PDA

View Full Version : Attn Peeps into Combatives. Echanis Black Book back in print.

rogue
04-21-2004, 07:06 PM
This is the infamous book that was so dangerous it was pulled by OHARA publications. This is a book that goes for about $100 on ebay. Finally can find out if this book is all it's cracked up to be or dog turds.

YinYangDagger
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
where's it at? do you have a link?

d@mn, I got 2 copies of the original Black Book, was hoping to get a monopoly going...I hate it when they reprint!

rogue
04-21-2004, 07:52 PM
It should be appearing on Black Belts web site real soon. Better sell them on ebay fast before word gets out. :p

YinYangDagger
04-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I guess BB figured it's time to cash in and make some more $$$. What you want to bet that they'll reprint those old Echanis articles soon? LOL

Supposedly Echanis had enough pics made to make 2 or 3 more books in that series, I wonder if they'll go with that, too? One I believe was Unarmed Killing techniques, or something like that...

WanderingMonk
04-22-2004, 06:32 AM
YYD,

Since you got the book, what's it like? Any ancient secret deadly killing technique like qi blast through air?

David Jamieson
04-22-2004, 06:44 AM
man, the dude's been dead for more than 30 years and his books are still causing a hoo ha!

He must be like Bruce Lee or something!

I got his stick fighting book. It's just pictures!:eek: nothing but pictures using sticks, canes and batons! lol, still, they are pretty good pictures.

The dude was a bonafide spec ops guy though, so he probably did some bad bad things before he got all blowed up by da baddies.

anyway, I'll probably get a copy of the re-release, it's only 15 bucks what the heck eh?

cheers

YinYangDagger
04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
WM - I actually like the book. It does have some pretty cool knife techniques, some useful, some not. I suppose that could be said about most any style.

Some techniques are defintitley overkill, which isn't a bad thing for the military. In other words, you don't stop sticking the blade into different kill zones until the guy (or girl) stops moving/breathing. It's going to be interesting to see if the new Black Book has been edited.

The predominate use is of the reverse grip nature, which I learned in the military. The really neat feature the book has is a very in depth slashing and thrusting chart for the human anatomy.

I'll see if I can't scan it and post it on here. If it's ok with the mods and if I'm not going to be in any copyright infringement suit.

WanderingMonk
04-22-2004, 01:12 PM
YYD,

Thanks for the reply, best check with the mod before posting copyright material.

wm

MasterKiller
04-22-2004, 01:16 PM
What is the advantage of the reverse grip?

YinYangDagger
04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
MK - IMO it's used for sneak attacks better (hiding the blade behind the forearm until you bring it into play), hooking and trapping (imagine using a double edge), harder to be disarmed, and stronger thrusting techniques. I've always been taught a slash is for maiming or hurting, a stab for killing.

Of course, there's some really good slashing points on the body that will kill too, jugular vein, femoral artery, etc, but for a sharpened object to actually pierce the body sends a BIG message to the brain, saying, "Hey, that metalic object does NOT belong there."

rogue
04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
YYD, I ordered the book last night. If I get it first I'll post here and we can compare the new with the old.

YinYangDagger
04-22-2004, 04:27 PM
sounds good to me rogue, let me know!

mickey
04-22-2004, 05:32 PM
YinYangDagger,

I thought I was the only one who remembered that there was supposed to be more books in the series. I remember reading in a Sulsa article(probably the first one in Black Belt) that Echanis already had a complete set of manuals. I thought that Black Belt was simply doing the mass production part. I also thought that Black Belt had those books ready; but, it was for instructors only.

Black Belt could have sold the reprint at twice the amount that they are now selling it and it would still sell like hotcakes.

mickey

YinYangDagger
04-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Mickey - Can't remember where I read it (but I can look for it again), but supposedly the other books were never made. I specifically remember the article said all the other pictures taken with Echanis were locked away in the Unique Publications' vault, and all books to be created by them were cancelled. I'm a HUGE Echanis fan - he was everything I always envisioned a warrior to be growing up. Shot up in 'Nam, the doctors said he'd never function properly again, then he started doing chi kung and working with martial arts. Basically another good story of the mind and body proving doctors wrong. Then he went on to be a bada$$ merc that was really proficient with various blades like shuriken, swords, knives (of course), etc.

Truth be known, Micahel Echanis is what got me interested in the martial arts as a kid around 12 years old. Not Bruce Lee (like so many other kids). Although there's nothing wrong with BL, I always thought ME was the super-cool guy LOL.

mickey
04-22-2004, 06:24 PM
YinYangDagger,

I remember that vault thing too. I hope they print out the others.

mickey

kungfu cowboy
04-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Is it true he was a former Chippendale's dancer?

rogue
04-22-2004, 07:27 PM
YYD - From people that knew him, Echanis was never a super-cool guy. He was a killer, a thief, had little honor and really not someone you'd want to know. Not so much a warrior as a psycho whose karma caught up with him. He wasn't even a good "martial artist" but he was a deadly ****er.

I beleive that Randy Warner has the photos for the books.

YinYangDagger
04-22-2004, 09:11 PM
rogue - that may be the case, but I didn't know that as a kid

remember, there's people that claim Bruce Lee was a jerk too, and that he couldn't fight "for real"

everyone is entitled to an opinion, especially when the one they're talking about is dead

cerebus
04-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I just checked the Black Belt/ Ohara Publications website and this book is nowhere to be found. Where and how did you find it? I have an original copy but wouldn't mind having an extra. T.

mickey
04-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Hello cerebus,

I saw the advertisment for the Echanis book in the latest issue of Black Belt magazine. It was a shock to my system because I had recently got one through ebay.

Did you find a Taikiken book yet?

mickey

cerebus
04-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Cool thanks! Haven't found a copy of the Taikiken book yet, but then I haven't really been looking either. Later.