PDA

View Full Version : Boxing question

Ghostface
04-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Is there any style in Shaolin that you could compare to American style boxing......using straight punches...hooks and jabs..etc?

MasterKiller
04-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Most Long-Fist styles are very similar to boxing technique. They work on the same principles.

GeneChing
04-14-2004, 10:23 AM
...the footwork is way different.

MasterKiller
04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
The footwork is different, but the power delivery is the same.

Shaolinlueb
04-14-2004, 11:46 AM
boxers are more quick on their feet and keep moving yes? than say shaolin people who are quick but dont keep in motion like boxers do always??? can someone correct me on that if im wrong?

MasterKiller
04-14-2004, 12:24 PM
I think that's what we mean by different footwork.

Shaolinlueb
04-14-2004, 07:36 PM
hmmm interesting :D

isnt blocking different too because the gloves involved? or all same with the hands?

blooming lotus
04-14-2004, 07:45 PM
that's what came to mind for me when reading the rest of the thread...

I'm no expert but shaolin blocking covers all levels where-as western boxing covers really only to mid body range.....

correct me if I'm wrong, but i think that's the major diff

ngokfei
04-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Southern Shaolin styles more closely resemble Western Boxing.
Especially in footwork.
The hand skills exist in most styles both northern and southern but the short linear and retracting strikes exist more in southern styles (especially short hand)

MasterKiller
04-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
boxers are more quick on their feet and keep moving yes? than say shaolin people who are quick but dont keep in motion like boxers do always??? can someone correct me on that if im wrong? Sure, it's different. I didn't say Long Fist was Western boxing. The hand strikes are similar.

The human body only moves in so many ways. It's ludicrous to think Kung Fu somehow manages to do everything completely different than other styles. Long Fist hand work is more complex, and more sophisticated in some regards, but it uses the same principles of power generation...driving off the back foot, tourqing the waist, etc...

GOLDEN ARMOR
04-15-2004, 03:37 PM
IMO some of Choy Lee Fut is very similar to boxing.

GeneChing
04-15-2004, 03:45 PM
It all comes down to the four basics - kick, punch, throw, lock. Boxing is only punching. So if you don't have to worry about being kicked, thrown or locked, it changes a lot.