PDA

View Full Version : push hands drills.

norther practitioner
04-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Push hands drill:

We've been doing a lot of push hands lately (one of my favorite games)...

A good drill that we did the other day was a "getting used to getting pushed" drill that has one person hold there hands behind there back, as the other pushes them in different directions..

It really lets you know how your root is, and how well balanced you are in said root.

You guys do any fun drills w/ push hands?

Snake/Crane
04-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I think drills are an excellent way of practicing and increasing one’s skill level. However, you might want to reconsider the placement of the hands in the drill that you described. I believe that by placing the hands behind one’s back can restrict movement in the shoulders. Having the hands just hang naturally might reveal more range of motion and better stability. Just an opinion. You can also do the drill with someone pushing from the side and or behind you.

Good luck in your training

norther practitioner
04-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I believe that by placing the hands behind one’s back can restrict movement in the shoulders.

And hence helps you twist at your waist, to coil..and we did that, this made it a little harder.
but I agree with the rest of what you said. The back and side thing we've done a little with too.:D

Thanks, anyone else?

TaiChiBob
04-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Greetings..

I emphasize closed eyes drills and pushing.. you learn to sense intentions and it forces you to sense your balance rather than use visual references.. i like the Wu style drills even-though i don't favor the form.. and moving drills are great if you can keep the players focused on the drills.. freestyle pushing with eyes closed is the best i have experienced for preparing for competition.. then, when you compete with eyes open you have developed skills that identify deceptions and allow you to look one way but "see/listen" another..

Be well...

norther practitioner
04-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Very nice, thank you tcb..

I do that most of the time I'm practicing..:D

It really does give you the sense of touch and intention.

TaiChiBob
04-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Greetings..

One thing i really notice is that with eyes closed most people express their Peng much more fully, really trying to "listen"..

Be well..

qiphlow
04-17-2004, 10:42 PM
yes yes yes!!! closed eye push hands is DA BOMB! it really gets people to slow down, not wrestle so much. and as far as the "get used to getting pushed" drills--FANTASTIC tool for helping you to learn to redirect with the body as opposed to hands. i use a similar drill--one person is offensive, the partner's job is strictly defense (only redirect, no pushing). does anyone think standing meditation helps their push hands? i know my push hands toook on a new dimension once i started a regular standing practice.

bamboo_ leaf
04-17-2004, 11:34 PM
(I emphasize closed eyes drills and pushing)

I would really caution and disagree with this advice. :(

Part of the training of push hands is to train the intent or yi. This is manifested and directed by the eyes. Closing your eyes or looking away as many do when pushing will not train this and is counter to basic taiji principles.

TaiChiBob
04-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Greetings..

My goal is a well rounded Taiji player.. eyes open/eyes closed.. practice is balanced.. closed eye practice needs emphasis until the students get comfortable with it, then they can balance according to their inclinations..

Part of the training of push hands is to train the intent or yi. This is manifested and directed by the eyes.
Does a blind man have no Yi? In a situation where we cant' see, night, dark room, etc... does Yi disappear?.. Yi exists and is available in any situation, we need only to expand our range of training in varying situations to expand the effectivness Yi.. Sometimes, we need to see beyond the confines of "classical thought" to evolve the Art.. I have trained with too many highly respected "Masters" that suggest this regimen, and my own personal experience is sufficient evidence to convince "me" that, "Closing your eyes or looking away as many do when pushing will not train this and is counter to basic taiji principles", is not counter to Taiji principles.. in fact it illuminates those principles from an internal perspective..

Ancient wisdoms are "perspectives in Time", intended to evolve.. to confine any concept (Yi included) to a rigid "dogmatic" practice is perhaps more contrary to Taiji principle than anything else.. regardless of literal or linguistic translations, Taiji is conceptually and originally a representation of "Change"..

Sometimes, we are so blinded by the depth and beauty of cultural concepts that we sterilize them with an "unchanging reverence".. confining the Art to existing concepts will kill it, it will stagnate and wither away..

Eyes open, eyes closed.. two sides of the same coin..

Be well..

bamboo_ leaf
04-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Our practices are differnt.

rigid "dogmatic" practice

there is nothing rigid or dogmatic about it. if what you do works then contiune. not an argument or trying to convince you or anyone of anything.

just some words of caution. heed it, if your experinces are differnt follow them. ;)

scotty1
04-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Np we do the same 'rag doll' drill as a warm up.

good workout for the legs and you can test the limits of your own balance. this is useful for the manipulator as well.

try doing it with the forearms instead of the hands.

Snake/Crane
04-19-2004, 01:54 PM
“does anyone think standing meditation helps their push hands? i know my push hands toook on a new dimension once i started a regular standing practice.”

As a supplement to doing the form, standing IMHO is very beneficial to push hands and Tai Chi overall. It’ another exercise which builds skills of intent, relaxation, and chi development. I have seen demonstrations in which hand/contact skills were performed by the skilled demonstrator blindfolded. I believe that this is merely to show the possibilities of what can be achieved, not necessarily was this to imply that by practicing without seeing was a way to gain higher skill. Maybe it’s a fun way to test your skill. In my studies, I have not personally been instructed by any of my teachers to practice and develop the skills within push hands with my eyes closed. Nor have I read any articles promoting or giving advice on how to proceed along these lines. I have an open mind and am always looking to learn. For those of you who practice without seeing, did your teacher practice this way, or do you know if his/her teacher practiced that way also. Can you direct me to any reading which might support the benefits of this type of practice? Not being of a high skill level, I must rely on all my awareness, seeing, touching, and hearing.

Thank You