Kam Yuen is best known for the Tai Mantis style. I hope this helps some.

mickey
04-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Greetings,

I enjoyed that seen more than the rest if the entire movie. I wished that they had shown more instead of snippets. I prefer that scene to the group monk training scene in Jet Li's Shaolin Temple.

mickey

oasis
04-10-2004, 05:29 PM
DWM, already read the book a while back. as i recall, he didn't discuss the specific monks demonstrating in the animals.

small praying mantis ;) , thanks for the info. i knew kam yuen taught carradine taiji mantis but i didn't know it was him in that scene.

i'd have to recheck the show to see if it looks like him, but i found these two links about art wong:
http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/halloffame/html/130.html

http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/halloffame/html/18.html

the first link actually states that carradine was also one of his students.

mickey, interesting comment. i enjoyed both scenes :)

mickey
04-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi oasis,

Kam Yuen is one of the monks demonstrating. I think he is the only one with the pseudo mustache. He has a very nice flow-- don't mistake that for soft. I wish I could see more footage of him.

mickey