PDA

View Full Version : Rehab for a strained neck

FatherDog
04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
That was one can opener too many.

I'm icing it right now, and getting a cervical pillow for sleep. Anyone got any good rehab exercises and advice on when I should start them?

Ford Prefect
04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Ouch. I feel your pain. Neck cranks never bother me until an hour later. I'd use heat, isometric stretches, and anti-inflamatories (aleve being my fav). Definately take one before bed because it'll help prevent your neck from cramping up and getting worse while asleep.

Shaolinlueb
04-14-2004, 11:40 AM
rest, heat, massage. thats what I do.

MasterKiller
04-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm nursing one right now. I follow pretty much what Ford said. I also buy these chemical heat pads from Wal-Mart that stick to you, and wear them at work and while I sleep. They stay hot for up to 8 hours and work pretty well.

FooFighter
04-15-2004, 04:26 PM
FatherDog:

I would suggest that you rest it, ice it, and keep your head elevated in neutral while sleeping. I think you should also try a heating pad and do some light isometric stretches in between and most important use some drugs when possible to decrease the inflamation. Time will heal your pain, but I hope you will take better care of yourself in the future.

IronFist
04-15-2004, 09:38 PM
I didn't know a can opener was a neck crank until Ford mentioned it. Which neck crank is it?

Ford Prefect
04-16-2004, 07:13 AM
When you are in your opponents guard, grab behind his head with both hands, and pull his head towards you as hard as possible.

FatherDog
04-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
I didn't know a can opener was a neck crank until Ford mentioned it. Which neck crank is it?

http://sherdog.com/fightfinder/pictures/120.jpg

You don't usually get a tap with this, but it can be a good way of opening an opponent's closed guard. Be carefuly, though, because a good flexible guy can turn it into an armbar on you.

FatherDog
04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Injury update - Feeling much better - I can tilt my head all the way back and from side to side without significant pain. Tilting it forward too far still results in a sharp ache just above my shoulderblades.