PDA

View Full Version : Indian Clubs

FooFighter
04-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Does anyone had any experience with these clubs and is it worth getting?

Ford Prefect
04-21-2004, 06:12 AM
I've played with actual "indian clubs" a couple times. They were light weight and wood, but the leverage of it really fries your grip. I've had more extensive use with leverage bars and clubbells (www.clubbell.tv). They are certainly worth getting as a grip sttrengthener. They are somewhat frusterating to use because it takes so long for your grip strength to catch up with the rest of your body, that for the first couple months of use your grip gives out long before you start getting a workout.

FooFighter
04-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Ford:

Thanks for the feedback. In my wing chun school, we also used Iron leverage bars in different sizes and weight for forearm and grip strength training which we think will support our punching technique and other specific WC tecnhique. I thought that the club bars would be good for core training, forearm training, and help me beat someone up nasty with a bat if need be. <wink>

Ford, I should start out with ten pounders, huh? Should but one single club bar or a pair of 10LB clubs? Do I need to get the video or just the book? I dont want to waste money and if the book is more detailed and I would rather get the book.

Ford Prefect
04-21-2004, 06:42 AM
The book is detailed, but it really helps to see the movement... well moving. If you were only going to get one, I'd say to get the video. If you have experience with leverage stuff, I'd recommend a pair of 15's to start. Like I said, it's easy to get frusterated in the beginning because you're grip really does give out so quick that the only body part getting a workout is your forearms. If you stick with it, your grip strength with increase to where you can actual workout your whole body with them and work it out good at that.

They also allow to you be inventive since you can minupulate them in ways you can't with barbells or kettlebells. I do pistols with them, the 4-corner balance drill, yoga poses, and various drills and combo's I come up with off the top of my head. That being said, I'd still recommend working regular lifting, bodyweight exercises, or kettlebells along with your club swinging.

FooFighter
04-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Ford Thanks. I will go purchase the 15Lb CBs . Would you be interested in selling me a copy of the video? I am a trust worthy and I have done a deal with Fa Ging. I sold him my video of Matt Furey's flexibility tapes. Pm me if you are interested helping me out?