PDA

View Full Version : just saw kill bill vol. 1

Watahhh
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
i've never been a big fan of over the top action movies, and this one takes the cake in that regard, even though the action sequences are not that impressive. one thing that did stand out was the yellow outfit, which seemed very familiar. took me a while to work out where i had seen it before, bruce lee, game of death.

backbreaker
04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
I just saw it yesterday too, and I thought it was pretty boring, a bunch of fake fighting and not much more.

neit
04-14-2004, 04:06 PM
i enjoyed it. but much less than most swordplay films.

dodger87
04-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah i saw it today, one thing that bothered me was that you see a shot of her on the plane with her sword next to her. Umm, since when do airport security allows you to bring samurai swords onto the plane?

Shaolinlueb
04-15-2004, 06:45 AM
its great for an american action film thats not staring jet li, jackie chan, or donnie yen.

dwid
04-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Umm, since when do airport security allows you to bring samurai swords onto the plane?

Umm, since when can any single person take on like a hundred trained warriors in unarmed combat.

It's a movie dude, suspension of disbelief and all that. It's part of the fictional reality of the film.

MasterKiller
04-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by dwid

Umm, since when can any single person take on like a hundred trained warriors in unarmed combat.

It's a movie dude, suspension of disbelief and all that. It's part of the fictional reality of the film. Sure, but it's the director's job to establish suspension of disbelief. If he allows something obvious to pull you out of the experience, he has failed. How many times have you been watching a movie and said, "How did that happen?" or "They couldn't have known that," etc... That's sloppy story-telling.

dwid
04-15-2004, 07:10 AM
My point is that this movie in particular establishes from the very beginning that it is not at all realistic. The characters are almost at the level of comic book heros and villains. It just seems silly to get caught on a little thing like the sword on the plane. The sword is part of the image being conveyed. It is the physical manifestation of her desire for vengeance. I guess the alternative would be to cut the scene entirely.

I'm sorry I picked on you in particular Dodger, as I'm just a little defensive about Kill Bill. It just seems the criticisms by martial artists of the movie are often silly to me. It's a fun movie. It has its faults, but all in all, I'd watch it over the vast majority of the movies it is paying homage to. The older I get, the more cheesy old kung fu movies are more entertaining in theory than they are when I actually sit down to watch them.

Ray Pina
04-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Bought the DVD the other day --- Kill Bill 1 + Resevour dogs for $20 at Best Buy.

After hearing him talk about it an dhow he wanted to express the good qaulities of old school Kung Fu movies (Shaw brother opening), samurai flicks (Mr. Chiba, ect), Yakuza films and "spagetti westerns" I think he achieved his aim. It's supposed to take place in movie land, I mean, 20 minutes of the film is a cartoon.

So, in that regard, it was OK. As far as martial arts, there has really only been one movie that I thought looked good, that was Borne Identity. For a bit over the top, Brotherhood of the Wolf.

As for KB, we've only seen half of the movie. I can't wait to see what he does with Bak Mei. I also liked the opening knife fight. Think that was the best Uma ever looked with the knife holster.

dwid
04-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Think that was the best Uma ever looked with the knife holster.

See, this is the kind of thing we should be talking about when we discuss killbill, how hopefully this movie will lead to more sexy women in leather wearing knife holsters.

:D

MasterKiller
04-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by dwid

See, this is the kind of thing we should be talking about when we discuss killbill, how hopefully this movie will lead to more sexy women in leather wearing knife holsters.

:D I'm more of a Vivica kinda guy. Who cares about two pasty blonde girls fighting in Part 2. :mad:

SanSoo Student
04-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Vivica A Fox is bootylicious. :D

shaolinboxer
04-15-2004, 07:42 AM
It's just one of those movie that you have to see 30 other movies to really understand.

looking_up
04-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Did y'all notice the butt lamp they used to highlight Vivica's booty? Look closely.

Mr Punch
04-15-2004, 08:14 AM
MK
Sure, but it's the director's job to establish suspension of disbelief. If he allows something obvious to pull you out of the experience, he has failed. How many times have you been watching a movie and said, "How did that happen?" or "They couldn't have known that," etc... That's sloppy story-telling.Agree.
dwid
My point is that this movie in particular establishes from the very beginning that it is not at all realistic. The characters are almost at the level of comic book heros and villains. It just seems silly to get caught on a little thing like the sword on the plane. The sword is part of the image being conveyed. It is the physical manifestation of her desire for vengeance. I guess the alternative would be to cut the scene entirely.
Disagree. Agreed that the point is to set it in movie world, so indeed why not cut the scene entirely? Having such an unrealistic bit of action in a real setting detracts from the suspension of disbelief, and it is not obvious enough to be a 'physical manifestation of her desire for vengeance' more than the brutally shoddily obvious way she actually states her desire for vengeance all through the **** movie.

