PDA

View Full Version : Style or Techniques?

Ou Ji
04-20-2004, 06:33 AM
While reading the CLF groundfighting thread it occured to me that some people feel a style of kung fu is a given set of techniues and forms. Others see it as a given set of principles and methods.

The former restricts you to only using the moves that are taught within the style. There is no room to make up groundfighting techniques that fit within the parameters of the style. If you didn't officially learn groundfighting, or it wasn't labeled groundfighting, then whatever you do is not part of the style.

I believe in the latter. Once you understand the principles of the style you can adapt to any situation whether standing, on the ground or underwater. Of course it helps to actually train under those circumstances.

The point is that techniques and sets can be created in the style of CLF just like poetry can be written in the style of Edgar Allen Poe.

So do you study CLF the style or CLF the techniques?

SevenStar
04-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Ou Ji

Once you understand the principles of the style you can adapt to any situation whether standing, on the ground or underwater.

That's not as true as many people would like to think...

Da_Moose
04-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Congratulations Ou Ji,

You have taken the firt step in beginning to better understand the world of the martial arts!

"If you didn't officially learn groundfighting, or it wasn't labeled groundfighting, then whatever you do is not part of the style."

Unfortunately, this is also true using principles of a style as well. I have seen some effective, well established styles based on prinicples missing components simply because no one will apply the principles to new situations, such as ground fighting. I have also heard of cases in which people become angry when they realize their style does not have all of the answers to cold combat. However, also keep in mind that many styles are personal expressions of one teacher's experiences. There is nothing wrong with this, just be aware that no one individual has had or considered every possible experience that exists (at least it is highly unlikely). This being said, I encourage you to look deeper than what any one style has to offer as many styles are not complete in the sense I mentioned above. Do not ignore a style, but do not become trapped by one either.