PDA

View Full Version : Technique Combinations

bungda07
04-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Been looking at combinations of techniques that work well with my body type, speed, and power. One of my favorite's is Au Lau Choi Tong Choi, then Siu Fan Che. Using crushing step with Siu Fan Che. As seen in the Hong Kong Bung Bo set. I'm going through my sets that have two, three or four continues techniques in them that fit my abilities the best. How do you break down your techniques/sets?

V/r

Steve M.

EarthDragon
04-13-2004, 12:58 PM
I break down my apps in different ways, but as for actual fighting situations I cannot stess enough, EFFECIENTCY anything that has to be rehersed or thought about will not work in a combat situation. If you use effecientcy in motion with simplistic defense and offense your success rate will increase. the less moves and more effecient you move the better fighter you will be.

bungda07
04-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Earthdragon, I agree with you on keeping it simple. Thats why I'm going through my sets. Also looking at 8 Hard Ways and where they appear throughout sets. Thanks for help.

V/r

Steve M.

EarthDragon
04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
how long have you been training?

steve7mantis
04-14-2004, 04:36 AM
i agree that any techniques thought out will not work in actual combat, therefore it is good to train one step sparring. this is as close as you could get to training mantis techniques without injuring your partner and without a real life threat, as it does not include the use of gloves or pads. i find this a great way of training techniques and seeing what links together well. if you train in this way, you should get to the stage where your opponent can attack you any way they like and you will just respond.....with what techniques you wont be sure until youve already done them. This is when you can really see what works best for you. The main idea behind this training is that your not thinking of what your going to a respond with, not thinking.."if he throws this punch i can do this and then try to set up a chin na technique and take him to the floor like this". This is wrong. It should be done naturally as you may find some techniques dont work as good for you as others do.

bungda07
04-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Reply:

Earthdragon: Ive been training Northern Praying Mantis-WHF Linage for 5 1/2 years.

Steve7mantis: We have all types of drills we use for responding to inner gate outer gate attacks, kicks ect. I agree, It's got to be reaction, not assuming if he throws this or that. I have lot's of ways of attacking, defending, and evading. I guess at this point in my training, with having 25 or more sets, I'm trying to take the best techniques "for me" and polish them more than others. Looking at my physical abilities and being realistic with what I can truely master. We can all work on techniques, but there is always ones we naturally flow right through. This is what you were saying in last line of post.

Thanks for your help.

V/r
STEVE M.

EarthDragon
04-14-2004, 07:51 AM
One day many years ago after my 5th year of training I asked my then sensei, how do you know when you are good.......................

he said when you move with instinct.

There is a great story in a book called autum lighting. It speaks about (mushin) the story is about a student and his samurai sensei.
Sensei would always strike him when he wasnt looking, sometimes even while sleeping. After years of this one day they while they were camping the student was kneeling over the fire cooking in a pan with his back to his teacher, when he teacher attacked him with his bokken, without looking up or moving any part of his body but his arm, the student lifted the pan blocked the strike then returned the pan to the fire without spilling the food..............
That is a level I think we all wish to attain

mantisben
04-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bungda07
Been looking at combinations of techniques that work well with my body type, speed, and power. One of my favorite's is Au Lau Choi Tong Choi, then Siu Fan Che. Using crushing step with Siu Fan Che. As seen in the Hong Kong Bung Bo set. I'm going through my sets that have two, three or four continues techniques in them that fit my abilities the best. How do you break down your techniques/sets?

V/r

Steve M.
A technique I like is Left Tung-Chui (Right Grab, Left cross), then Right Hammer-Fist. If you can grab your opponents left arm with your left arm before throwing the right hammer-fist at him, that is good. If you don't grab your opponents left hand with your left hand, that is still good, but the timing of the Left Cross, Right Hammer-Fist has to be kind of broken, or off-beat.

BeiTangLang
04-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Kind of a tough call. It has been a roll of the dice as to what technique I use & where I use it, due to ; how I feel at the time & if I really want to hurt the person or just a friendly spar.