PDA

View Full Version : Merriam Webster on grappling.

Chang Style Novice
04-14-2004, 09:10 AM
only partial definitions provided to limit discussion to ma related uses ofthese verbs.

Grapple: (Grappling)

transitive senses
1 : to seize with or as if with a grapple
2 : to come to grips with : WRESTLE
3 : to bind closely

Wrest: (Wrestling)

1 : to pull, force, or move by violent wringing or twisting movements

And for the Qin Na (Seizing, Locking) guys

Seize:

3 a : to possess or take by force : CAPTURE b : to take prisoner : ARREST
4 a : to take hold of : CLUTCH b : to possess oneself of : GRASP c : to understand fully and distinctly : APPREHEND
5 a : to attack or overwhelm physically : AFFLICT <suddenly seized with an acute illness -- H. G. Armstrong> b : to possess (as one's mind) completely or overwhelmingly <seized the popular imagination -- Basil Davenport>

Lock:

3 a : to make fast, motionless, or inflexible especially by the interlacing or interlocking of parts <lock wheels> <lock a knee> b : to hold in a close embrace c : to grapple in combat; also : to bind closely <administration and students were locked in conflict>

Merryprankster
04-14-2004, 09:41 AM
everybody knows it ain't grappling if you aren't rolling around on the floor. what's wrong with you?!

Ralphie
04-14-2004, 10:42 AM
I wrassled with my conscience once. Then I became a Canadian, and it seems I am pure now through absolution by whiskey, and have decided I know everything.

SevenStar
04-14-2004, 10:45 AM
see, cma don't grapple, they seize!

Kelar
04-14-2004, 11:09 AM
roirepus si ustij uij nailizarb

Liokault
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Ralphie
I wrassled with my conscience once. Then I became a Canadian, and it seems I am pure now through absolution by whiskey, and have decided I know everything.

It could have been worse. You could have lost the wrassling against the whiskey and stayed American knowing nothing.