PDA

View Full Version : Full time schools

stubbs
04-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know of any good schools that can provide all inclusive "training holidays"? Somewhere that includes full time training, food, and accomodation in their prices.

I found this one a while back which seemed quite good but their site is down

http://www.wengchunsanjoang.com/

Can be anywhere but preferable in or near Hong Kong. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Stubbs
________
Washington medical marijuana dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

kj
04-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately, the link provided didn't work for me.

As you mention "holidays," I am unsure if you are looking for short term training, long term training, or both. In case of the former, there is still some room for the upcoming annual Wing Chun Camp hosted by Kenneth Chung and Ben Der. Here is a little background, in case it's relevant:

The location is a beautiful spot in Marin County, California, and training spans 4 days (with a 3 day option), June 24 - 27. Meals and dormitory style lodging are included in the tuition price.

Instructors this year will include Kenneth Chung, Ben Der, and Dr. Jack "Tok Fok" Ling, all of who are from Hong Kong (in case that matters). Ken Chung and Jack Ling are direct students of Leung Sheung, and Ben Der is Ken's senior-most student. (Ben originally began his Wing Chun studies under Yip Man, circa Bruce Lee and Hawkins Cheung, with whom he used to chum around.)

More info is posted online at http://www.rochesterwingchun.com/RWC_files/pages/Wing_Chun_Camp.htm. A few additional updates will be posted soon including an optional pre-camp luncheon, inclusion of a special BBQ, and more detailed agenda.

The camp is highly recommended, with Wing Chun all day and night till you drop. It is open to practitioners in all lines and schools of Wing Chun. The time with Ken, Ben, and Jack alone is well worth the modest tuition, not to mention the opportunity of experiencing their skills and perspectives (both technical and historical). There will also be lots of time to work out with other practitioners of all skill and experience levels.

If interested, you can probably solicit perspectives on the camp experience from some of its many past attendees who check in here from time to time. (For whatever reasons they tend to remain quiet unless explicitly called upon.) Similarly, there are quite a few folks around who have met or worked with Ken, Ben or Jack in varying degrees and venues, and may have relevant insights to share.

Whatever it is you are looking for in training or schools, good luck in your search.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

stubbs
04-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks Kathy, good link!

That Wing Chun camp is something I'll bear in mind for the future. I think I'd get more out of it when I'm more experienced.

I haven't had any formal teaching in Wing Chun before. I've been practising a variety of martial arts over the past few years, mostly modern, and I'm only just starting to learn some Wing Chun techniques from my training partner now.

I'm thinking about taking a month out for some intensive training. The link I provided isn't working at the moment but when it was up it seemed to be what I was looking for. I can't remember where they were based, somewhere near Hong Kong I think, and they charged 5000RMB (about 600USD)for a months training, food and accomodation. I emailed them last year because I was looking to travel last September but that fell through. Their training schedule seemed very good and was well structured. Shame the sites down, I'm not sure how long its been down for. I still had their email so I've sent them another one to see if the school's still open and if anythings changed.

Do you have any suggestions for training locations for about a month?

Thanks again,
Stubbs
________
HARLEY-DAVIDSON FL (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FL)

Ernie
04-18-2004, 02:13 PM
stubbs
if your into wsl
my teacher gary lam does month long live in programs
http://garylamwingchun.com/training.html
bottom of the page :)

if you want to talk to some guys that have been doing it i might be able to track down some emails

there has been a flood of people from germany for some reason so i'm not sure what dates are open

Ultimatewingchun
04-18-2004, 06:42 PM
This weekend Grandmaster William Cheung just completed a camp-style seminar...Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday...it was a sleep over affair (with meals included) at a big "real" commercial summer camp in New Jersey that Keith Mazza rented out for the seminar.

And after the completion of the seminar - this afternoon - my good friend, our very own Phil Redmond, took his test for the Master Level...and passed. I witnessed the test myself...and congratulations , Phil !

No more "Provisonal Master Level 3,4,5 etc....for Phil.

Here's now Master Phil Redmond in Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu.

kj
04-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Phil!

Regards,
- kj

WCis4me
04-18-2004, 07:51 PM
And after the completion of the seminar - this afternoon - my good friend, our very own Phil Redmond, took his test for the Master Level...and passed. I witnessed the test myself...and congratulations , Phil !

No more "Provisonal Master Level 3,4,5 etc....for Phil.

Here's now Master Phil Redmond in Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu.
Way to go Victor,
You got to tell me first lol. I Was at work all afternoon until about an hour ago and he hasn't been able to reach me.

Doubt he will want to be called anything other than Sifu though. He is humble like that.
I am really happy for him.
WAY TO GO PHIL!!!

planetwc
04-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Way to go Phil!

Looks like long, hard, dedicated training pays off.

anerlich
04-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Well done Phil Redmond!

Ernie
04-18-2004, 08:48 PM
get down with the get down phil

:) :) :)

Phil Redmond
04-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi All,
I just got to a computer. I'm still on the road. I'm heading to do a seminar at Payne Whitney Gym, Yale Univ. tonight at 6:00pm.
I have no clue what Victor is talking about......grin.
Thanks Victor, and everyone. I got thrown a curve by Cheung Sifu. I thought I only had to give him a thesis on
Chinese philosophy, TCM, Chinese herbs, and fighting strategy which I did, and that would be it. It turned out that I had Keith Mazza attacking me with empty hands, a single butterfly sword, as well as chi sau. Mazza's punches are like hammers. I was blocking for survival. I don't remember what I did. I got to see it later on a tape. Whew.... I made it though. Now there are 4 Masters in the WWCKFA. Victor, you're up to bat next.
Phil

yuanfen
04-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Congratulations Phil.

Joy

Shadowboxer
04-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Congratulations on your promotion! Unfortunately, I won't be able to see you in Ohio (I'll be in New Mexico). However, Sifu and Dana will be there. I hope the CD I made arrived. Keep on keepin on.

-Chad

Gandolf269
04-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Stubbs,

It is possible to train full time, in WingTsun, at the Langenzell Castle located in Germany. The link with this information is http://wingtsunwelt.vipex.net/english/wingtsun/ausbildung/ausbildung_01.html

foolinthedeck
04-21-2004, 09:52 AM
in the UK, michael tse runs a week long camp every year. Sigong Tse is hong kong born and bred, Ip Chun was his teacher and he is very good.

http://www.qimagazine.co.uk/2004.html

Phil Redmond
04-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone.
Chad, It looks like I'm not going to Ohio either. Please give Sifu Cottrell my regards.