PDA

View Full Version : Belt Testing, Need Advice!

BambooPrincess
04-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi!
I just recently tested for my next sash, and I have to write a paper on "How taste helps you learn kung fu" I am a little lost on how to get started. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated ;)
Thank you!

ZhouJiaQuan
04-15-2004, 12:16 PM
test....sash...writing...

im a bit lost too ;)

taste... as in mouth tounge food yummy?

BambooPrincess
04-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Yep, Taste...food...yummy!
Last sash I had to write a paper on eyes and kung fu that was easy. This on the other hand....

Ou Ji
04-15-2004, 12:29 PM
No offense but, Huh?????

I've seen people missing an arm learn kung fu. I doubt taste would have much to do with learning.

Troy Dunwood
04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
When you taste something, you should chew it carefully and slowly. When you sense the sourness, sweetness, bitterness then you know the flavor. When you know the flavor, you eat what taste good and rejects what taste bad.

Now, when you are introduced to kung fu(like tasting it for the first time) you should chew or try to understand the basics and principles slowly. At this stage yous hould begin to learn the key features of your style(sour, sweet, bitter, etc) , you should by now understand the true charcteristics of your system.

hope this will help or stir your mind!

Fen
04-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Tasteing Kung Fu
Eating bitter, Lets you taste sweet!
Being patient, helps you learn!
Learning it the hard way, Makes good Kung Fu!

~Jason

Yum Cha
04-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Perhaps by taste, your Sifu is refering to a sense of quality - as in being able to differentiate between lower and higher motivations, aspirations and inspirations?

Losttrak
04-15-2004, 05:34 PM
-Sometimes your taste must mature for you to appreciate what is being fed to you. (like sushi!)

-Sometimes tasting hurts like hell, but you keep coming back for more. (really spicy buffalo wings)

-There are some tastes (experiences or lessons) you have to spit out, others chew on, some swallow whole, others slowly digest. I read something similar about book appreciation, so this is quite plagiarized FYI.

Hungfutkune
04-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Maybe you can write about how you get your next Sash level you can celebrate by eating a BIG MAC at McDonalds!!

What style to you do, I know that in traditional Kung Fu we do not have a grading system or different sashes.

Sounds like your sifu your sifu is trying to get symbolic on you. This might be a way that he get you to relate to your kung fu. I really can't see any wrong answers in this question. But it is a pretty funny way of making you relate to your kung fu and making it your own.

"Do not look at the finger that points to the Moon, look at its path"

MAC
04-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Wow. Some really good answers in my view, as I might also have considered addressing in similar fashions or in respect to senses with awareness and understandings of senses and how that fits into the practice of your art BUT I'm wondering if you didn't just fail this part of your test -- or are cheating in some small way. After all, this is YOUR test and seeking someone else's answer does not address the question - at least the spirit of the question ..... or does it .... ? mmmmm, what was the true question being asked of (or about) grasshopper ?