PDA

View Full Version : Prodical Son

Highlander
05-09-2001, 08:24 PM
I saw a poll on another web site about favorite WC movies. Prodical Son was by far the favorite. I haven't seen it yet so I am wondering, what makes this movie so special? If I find a copy, what things should I pay particular attention to? Is there any one thing that makes this movie stand out for you?

chisauking
05-09-2001, 09:11 PM
Prodigal son is one of the most popular gungfu films with wing chun practitioners because it depicts or portrays the skill of wing chun more authentically than other chopsuey films. The film also covers some aspects of wing chun concepts and highlights the direct and indirect approach of wing chun. For example, Leung Yee Tai, played by Lam Ching Ying, was of a small size, so he had to adapt to the less direct version of wing chun. If you watch, Leung Yee Tai had to flow round his opponents, but his sihing, Wong Wah Bo, played by Sammo Hung, could go right through his opponents due to his large frame.

However, I would like to point out that this film is historically inaccurate, and like most films, slightly over exaggerated. Still, it’s one of my favourite gungfu films, and I’m sure you will enjoy it immensely if you are a genuine wing chun practitioner. In fact, this film was so good at the time it was released, it virtually killed the Hong Kong gungfu film market overnight.

BeiKongHui
05-09-2001, 09:52 PM
This is my favorite Kung Fu movie of all time! It is a must see for anyone interested in Wing Chun. Lam Ching Ying is awesome as Leung Yee Tai!

Anyone know where to get the movie poster? :)

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

Highlander
05-09-2001, 10:06 PM
Thanks, this sounds like a must see. And yes I am a genuine Wing Chun practitioner.

You also mentioned that it is historically inaccurate. Does this mean it is supposedly based on a real historic event. Often I hear historic names and places inserted just for the marketting value. Is that the case here or is it a historic event with a lot of artistic license being applied. :)

FUJIYakumo
05-10-2001, 12:08 AM
prodigal son is great. i havnt seen warriors 2 yet (cant find it on dvd *yet*)... but that is meant to be a good WC movie too.

-Stu, Lifestyle Wing Chun, Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.lifestylewingchun.com

OdderMensch
05-10-2001, 12:23 AM
I love this film it has all the great qualites of a MA flick, violence, comedy, ninjas, drama and more violence.

BTW there is a recently rereleased version of "wariors two" avalible in the US, it is the "sequal" to Prodigel Son, and has similar elements and of course WING CHUN FIGHTING!

WARNING if your non-kung fu friends see this movie they are likely to suggest "improveing" your "training" by offering to attack you at random.

BeiKongHui
05-10-2001, 01:25 AM
Although Warriors 2 was made before Prodigal Son I think it has been repackaged as Prodigal Son 2 in some areas. I bought my copy from MartialArts Mart it's subtitled but worth it.
I didn't think it was as good as Prodigal Son but a good movie none the less. I would also recommend "Descendants of Wing Chun" which is available on the web for around $15 it's not in the same league as Sammo's movies but it IS a Wing Chun movie.

tnwingtsun
05-10-2001, 08:37 AM
In Prodigal son,what style did the Manchurain
guy with the rings practice(or meant to represent)????

BeiKongHui
05-10-2001, 05:41 PM
I think it was Bak Mei but I am not for sure.

tnwingtsun
05-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Thats what I heard,I guess it could pass as movie
Bai Mei,
phoenix eye fist gave it away. ;)