Plus, as for the movie setting, YTF was all that gratuitous BS of the rape in the hospital necessary, enjoyable or 'homage to old skool kf movies'?
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
After hearing him talk about it an dhow he wanted to express the good qaulities of old school Kung Fu movies (Shaw brother opening), samurai flicks (Mr. Chiba, ect), Yakuza films and "spagetti westerns" I think he achieved his aim.Disagree. Bad excuse for not writing a decent script. Kung Pow, Kentucky Fried Movie and Wayne's World Two did a better job without the artwank. And the original spaghettis were pretty much tongue in cheek anyway, so sending them up is kind of meaningless.
As far as martial arts, there has really only been one movie that I thought looked good, that was Borne Identity.Pretty much agree.
As for KB, we've only seen half of the movie.Good. I'm walking out.
sb
It's just one of those movie that you have to see 30 other movies to really understand.Or just don't! It's one of those movies you have to see the ****-eating grin on QT's face (if you want to surgically remove it from his arse first) and the size of his bank account to understand.
l_u
Did y'all notice the butt lamp they used to highlight Vivica's booty? Look closely.No, but God **** you to Hell for getting me to watch it again.:mad: Congratulations on my first recorded awareness of existance of the expression "butt lamp" and its associations. [mental note]Must use more in conversation.[/mental note]:D

No_Know
04-23-2004, 09:54 AM
"Plus, as for the movie setting, YTF was all that gratuitous BS of the rape in the hospital necessary, enjoyable or 'homage to old skool kf movies'?"

Things in a situation can go well or not. Recently I realized that the most favorable outcome to further a story tends to happen.

She was shot in the head but not dead--coma. She wakes up hasn't moved for four years ans six months (the matrix show ust that not moving for years takes a great bit of effort-ish. How do the show get her revenging...not completely on her own. Will can be significant but opportunity might also be a factor in things happening~. Enter the concept, which nicely blends into the topic range theme that this world has perhaps sickeningly not nice things, that she was being rented out as a sound business venture during the coma by an arrogant weasel of an I'm-in-it-for-me person who would be think enough of him/herself to have a custoized truck that is hard to miss (to be found easily in parkinglots) Annnnnd have a keythingie to ID the truck which one might use if she were a top notch assassin to escape the hospital using will and rage and vengefilled desire.

dodger87
04-24-2004, 05:23 AM
dwid, the director should still take notice of small things like having a sword on a plane. what was the whole scene good for anyway?

David Jamieson
04-24-2004, 10:50 AM
saw it last night.

It was a gore fest if I've ever seen one. Sublimely ridiculous and outrageous in premise.

well done Q, well done!

I will be seeing part deux in the not too distant future and I'm sure if nothing else I will enjoy seeing David Carradine get killed. LOL.

rogue
04-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Just keep in mind that it's a fantasy, a movie, and like Kung Leks recent posts shouldn't be taken seriously or held to too much scrutiny. :D

MasterKiller
04-24-2004, 03:11 PM
After watching it again, I don't think that's her sword. I think the arm-rests on the plane are built to look like hilts. Notice in the foreground, as the camera zooms in, you see one until the camera gets too close, and then threre is one beside Uma as well.

Banjos_dad
04-24-2004, 03:15 PM
I saw it Tuesday, anticipating going to Kill Bill II & wanting to be caught up. I was unwilling to watch it until I found out David Carradine wasn't even in it...I stopped buying Inside Kung Fu when they gave him a monthly column.
It was okay and as others have suggested a step in the right direction for American action film, although they did rely heavily on overseas talent?
Who can deny how hot Uma was, is. All of them... Gogo was hot.
But the hospital scene was kind of a lot. The tarantino touch. I think his goal is to make us uncomfortable. Maybe he walked in on his parents scr*wing too many times or something & wants to spread it around.
Overall the whole thing was so totally over the top I liked it. Banjos Mom really liked it, a girl going around totally owning everyone.
Maybe we'll go see KB II in the theater.

mickey
04-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Greetngs,

What happened to the fight scene between Carradine and Michael Jai White(from Spawn)?

mickey

Mediocrity
04-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Did any of you happen to realize a few things?

1. This is a QUENTIN TARANTINO FILM. It's already gonna be screwed up to begin with. Its quirks from the normal linear timeline movies and unorthodox direction make it so. Some people love the quirky comicness.

2. EVERYBODY on the plane had a sword. If you'd take your eyes off Uma for a few seconds you would notice that. I think this is portrayed more as a joke than something that would actually happen. Maybe a sort of parody on how in martial arts films it seems like a lot of people carry around weapons for no reason.

3. The yellow suit was meant to be reminiscent of Bruce Lee's. That's why he picked it.

4. It's a movie.

diego
04-24-2004, 09:15 PM
haven't seen the movie yet but i think yall going off too much about a sword on a plane

so i was watching the hulk last night for the first time and when he shrinks down to bruce at the end after being a freaking giant....i thought

how the heck did his pants shrink and grow when he changed...i mean his shorts went from fit for a human to fitting for an elephant!!!?...ohya it's just a comic book:)

yall reminded me of thinking about hulks shorts talking about a sword and isht...