PDA

View Full Version : sparring clip

Merryprankster
04-13-2004, 05:35 AM
i'm the guy giving the penalty nut shot.

http://webpages.charter.net/wretched/fightclub.wmv

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 05:49 AM
And my boys'll never forgive you for that.

Royal Dragon
04-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Most of that was pretty sloppy. Is this a study group, and footage of the younger students? Or is it just an untrained backyard brawl type of thing?

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:06 AM
lol

that is undoubtedly some of the best flailing about and clearly untrained scrapping i have seen yet!

thanks for that tom foolery merry!

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Most of that was pretty sloppy. Is this a study group, and footage of the younger students? Or is it just an untrained backyard brawl type of thing?

It's a development meeting for the Fox network.

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:22 AM
I was pretty certain that this was the focus group for the installation of boxing into the special olympics.

am i wrong?

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Consistently. :)

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:33 AM
well, i wouldn't say you're any sort of braniac either, although that was a witty retort where a retort was uncalled for. :D

having said that, I am offended by your body odor and you are overweight. so there!:p

toodles!

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Man, it would have been a crime not to have taken that shot.

Sometimes you're the mole. Sometimes you're the whacka.

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I think we all know that xebs is the "whacka" in this forum. :p

but let's talk crime for a second.

Is taping that stuff opening those yocals to charges?

And what do people think of kids who videotape their crimes? Are they stupid or what?

I vote yes. Over to you Geraldo.

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Is there a crime here?

Or does the use of boxing gloves put it squarely in the "horseplay" camp?

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:43 AM
well, it was a curious mix of minors and adults, which is a bit weird and ghetto to begin with.

secondly, what the heck were those chicks doing? Were they trying to take it to the ground? and if so, why wasn't there more of that!? Why??!

For that fact alone, I declare this a waste of tape! People just don't see their openings I guess.

Did anyone else notice that most of the fighters were in "fraidy pants" mode?

Only fatty had the "blocking is useless" attitude. To bad he didn't have skills to match, he looked ready to eat that guy...literally, i mean served up with potatoes and corn!

go fatty!

MasterKiller
04-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Is that video the MMA equivalent of "going 100%"?

David Jamieson
04-13-2004, 06:56 AM
I think it's actually a wal mart advertisment for the new everhide TM boxing gloves they sell.

much cheaper than the real leather gloves by 2/3's the cost and will only last 1/4 as long!

get em while they're hot!

Midnight
04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Kung Lek, man, you make me laugh. :)

Merryprankster
04-13-2004, 08:12 AM
nope, mk,

it's the mma equivalent of boztepe vs. cheung or ng vs. chan

except these guys aren't claiming "mastery."

:D

Ford Prefect
04-13-2004, 08:22 AM
oh ****! lol @ Merry! Funny thing is that these guys look the exact same as those "masters". :rolleyes:

norther practitioner
04-13-2004, 08:23 AM
AP has taken the funnny..

oh hel|

Yo, ap, that was funny...

Merry, thanks for this gem of a clip.

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
AP has taken the funnny..

oh hel|

Yo, ap, that was funny...

Danke. :)

Shadowboxer
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
You left us wide open for that one!

:D

red5angel
04-13-2004, 10:38 AM
LOL@ MK!

sadly that's more fighting then I've seen in most TMA schools ;)

Some of those guys had some pretty good timing, if they took some training they might become dangerous. Atleast they were taking shots and not "pounding the pole" in silk pajamas or something.

DragonzRage
04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Haha, are the White Crane and Tai Chi schools feuding again?? j/k

Back when I was in high school I was involved in a similar fight club. We started out with just martial artists. We had a few Kenpo/karate guys, a TKD guy who wanted to go to the olympics, a kid who had some boxing experience, and I myself was studying Kung fu at the time. Then we expanded to include a few football players, gym rats and nobodies. This video brings back fond memories for me.

red5angel
04-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Am I the only one who finds it slightly ironic that a bunch of so called martial artists/sports fighters/reality combatants, are making fun of some guys who are fighting?

maybe it's just me.

Merryprankster
04-13-2004, 01:33 PM
i don't actually fight.

i learned everything i know through playing tekken and some gracie dvd's.

my name is josh, but you can call me Ralek

red5angel
04-13-2004, 01:41 PM
someone's a bitter and angry person.

you need a hug.

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
Am I the only one who finds it slightly ironic that a bunch of so called martial artists/sports fighters/reality combatants, are making fun of some guys who are fighting?

maybe it's just me.

So do you find this sort of fight club admirable?

That's not a loaded question. I'm curious.

red5angel
04-13-2004, 02:54 PM
admirable? I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to use that word, but what, fundamentally is the difference between what we train and what they are doing?

On the exterior it might seem that maybe we could take the moral high road, cause we are "seriously" training, or studying a laid down set of fighting pricniples, while these guys are just taking swings at each other.

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 03:07 PM
On the exterior it might seem that maybe we could take the moral high road, cause we are "seriously" training, or studying a laid down set of fighting pricniples, while these guys are just taking swings at each other.

I guess I'm not really convinced that is the exterior. I'm not sure that isn't the heart of the matter.

what, fundamentally is the difference between what we train and what they are doing?

When we spar, we're doing so as a part of research and development. We test, we improve, and we take some vested interest in the other guy doing likewise. It matters that the other guy is well trained. It only proves something if the match is a good one.

I kinda feel like what we're seeing here isn't part of any development process. It's more like a cementing of the social order.

Thoughts?

red5angel
04-13-2004, 03:25 PM
It's more like a cementing of the social order

could be. I oculd be naive as well by saying that I believe that maybe some of those individuals really are taking a vested interest in improving and doing the research and development. I'd like to imagine that maybe these guys do this regularly, or maybe there are a core of guys doing it, and some come and go. And maybe they're leanring something from it, getting tougher, learning the timing, the power development and all that. Granted it's not the most effiecient way but just maybe.

I remember back when I was in high school. My karate school broke up and for about a year I just sort of hung out. Then one day I was talking to a freind and we sort of started a fight club of our own, that probably looked a lot like that video to be honest. I tried to show them some of the stuff I had learned, and at times we would break to try different techniques we thought might work, or we might just go all out until someone cried uncle. I personally never felt like it was just establishing a pecking order, and I never got that vibe from anyone else.

apoweyn
04-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, you might be right. But I think there is a difference between what we (boxers, wrestlers, martial artists, etc.) do and just pulling on gloves and going at it.

It's a little something I like to call Colin. (But most everyone else calls context.)

red5angel
04-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Ap, I probably agree with you for the most part. I guess I just feel that maybe the same intent might be there if not the structure.

norther practitioner
04-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

Danke. :)

bitte

Hey, kudos for them mixing it up, but I just think it is a shame that there isn't some guy there, who knows his stuff being objective, and teaching a little, as opposed to the roar of OHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh from the group when you get caught with a decent punch, or the fact they aren't prob. really being true to themselves about figuring out what they are weak/strong with and working with it/around it.... etc.

apoweyn
04-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
Ap, I probably agree with you for the most part. I guess I just feel that maybe the same intent might be there if not the structure.

And maybe you're right mate. I don't know. But to my mind, the training, the escalating skill levels, etc. are what put the physical beatdown into context. Without that, I tend to think of it as either a genuine fight (which happens) or posturing. Albeit genuinely ballsy posturing.

Stuart B.