PDA

View Full Version : Chum Kiu?

tiger7
06-12-2001, 10:19 PM
Is there a video or book that shows and explains details on the second form Chum Kiu?

Dave Farmer
06-12-2001, 11:42 PM
Hi Tiger7

There are a few books I've seen with the form, noteably Wing Tsun Kuen (leung Ting) and if you can still buy it, Nucleus of Wing Chun (stephen T.K Chan).
Also Randy Williams hard back volume on chum kiu is unorthodox but very nicely presented.

The actual forms and interpretations are slightly different from my own lineage but interesting none the less.

There are a few others, Maybe look on amazon.co

I believe Ip Chun is bringing out a new series of books in the new year covering all 3 forms and the dummy.

All of the above also have video's but I've not actually seen any of them so couldn't comment.

Best wishes

Dave F.

'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

dre_doggX
06-13-2001, 02:02 AM
you should go to amazon.com and get advance wing chun by william chueng.

Andre Lashley

Martial Joe
06-13-2001, 02:32 AM
Doesnt he do his stuff different from the rest.I mean alot different...

Martial Joe
06-13-2001, 02:33 AM
I think you should get a book made from your lineage.

Sihing73
06-13-2001, 03:54 PM
Hello,

While it is always better to have live instruction this may not always be the case. I would suggest that you choose one method which you like and stick to that one. You will find that many people teaching the "same" thing do things quite differently. Rather than confuse yourself with variations find one method and build a firm foundation in that first.

If you do decide to learn from books or videos be aware that you will develope subtle errors in your technique. This is unavoidable as you will not be able to distinguish the proper energy and feeling without the benefit of more experienced partners.

Having said that here are a few suggestions which I liked ;)

Books:

Secret Techniques of Wing Chun by Chao and Weakland: This is a three book series which covers the first three forms of Wing Chun. It breaks down each movement and gives practice suggestons.

Randy Williams series of books: I have his Six book series but I believe he is rereleasing a condensed version soon.

Videos:

I like the series put out by Sifu Chung Kwok Chow. I may be a little prejudiced here as I train with Sifu Chow from time to time. But, I like the way he breaks things down and the detail he goes into. Too many tapes show the form and maybe some applications, but that's it. Sifu Chow will give an explanation of the energy involved and the detail of the technique. Plus, his tapes cover from the 1st form to the Dummy.

I have heard different things about Randy Williams tapes. I have not seen them so I can not comment other than to say that he seems to cover everything in the system in one form or another. Of course with something like 20 or more tapes I would hope everything is covered :p

There are other tapes I would reccommend such as those by Alan Lamb and Augustine Fong but the two listed above provide a systematic progression through the system. Anyhow, that is just MHO so take it for what its worth.

Peace,

Dave

OdderMensch
06-13-2001, 09:25 PM
My sifu has a, in my highly biased opinion, wonderful set of tapes called "Wing Chun for Combat" Also in that set is the "master's series" with Sifu Alan Lamb.

http://www.authentickungfu.com/wctapes/index.html

I have seen a few bits from Augustine Fong's tapes and he seems great, i would love to see more. I have also seen one of Randy William's tapes, and that was plenty. His book series is great and if i can ever earn up the dough I will defenetly buy them all.

benny
06-15-2001, 12:24 PM
dave,
Secret Techniques of Wing Chun by Chao and Weakland is that any good. ive tryed ordering it but its never in stock.
I like the series put out by Sifu Chung Kwok Chow,
where could i get this

Sihing73
06-15-2001, 01:39 PM
Hi Benny,

You can try through Amazon.com. I just looked and they listed the books as in stock.

As to whether or not they are any good ;) I like them :) . I think that, for a book, they are okay. Some of the shapes are slightly different but overall I found it a good reference. I like the way the books break each technique down and give a suggestion as to how many times to practice the movement as well as a schedule for progression. You do the form after having doen each seperate movement many times. I find that when I break the forms down to the individual elements and follow a schedule similar to the books my understanding improves. But hey, you can only do so much with a book.

Here is a link to a site where you can order Sifu Chows videos:

http://www.espytv.com/wing.htm

Hope this is helpful.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
06-15-2001, 09:39 PM
www.sunnytangvingtsun.com (http://www.sunnytangvingtsun.com)