PDA

View Full Version : To Sihing73..Dan Chi?

greyseal
06-13-2001, 06:14 AM
I was looking over the old posts, and in one of them regarding Chi Sao techiniques/strategies, you mentioned dan chi(sp?). What is that? Single hand chi-sao?

Wei Sui
06-13-2001, 06:18 AM
Dan chi sau is single stiking hands... I don't know which message you were refering to but, yeah..I am assuming that is what he meant.

Keep the train hard

Dai yut tow dai :)

mun hung
06-13-2001, 11:18 AM
You've never heard of dan chi sau? Are you sure you're taking Wing Chun? ;)

tnwingtsun
06-13-2001, 11:59 AM
You've never heard of dan chi sau? Are you sure you're taking Wing Chun?

My thoughts too.

Ya can't plant the garden without the three seeds.

jameswebsteruk
06-13-2001, 12:29 PM
Hey lads,
Lets not forget that some teachers dont worry so much about the chinese names for things, while still teaching the right things.

My teacher uses the phrases "Dan Chi" and "Single Chi-Sao" interchangeably.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

Sihing73
06-13-2001, 01:06 PM
Hello,

Dan Chi Sau is the practice of using one hand at a time to perform the basic movements of Chi Sau. It allows one to concentrate on one arm and therefore perfect the movements. Most people would perform the sequence as:
Partner A-Taun/Bong/Palm
Partner B-Fook/Punch/Jum or Fook Sau
It is normally performed in a stationary stance but can incorporate footwork once a foundation is grasped. It is the foundation upon which Seong Chi Sau/Double Chi Sau is built.

A lot of people skip over Dan Chi in favor of Seong Chi but, IMHO, this is a mistake. Dan Chi allows one to really concentrate on one arm and work on the sensitivity. It allows one to perfect structure and stance before moving on.

Peace,

Dave

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 06-14-01 at 07:10 AM.]

greyseal
06-13-2001, 06:51 PM
Okay, I know what you're all talking about. I've never seen it written, and when the instructor says it, it sounds like Dong, I think, too much loud music, you know. I didn't make the connection, but I have practiced that. Thanks for answering though, much obliged.

mun hung
06-14-2001, 05:56 AM
Sorry for teasing, man. Actually you're right. The way it's pronounced in cantonese sounds more like "don". :) Who's your instructor?

greyseal
06-15-2001, 11:51 PM
Mun Hung, I study at Ancient Fighting Arts in NJ. The sifu is S Frankel. Check out the web site. www.njtaichi.com (http://www.njtaichi.com) . I don't know how to type it in so that it goes directly to the sight, but that's it. :)

kungfu cowboy
06-16-2001, 12:11 AM
Yeah, how DO you do that? :confused: