PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC - San Shou!

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Washington DC has San Shou ! http://www.novamartialarts.com/index.htm

After years of working towards this goal, I’m very delighted to have met up with like-minded people who love all combat sports and want to compete in as many formats as possible. Team Lloyd Irvin!

I've never been surrounded by more knowledgeable and capable fighters in all formats. Striking, takedowns, standing clinch, throws, complete groundwork. - it's here.

I'm looking forward to competing in San Shou and MMA in 2005 and hope to represent the abilities of San Shou in mma competiton along with Team Lloyd Irvin

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 09:11 AM
shut up Ralek:rolleyes:

LOL and welcome to team lloyd irvin.

Jeff and Brett are dangerous dangerous people. enjoy!

Water Dragon
04-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Oh wow. what a suck ass

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Jeff scares me
The guy's bigger than me in every way (well maybe not EVERY way) and weighs like 165...
Plus, he's got skiowz.

Baltimore definitely needs to hook up with DC for some training...

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 10:01 AM
nah, jeffs about 180.

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 10:19 AM
That's a relief
when he said he was planning on fighting at 165, suntzu and i gave each other this look like "holy cr@p"
Still... even 180 seems a little low.
I remember him being even more buff than in those pix.

I think it would be awesome if we could have like a regular exchange thing going between Khun Kao's gym, DC, and baltimore.

MP- you gonna join in on any of the san shou hilarity?
Or just going to stay BJJ even after your shoulder's 100%?

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 10:36 AM
i have bjj goals. when i reach them i'll expand.

jeff just might fight at 165. who knows. hell, i've been to 174

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh wow. what a suck ass

¿Que?

Water Dragon
04-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00

¿Que?

era chiste, weh.

brothernumber9
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
technically this is MD san shou and not DC san shou right?

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 11:16 AM
northern virginia san shou - dc metro area.

Meat Shake
04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Someone should come fight with meat shake.

Stupid northerners.
:(

Water Dragon
04-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Someone should come fight with meat shake.

Stupid northerners.
:(

Oh I plan on it :D

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 11:34 AM
wait. isn't ms female?

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2004, 11:38 AM
since when is bjj and thai jj san shou? :rolleyes:

brothernumber9
04-16-2004, 11:39 AM
people from Maryland hate to be associated with Virginia, people from Virginia hate to be associated with Maryland. people from D.C. hate the fact that people from MD and VA tell everybody that they're from D.C. and no one from D.C. will ever admit if they're from Dupont circle. So there's the answer, have a san shou tournament in Dupont circle.

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 11:41 AM
those are the scheduled group classes. you want to be a fighter, you talk to jeff, make arrangements. or, you could just drink the haterade.

i understand your point, but a school is not just the sum of its group schedule.

Xebsball
04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
look him acting all like "i be a fighter, you dont be a fighter" and all that
id kick your ass if i wasnt having lots of diarreia (however you spell), breathing dificulties, fever and chronic burping (for real)

Water Dragon
04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
wait. isn't ms female?

Naw, we never said ms was a female.

We said ms was a lil byatch.

There's a slight difference.

Merryprankster
04-16-2004, 11:47 AM
either way, i'll play :D

Xebsball
04-16-2004, 11:52 AM
:mad: Yeah bet you think youre so tough so big so strong fighting a man with diarea yeah :mad:

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
since when is bjj and thai jj san shou?

This is a MMA school. San Shou = the core of standup MMA training. Jeff loves San shou! We will be training San shou & competing in San shou. I have been in (&out and back in again) Sanshou since 1996.

Not everyone in the club will be interested in san shou. But fortunately, the team is offering many options. san shou, muay thai, bjj, judo, sambo.. combat sports.

It's a team of guys that want to train in all ranges and styles of fighting. 2 guys and a referee. may the best man win.

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 11:55 AM
I still got Jeff's contact info (found it when I moved) so I'll try to be in touch. He's a lot less intimidating for me to talk to than trying to call up someone like Lloyd; coz i've trained with him before and he's not quite as big a name.
This could work out to be totally awesome or wicked sweet; heck, i'd even take a "kinda okay" right now.

btw- thought NoVA implied the DC metro area?
bro#9 pretty much hit it on the head with the description of the area.
BMore sanshou/ Owings Mills boxing is actually north baltimore, with some members trekking from Pennsylvania; but I'm all for coming under one banner as one big happy family.
I just draw the line at letting West Virginians in; i mean who really wants to have to say "no, chewing tobacco will not replace a good mouthguard" week in and week out?

