PDA

View Full Version : Changing schools??

web777
04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I had an opprtunity to train at another school the other night and I like it better than my regular school. This "new" school was actually opened by one of my Sifu's student but not under my Sifu's school since he learned from other people as well. He teaches a lot of technique which I like.

Problem is that I'm am very loyal to my sifu and really can't decide to stick with the old or go with the new. I don't know if my sifu is just testing my character and teaching applications later. Any advice? Thanks!

Yang Fool
04-22-2004, 02:03 PM
How long have you been at current school?
What style?
Why did you choose that school?
What did you expect to get from CMA training?
How much do you practice what you are being taught?

web777
04-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Been at my current school for 3 years.
I'm learning Hung Gar.
I chose the school because he's good. Many good fighters came from him.
I chose CMA for the art. But I want to know what each move can do in the forms.
I practice at least 5 days a week.

ShaolinTiger00
04-22-2004, 02:23 PM
web77,

Do what is in your own best interest.

"loyalty", "testing your character" - garbage. You either want to train there or go train somewhere else. This is 2004. not Ancient China.

norther practitioner
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Talk to your sifu...

tell him what you are interested in, how long it will take, etc...

If he says never, go elsewhere..lol:D

joedoe
04-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
web77,

Do what is in your own best interest.

"loyalty", "testing your character" - garbage. You either want to train there or go train somewhere else. This is 2004. not Ancient China.

ST00 is right, though I wouldn't put it as harshly as he has. Respect and loyalty are a two-way thing. If you are not happy with what you are learning from your teacher, then talk to him and if you are still not happy with what you are learning from him then go elsewhere. He has to show some loyalty to you as well ;)

web777
04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
What makes it even worst is, I'm now related to him by marriage so I will see him during family get togethers. I think you he used to teach a lot differently than he does now. He might be bored of teaching??:confused:

Yang Fool
04-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Marriage! Well that sure ups the ante.
Three years, 5 days a week. Sounds like you have done your part.
At my school we are going through a drought of applications as well.
We have been trying to drop hints. Sometimes I get the feeling that my Sifu may be a little bored with teaching yet he has the patience to show me the same thing over and over when I am having trouble learning part of a form.
I tell myself I am learning humility and patience as well. Though this is not ancient China there are more direct ways to learn how to fight if that is all one wants to do.

web777
04-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by web777
What makes it even worst is, I'm now related to him by marriage so I will see him during family get togethers. I think you he used to teach a lot differently than he does now. He might be bored of teaching??:confused:

That didn't come out right, I'm not married to him! His daughter married my cousin.

joedoe
04-22-2004, 06:30 PM
If he is bored with teaching, then he should not be teaching. Again, it comes down to the fact that loyalty goes both ways.

Starchaser107
04-22-2004, 07:52 PM
don't just disappear like that , talk to your sifu about your concerns. its not ancient china , but it's still bad manners.
maybe theres a reason that he's doing what he's doing, if you don't ask don't just assume that he's bored.
maybe you're just not ready to do more stuff yet.
there's lots of possibilities, talk to him first.

WinterPalm
04-22-2004, 07:59 PM
I think that regardless of ancient China or 2004, the respect thing still plays a huge part in the whole of kungfu. Fighting is just not what it's all about, there is so much more and you should realize that when you join a kungfu school.
I think that if you don't like what you're learning with your Sifu, remember, he is there to teach you, not to give you everything at face value. A lot of hard work on your part is necessary both in the kwoon and on your own. He will guide you but you must follow him. If you don't like his teaching method to the point where you are not getting everything you feel you should be, and patience has worn thin, tell him you are choosing to leave and hope for the best. There is no sense in you staying and not being fully dedicated; it wastes his time and yours, which could be spent pursuing other studies. However, choosing to learn from his student might either be looked at as good, because at least that way it is still in the "family", or, it will be looked on as bad depending on how the former student conducts himself and the terms the two are on.
Whatever you do, do not quit studying, that is the important thing, pursue the art as far as you can possibly go.:)

Starchaser107
04-22-2004, 09:02 PM
oh yeah just another thing to consider

suppose the former student decides to stop teaching for whatever reason after you join,

what would you do?, go back to your old sifu... would he care?
if he did accept you back what would you need to do to regain his confidence?

ShaolinTiger00
04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
what would you do?, go back to your old sifu... would he care?

are you serious? "take him back?"

If you are paying for lessons. he is providing you with a service. you have every right to buy the best service available. respect is a seperate issue. you can respect him as a teacher/ friend and train somewhere else. that is your perrogative. if he shows hard feelings he should be taken out back and shot in the head with the rest of the instructors who act like this. ( before you guys lynch me the Brazilians may be the worst group of all with "loyalty" "creonte" etc.) because if he has any respect for YOU, then he will want you to be happy.

web777
04-22-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm sure he'll take me back. He's a great person besides a being a master in kung fu. I was always happy with the training and what not. But I guess I didn't know what I was missing.