PDA

View Full Version : Xingy vs. Bagua

blackmantis
04-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi there,

Is Jet Li in "The One" an accurate demonstration of Bagua and Xingyi in combat?

If not, what are they like in combat?

S

Brad
04-17-2004, 12:16 PM
He said he modified them for the movie.

PHILBERT
04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Yeah, they are modified big time to look flashy. And try both to see.

mossman
04-17-2004, 09:48 PM
XingYi- When he is stepping and punching in the jail cell, I thought that was a pretty good representation. I donno about making a dent in metal though.

BaGua- When he was walking the circle in his room in his house looked pretty accurate.

But keep in mind, Jet Li never studied XingYi or BaGua.

Buddy
04-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Jesus,
You guys aren't serious are you? It was total movie horse****.

How can you even say :
"But keep in mind, Jet Li never studied XingYi or BaGua "

And then say "When he is stepping and punching in the jail cell, I thought that was a pretty good representation.

BaGua- When he was walking the circle in his room in his house looked pretty accurate.

You know nothing about either style though, right? Why do you people give an opinion when you you have no basis for it?

Next backbreaker will start with his opinion.

mossman
04-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Buddy
Jesus,
You guys aren't serious are you? It was total movie horse****.

How can you even say :
"But keep in mind, Jet Li never studied XingYi or BaGua "

And then say "When he is stepping and punching in the jail cell, I thought that was a pretty good representation.

You know nothing about either style though, right? Why do you people give an opinion when you you have no basis for it?

Next backbreaker will start with his opinion.

It doesn't look like you answered the the original poster's question.

Buddy
04-19-2004, 06:15 AM
which part of equine scatology was confusing?

Midnight
04-19-2004, 06:18 AM
I study Bagua....I agree with Mossman when he says that it looked to be accurate when Jet Li was doing it.

Brad
04-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I think some people are missing the original question: Is Jet Li in "The One" an accurate demonstration of Bagua and Xingyi in combat?

In combat, absolutely not. For movie fighting everything has to be modified quite a bit to look good to non-experts. Real fighting is rather ugly and boring to most non-martial artists and doesn't film well.

The form work for the bagua fairly pretty acurate, though Jet Li's defenitely not a Bagua expert and the performance was a little more... dramatic(?). The Xingyi form was defenitely modified more to be harder and "fiercer" to fit in with the villian's personality.

BTW, I've done a little bit of xingyi & bagua, but don't have a particularly good understanding of either, so I'm mostly talking about external apperances here :)

BTW, I'm fairly certain Jet Li DID learn at least some Bagua & Xingyi back before he was a big shot movie star, though his main thing was Fanzi Quan. His webmaster put up a list of what all he's studied before.

Brad
04-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Found it:

Jet specialized in the following styles:

* chang quan (long fist)
* dao (broadsword)
* gun (staff)
* fanzi quan (tumbling fist)
* 3-section staff
* pu dao (horse chopper)

And in addition, Jet also studied the following styles (some in more depth than others).

* taiji quan (the 5 main styles)
* xing yi quan
* bagua zhang
* jian (straightsword)
* qiang (spear)
* zui quan (drunken fist)
* tang lang quan (mantis fist)
* ying zhao quan (eagle claw boxing)
* zui jian (drunken sword)
* shuang dao (double broadswords)
* axe
* battle axe
* double hooks swords
* fork
* 9 section whip
* mace
* hammer
* talon
* trident-halberd
* long-handled spear
* short cudgel
* meteor hammer
* rope dart

Midnight
04-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Brad
The form work for the bagua fairly pretty acurate, though Jet Li's defenitely not a Bagua expert and the performance was a little more... dramatic(?). The Xingyi form was defenitely modified more to be harder and "fiercer" to fit in with the villian's personality.

Both assesments are correct here. Dramatization is an excellent way of describing his Bagua. It was an attempt to show that particular characters softness, and empty mind. While the Xing-i was demonstrating the bad dudes ferosity and anger.

BTW, I'm fairly certain Jet Li DID learn at least some Bagua & Xingyi back before he was a big shot movie star, though his main thing was Fanzi Quan. His webmaster put up a list of what all he's studied before.

I do believe his main style is Wushu, tho I could be mistaken.

doug maverick
04-19-2004, 10:02 AM
i mean it's some what of a display i liked his xing yi it was okayif not a bit flashy he tried to show it had force, as for his bagua, my sifu just showed me the single palm change and said i'll show more later(i've been with him for like three years, he just move to cali and i'm still waiting for more bagua) but from a xing yi perspective i guess it was decent i loved the homage he payed to gou yun shen in the jail scene. anyway the one sorta sucked it had it's good points thou, jet always gives up the good roles for crappy one's i heard he retiring.thank the matrix(lol)

mossman
04-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Dear Buddy,

blackmantis asked-

"Is Jet Li in "The One" an accurate demonstration of Bagua and Xingyi in combat?"
"If not, what are they like in combat?"

He did NOT ask "Was the total movie any good?"

Yes, I agree with you that the movie was poorly done and just a bad movie. It is a sci-fi movie not a kungfu movie. It will be found in the sci-fi section at the video store.

As for my background; No I have never taken lessons in BaGua or XingYi but I have read numerous books, have seen demonstrations and have a general knowledge of the arts.

As I originally stated; -It doesn't look like you answered the the original poster's question.

I know you have a since of humor Buddy so remember this cute little phrase:

Arguing over the internet is like winning the special olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.