Xebsball
04-16-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah "Booooo, look at me, i put a diarea suffering man on an armbar, im the master of jiutjisu"

lkfmdc
04-16-2004, 12:01 PM
more new san shou teams, mmmmmmmm..... fresh meat :p

MasterKiller
04-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00

This is a MMA school. San Shou = the core of standup MMA training. Jeff loves San shou! We will be training San shou & competing in San shou. I have been in (&out and back in again) Sanshou since 1996.

Not everyone in the club will be interested in san shou. But fortunately, the team is offering many options. san shou, muay thai, bjj, judo, sambo.. combat sports.

It's a team of guys that want to train in all ranges and styles of fighting. 2 guys and a referee. may the best man win.
What does San Shou offer a fighter that Thai Boxing doesn't? Is it the throwing that attracts people from other sports? Just interested in why they would migrate...

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller

What does San Shou offer a fighter that Thai Boxing doesn't? Is it the throwing that attracts people from other sports? Just interested in why they would migrate...

You shouldn't doubt the tempting allure of being able to shoot in and slam someone without having to worry about teeny tiny gloves and seemingly endless bouts of ground-based dry-humping. :p (just messin MP)

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 12:36 PM

I think it's 2 things..

1.) throws & kick catches are eye-opening and spectacular! **** DID YOU SEE THAT GUY FLY!!!

2.) Realism. adding the grappling aspect to striking brings in an entire new dimension in strategy, training and reality. Of course san shou/sanda is not MMA and as soon as someone is down the fight is stopped, and resumes standing, but as I mentioned before is certainly the best way to train the core of standup MMA that I can think of.

BTW: Muay Thai is very cool. I respect muay thai immensely. but for my goals, it is not the best format for my skillset.

MasterKiller
04-16-2004, 12:42 PM
What's the general consensus on San Shou in the Thai Boxing gyms? Are they pretty open to the format?

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 12:51 PM
I think most MT guys really like the san shou format, usually after they've seen it or expereinced it.

I'm sure that some may say that the grappling slows down the action or that since there is no groundwork, why bother to throw or shoot, but every combat sport has it's rules and limits.

as mentioned san shou will be just part of this school's area. most of the fighters interested in the san shou program will probably be competing (or just training) in other areas (mma, muay thai, judo etc.)

red5angel
04-16-2004, 01:21 PM
endless bouts of ground-based dry-humping. (just messin MP)

don't worry bmorebanga, I think MP is ok with the endless of amounts of ground humping or as they call it, dry humping. They also prefer to use "copious" instead of endless.

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 01:48 PM
he knows where I'm comin from
I don't mind watching good neiwaza
what does get kinda boring is ground n pound/lay n pray...
sanshou's appealing because of the reasons listed by ST00
it covers a decent amount of the mma stand up skillset, it's exciting, and fun
the only muay thai guys i've ever seen complain about it have been online hardliners, and their experience with it (and fighting in general) has been questionable.

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't mind watching good neiwaza

Sometimes even good newaza can be boring as hell.. ex. watch someone like Sperry who is so methodical compared to someone dynamic like Sudo.

Pork Chop
04-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Yah but Sperry versus whatsisname (the Russian dude, Zinoviev)in Extreme Fighting Challeng: Battlecade.... that match was a lot of grappling and it was still NUTZ!

I've only seen a few seconds of Yoshida's newaza and I think that would bore the crud out of me. When the gracies go against each other (like training clips) it's entertaining, but Royce spending an hour huggin on some dude (Shammy) for dear life in the early UFCs= not cool.

I guess I"m saying I like the rules for standing fighters up when there's not much action. But I think san shou is inherently designed for some pretty exciting fights (tho there are exceptions).

ShaolinTiger00
04-16-2004, 06:27 PM
more new san shou teams, mmmmmmmm..... fresh meat

He11 Yeah!

Suntzu
04-17-2004, 08:49 AM
sorry i'm late......... it's about time something solid got jumping in the area.............KK owes me a beer......