PDA

View Full Version : Dan Chi Sao

Duncan
10-31-2001, 01:08 PM
With a little luck I'll soon begin Dan Chi Sao training.

Most of the people posting here seem to have many years of training behind them - what advise can you give when training DCS?

Anyone willing to offer up some tips, valuable words of wisdom to help a beginner? :)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

jameswebsteruk
10-31-2001, 02:02 PM
Listen to what your instructor says. I bet they are as many ways of doing Dan Chi here as there are ways of doing bong sao ;)

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Duncan
10-31-2001, 02:12 PM
Yep. I study under two instructors and both are very much in the know. But you know how it is... food for thought, the more the merrier.

Any variations would be a welcome read. The greater the number of ways of implementing, the greater the understanding.

Did anyone have problem areas or find methods of improving technique (besides constant practise ;))? Any drills within the drill people can recommend?

This post might not get a large response as I've not slated any particular instructor from any given branch of WC (just kidding)

Cheers!
:) :p :) :p :D

*Fook the lot of 'em*

edward
10-31-2001, 02:41 PM
remember all motions are elbow lead..... that's huge...

also, when you learn to palm..all to often people end up palm downward instead of the chest, this does you no good, as well as your partner...

jut sau of the palm.... allot of people do this wrong and end up doing this downward....

finally dan chi sao is waste of time, unless you understand how to equalize and neutralize the force...

S.Teebas
10-31-2001, 03:05 PM
Chi Sau is NOT a fight it is an exercise. I have seen people who have practiced for years who cant get beyond this point. If you dont get beyond this, you will never gain any of the benifits chi-sau has to offer.

Invest in loss...and experiement.

S.Teebas

Duncan
10-31-2001, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the help Ed.

Checked your profile - liked the new mpegs on the Windy site. Looks like a great seminar. Have a question...

Was watching an Augustine Fong video and noticed he keeps his man sao and wu sao really low. Doesn't this leave the chest and head open to attack?

We practise with a wu sao at chest height and the man sao follows in relation to this to allow the triangulation to protect.

It was the video detailing the third form. Very cool, with some great footage of chi sao drills.

At the moment I can but dream of chi sao :)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

Duncan
10-31-2001, 03:23 PM
"Invest in loss" - S.Teebas

I once saw some Ninjutsu demonstrated and the instructor said: "The only way to really understand a technique is to experience it from the losing side. You have to give in to the fear of taking a knock and the fear of being seen taking a hit (in training), and give yourself to the technique. Without this you cannot fully appreciate its practicality - its beauty."

I guess this is what chi sao is all about. Eating humble pie and learning from errors :D

*Fook the lot of 'em*

S.Teebas
10-31-2001, 03:35 PM
:) I dont know much about ninjas, but i think you get the idea.

whippinghand
10-31-2001, 07:58 PM
Very crucial point to learning, STeebas... Good one.

The more you get hit, the faster you learn.