PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun: Equalizer/Sawed-Off?

MikeDensity
05-06-2001, 05:28 PM
Hello all,

I'm recently started training in Wing Chun here in Salt Lake. While looking for info on WC I came across something that said "Wing Chun is the sawed-off shotgun, the 'equalizer' of the martial arts." Would the more experienced practitioners agree with this statement? To me it implied that Wing Chun has some kind of 'unfair' advantage.

A valid claim or simply an attempt to attract customers to the product the author was advertising?

I'd opt for the latter, but my Wing Chun is pretty bad. At least not quite at the 'Sawed-Off Shoutgun' phase. What do the ones who know more about Wing Chun say?

Mike

Highlander
05-06-2001, 07:22 PM
I don't think it implies any hidden advantage. It may be better to state "Wing Chun is to Kung Fu what a sawed off shotgun is to firearms".

1) A sawed off shotgun is a very close range weapon compared to other firearms. So is Wing Chun.

2) A sawed off shotgun is powerful and direct, so is Wing Chun.

3) A sawed off shotgun is designed to devastate the opponent by inflicting maximum damage as quickly as possible so is Wing Chun. This is as opposed to controlling even thought elements of that can be present.

I could go on describing similarities, but I think the above 3 are enough to illistrate my point.

So, basically describing WC as a close range, powerful, direct, devastating, method of self preservation would be accurate. Likewise, describing a sawed off shotgun the same way is also accurate. :)

kungfu cowboy
05-06-2001, 10:04 PM
I like your interpretations, but I doubt that whoever wrote the sawed-off shotgun thing had bright people making metaphors in mind. :D

MikeDensity: I have seen that on a couple websites: I which one did you see it on? I wonder whose doing the plagiarism? ;)

Watchman
05-06-2001, 11:49 PM
Mike, who do you train with in Salt Lake?

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Sunt hic etiam sua praemia laveli
"Here too virtue has its due reward."

MikeDensity
05-07-2001, 05:53 AM
Kung Fu Cowboy, I use the name MikeDensity because my band's name is My Density (Back to the Future reference) and my name is Mike, so I jammed the two together and use it as an all-purpose website username. So, I wonder where you're seeing other's using it, or maybe it's just me on other websites!

Watchman, I just started training with Sifu Jon Nielson. His WC class is great. I'm guessing you're also from Utah from your 'Promised Land' location :) You should check out the class if you're in the area.

Keep on training,

Mike

kungfu cowboy
05-07-2001, 06:59 AM
MikeDensity: The name on other websites thing was the "sawed-off shotgun" analogy, not your screen name. (I thought it might be in reference to Back to the Future! :D )