PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

Viper555
04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Does that look like a pretty good program to pack on muscle? I had made another one on my own that was similar except I focused more on the isolation exercises as opposed to compound movements(although I do have some)and my reps and sets were different.

Viper555
04-11-2004, 05:28 PM
As opposed to this:

Monday-Chest & Arms

Incline Flys 4x8-12 3-1-2(tempo)
Decline Flys 4x8-12 3-1-2
Dumbell Curls 4x8-12 3-0-1
Reverse Curls(curl bar) 4x8-12 3-1-1
Tricep Pushdowns 4x8-12 3-1-2
French Curl 4x8-12 3-1-2

Wednesday-Shoulders & Back

Shrugs 4x8-10 3-1-1
Dumbell Sideraises 4x8-12 3-1-2
Rows 4x8-12 3-1-0
Lat Pulldowns 3x12 3-1-1
Military Press(dumbells) 4x8-12 3-1-1
Stiff Leg Deadlift (Not sure what to do on these;any advice appreciated)

Friday-Legs & Abs

Weighted Ab Crunch 3x10-15 3-1-3
Squats 4x8-12 3-0-1
Calf Raises 4x10 4-2-1
Leg Extensions 4x8-12 3-1-3
Leg Curls 4x8-12 3-1-3

abobo
04-11-2004, 08:26 PM
What are your goals? What else does your week include in terms of training?

Viper555
04-12-2004, 06:17 AM
To pack on muscle mass as quickly as possible. That's pretty much all my training for a week.

Viper555
04-13-2004, 07:27 AM
So I'm guessing that not one person on this whole entire board knows which one of those is the better hypertrophic workout? Man if nobody knows then I should publish it in a book and make some money off of it.

Ford Prefect
04-13-2004, 08:12 AM
I think it's just that most of us have seen these threads 1,000 times. There's plenty of ways to gain muscle mass. What is best usually depends on you and diet is the largest factor of all. Not only that but without tempo and rest periods it's impossible to really say as well...

Viper555
04-13-2004, 11:28 AM
tempo is already posed above. Rest interval is 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Diet:

Calories: 2,395
Carbs: 200-250
Protein: 275
Fat: 55

Separated into 5 meals a day with low glycemic carbs until the workout in which I take in high glycemic carbs and electrolytes.
Supplements are swole v2, whey protein, glutamine, and cla.

Height: 6ft
Weight: 145
BF%: 7-8%

Need any more info?(not being a smart ass there BTW)

Ford Prefect
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Honestly, I'd bump up the calorie intake at least another 300 calories and add more fat. I was about the same exact measurements as you 5 years ago. (6' 142 lbs) It seems like you are a hard-gainer material, so I'd cut out all supplemental cardio (anything not athletics or MA) You'll also have to cut out the cla. It could interfere with your bulking.

Expect to gain some fat while bulking. It's almost impossible to gain a good deal of muscle mass without it. I'd seperate my cycles like 8 weeks of bulking (diet and weight training) followed by 4 weeks of cutting (diet and maximal weight work). Take week 13 off completely. This will get you 4 good cycles every year.

As for the routine, the most important thing about gaining mass is tiring your muscles out. Gaining mass (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) is just an adaption your muscles undergoe to meet increasing energy demands on them. Failure and pump are your friends. Strip sets are too. Short rest periods, long eccentric portions of the lifts (ie for bench, lower it in 5 seconds, pause, then push it up quickly, repeat) are also big helpers to achieve "pump". While you don't need it to gain mass, you do need it to gain mass optimally. Sets and reps are meaningless. It's imposing the right demands on your muscles that mean something.

SAID: Specific Adaption for Imposed Demands....

While cutting, you don't want to go to failure or even get a pump. Now is the time to let your muscles rest and not kill them. Since you'll be consuming less calories, you don't want to hit them as hard because they won't have the ability to recover. Do maximal work. 5 reps is your max during this time. Not only will this help you feel bettter during the cutting, but it'll give you muscle density as well.

Don't do any prohormones. You're still young. You should have plenty of hormones as is...

Viper555
04-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Too bad i'm not a hard gainer when it comes to fat. That's why I was going to keep it a little low, I get fat quick. You think that ill have enough protein and carbs to bulk up? Hows my program look?

Ford Prefect
04-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Fat doesn't really make you fat. It's usually carbs that are the culprit. Fat is stored glycogen. Glycogen is used by muscles for energy. In a sense, fat is stored energy.

Glycogen comes from glucose. Glucose comes is what carbs are broken down inside your digestive system. How the process works is that you eat an influx of carbs. Carbs are easy to break down, so you system is quickly flooded with glucose. Your pancreas then pumps out insulin to take this glucose to your liver where it is turned and even stored as glycogen. The excess glycogen is brought to your muscles for energy or stored for later use as fat.

Simply avoiding eating carbs alone or high-carb meals will signifficantly reduce the likelyhood of fat storage. Most people will combine any meal that has a moderate-high amount of carbs with a moderate-high amount of protein. Protein breaks down much more slowly, so it will help keep your system busy and reduce the amount of glucose going into your blood stream at any one time. Also avoid eating fats and carbs as this increases the likely hood of fat storage. Fats alone are fine since they take a long time to break down though.

Good meal combo's:
-Protein
-Protein + Carbs
-Protein + Fat
-Small-moderate Fat

Bad meal combo's:
-Carbs
-Carbs + Fat

The program looks fine, but like I said sets/reps are meaningless. It's what you are doing to your muscles that's important. You need to shock and tire muscles. Don't strictly adhere to program like gospel.

IronFist
04-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Everyone is different. You can't really apply cookie-cutter programs to everyone. Look at the routine and look at your past experience. You may realize that some of it won't work for you and need to make appropriate changes. That's what I always do. Or, I'll take parts of a routine and make my own. This is why it's important to keep logs. You can see what worked when you made progress.

I didn't even see a routine posted on that page you linked to, but I just skimmed it.

But look at your past routines. Are you doing a set of 10? Why 10? Why not 9? Why not 11? How much rest are you getting between sets? Are you timing it exactly? Are you recording it? Have you been making gains on this program? Why? Could you increase the gains by changine a factor (reps, weight, time, tempo?) Are you recovering enough between workouts? What would happen if you increased recovery time? What if you decreased it? Are you cycling your weights? What kind of cycle are you using? Are your gains slowing?
etc.