PDA

View Full Version : What is it with punches?

IronFist
04-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Watching KOTC, I see people take punches all the time. They get punched in the face so much and they hardly ever bleed or get swollen or bruises or black eyes. They get punched in the face like 5 or 10 times and just keep going. Man, last time I got punched in the face I got a black eye.

Then, two of the matches ended in under 15 seconds with like one or two hit KO's. And they weren't like weak fighters, either. One was some important match between these two famous guys or something, and it ended in like 11 seconds with a KO.

How come sometimes guys get the crap punched out of them and nothing happens, and other times all it takes is one punch?

And how do they take so many face punches? Almost every time I get hit in the face I get a bloody nose or a black eye and I have to take a break for a while, until the swelling gets taken care of or until my nose stops bleeding. How do these people eat jabs and crosses and hooks all day and not even bleed once? Is my nose just a wuss?

Kristoffer
04-18-2004, 12:46 AM
maybe coz they are pro fighters and your not?

Unmatchable
04-18-2004, 12:59 AM
a straight punch or a hook to the judge will knock anyone out cold.

FatherDog
04-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Well, I'd wager that some of the difference is that some of the folks are arm-punching rather than punching with the whole body. This could be why sometimes guys are getting hit five and ten times and not looking too bad, whereas other times they go down with one (good) shot.

Also, some people bruise more easily than others - that's just genetic.

It's been indicated that a good chin is largely due to strong neck muscles - strong neck == harder to knock out.

At any rate, there's a lot of variation.

Mr Punch
04-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Father Dog has punched the correct in the face, once, and it went down.

What you should do is when you wake up, punch yourself in the face 10 times. By the end of the second week you should have increased the power to about 75%. Running behind buses and not stopping when they do helps also, as well as building up your endurance.

And make sure you post the vid here.

Losttrak
04-18-2004, 07:04 AM
The more you get hit the more you can take it. When I was in full training, my arms and shins wouldnt bruise at all no matter what. Now I am cookie dough. With a little practice I could get it back there. I did notice that the more I was hit to the face in full-contact the less it showed when I bruised. It still hurt the same but never became discolored. Dont ask me why specifically.. I guess its just another form of conditioning.

SevenStar
04-18-2004, 09:14 AM
The face is a little different though. conditioned or not, a well placed hook will make the horizon spin. Like Dog was saying though, some of it is genetic, and neck strength also plays a factor. Also, some fighters know how to roll with punches so that they are not absorbing full impact.

For an example of one that may be genetic, watch Cabbage. That big boy takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

For someone that knows how to absorb a blow, watch royce.

dodger87
04-18-2004, 09:48 AM
like bruce lee said, you gotta put your hip into it.

Liokault
04-18-2004, 11:14 AM
A punch in the face is a punch in the face.

Now having said that, there is much more to it that meets the eye (like the pun :D).

If you are taking shots to the face and you are just standing letting it happen with your chin sticking out you are going to go down real fast, even to the weakest puncher)

If you take actions such as trying to take anything that you cant avoid higher up the head (preferably the forehead), keeping the chin tucked in, keeping moving so that any shot that does get through is not going to be from a big wind up etc.

Just the act of keeping the chin into the chest helps tons.

Knifefighter
04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
While learning to take the punch is definitely part of the equation, most fighters who take shots to the face still get pretty banged up. You just don't see it. It takes a while for most of the swelling and bruising to occur. A large part of it doesn't happen until the fight is over. Swelling maximizes an hour or two after the fight and bruising (as in black eyes) shows its full effect one, two, or three days after the fight. If you ever see a fighter up close the day after a fight, you will see some pretty good bruising.

backbreaker
04-19-2004, 10:30 AM
I saw my pankration teacher walking down the street a day after he had a muay thai title fight that he won. He was walking so slowly taking tiny baby steps. I'd wonder what the lose was like? Both fighter took alot of roundhouse knees on the inside. SOmetimes it seems to me, when someone is hit in the jaw sometimes their legs go out from underneath them, and sometimes they are fine. In UFC if they go down they are usually finished off

IronFist
04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
When I got a black eye it swole up like a mofo within 2 minutes (before the fight was over). The swelling went down over the next few days as the bruise got worse.

So I was under the impression that swelling came on very quickly.

SevenStar
04-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by backbreaker
SOmetimes it seems to me, when someone is hit in the jaw sometimes their legs go out from underneath them, and sometimes they are fine. In UFC if they go down they are usually finished off

Spin around in a circle about 50 times. Get real dizzy. start shadowboxing. That's how a solid hook will make you feel.

Water Dragon
04-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

Spin around in a circle about 50 times. Get real dizzy. start shadowboxing. That's how a solid hook will make you feel.

BASEBALL BAT DRILL!!!!!

Meat Shake
04-19-2004, 11:37 AM
If you are good I will show you iron face technique.
No can defense.