PDA

View Full Version : Completing/Finishing the system

dzu
10-25-2001, 01:36 AM
Emptycup mentions that he has finished or completed the system under his current sifu.

To emptycup and others:

What is your definition of completing or finishing the system?

What criteria are you basing your definition off of?

Dzu

whippinghand
10-25-2001, 01:51 AM
I finish the system when I die.

dlew308
10-25-2001, 01:55 AM
You carrying what system you train under to your grave? :P

whippinghand
10-25-2001, 02:00 AM
my system

dlew308
10-25-2001, 03:30 AM
WhippingHandKuen?
no punching, just pimpslapping
;)

Martial Joe
10-25-2001, 04:23 AM
He tends to whip people with his hands in his style...

That wasnt funny...sorry...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

whippinghand
10-25-2001, 04:31 AM
You're funny.

EmptyCup
10-25-2001, 05:11 AM
When I said I'd completed the system under my current sifu, I meant that I'd learned all that he could teach me. I'd learned everything he was taught by Yip Man and everything he came up with on his own to improve his Wing Chun. I have learned everything by HIS definition.

Obviously I do not think that I've learned all that can be learned in Wing Chun but that I've learned all that can be learned under that one sifu. I'll stop here, just before I launch into a very philosophical babble on how a system can never be learned fully because it is constantly evolving and such mumbo jumbo...

:D

chi-kwai
10-25-2001, 02:59 PM
For once, Whippy has made a concise statement that held water. The learning process should never end.

--
chi kwai

kj
10-25-2001, 03:11 PM
Another friend of mine went through Fun Hong's program, and I have at least some idea of how they sequence through it. I can appreciate EmptyCup's context, even though my own situation and perspective differs.

I cannot imagine ever being done with learning from my teacher, nor can I imagine the end of learning in this system in general. We must each walk the path for ourselves. Yet my teacher and I are on the same path; while he remains ahead of me on it, there will always be something for me to learn from him, and something for him to help me with. My teacher has been practicing Wing Chun for almost 38 years. It is exciting and encouraging to see that he too is still learning and growing. Ken often says that if Leung Sheung were still here, that he would still be correcting Ken. I have no doubt that Ken would be very happy and grateful for it too. It is beyond me to imagine a day when Ken would have nothing more of Wing Chun to share with me, or any of his students.

The actual process of learning resides within us. Ken often says that while he can show us the path, he cannot walk it for us. That we must do for ourselves. As he continues to walk his, I hope to continue as beneficiary. There is no limit of years. Others have put it well; I pray that my teacher is never done with me.

Some of my thoughts, FWIW.

Regards,
- kj

whippinghand
10-25-2001, 07:33 PM
Beutifully put, kj.

EmptyCup
10-26-2001, 02:39 AM
kj, your friend wouldn't happen to be a lawyer with his first initial being a "P" would it?!?!

If it is, **** I'm going over to NY to meet my idol... :D

kj
10-26-2001, 04:38 AM
Nope. Have a great visit nonetheless. :)
- kj

whippinghand
10-26-2001, 05:59 AM
Why are you going to New York, I'm here in Toronto....

EmptyCup
10-26-2001, 06:14 PM
:rolleyes:

"P" is a thousand times better than you. To even joke about that is a huge dishonour. There's no comparison...even if it was humility I was talking about and not skill. i wouldn't even travel down the stairs to see you :D