PDA

View Full Version : IP addresses

SevenStar
04-23-2004, 08:34 AM
let's say I move to another country - japan, for instance. If you trace my IP addy, how would it show as a US addy, unless I was using a long distance dialup number? Is it possible for me to be in one country and have an addy for a different country?

I know I can mask an address, but we're not talking computer nerds here, just the avg. joe (josephine?) in another country.

David Jamieson
04-23-2004, 10:06 AM
depends totally on the ip range of addresses and the server farm that banks em.

for instance, I live in canada, but my website is hosted out of colorado! I have an imap mail service there too.

My ip for my machine is coming off a server in Toronto though because my isp keeps it's server farm here in the city.

However, it can be outsourced too and in the future we'll see mor of that where you're actual service provider can eb anywhere ion the world.

afterall, electrons travel at the speed of light! Geographical location is becoming less and less important as nodes and server farms pop up everywhere.

with sattelite tech improving, well, your ip address range may soon one day be located in outer space!

cheers

Xebsball
04-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Did you know i was born without an IP?

David Jamieson
04-23-2004, 10:17 AM
i believe that's a pee flap xebs, different thing all together:D

Ford Prefect
04-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Sure, but it requires hopping to a different network which is kind of along the same lines as a long distance dial-up number. There is a lot of software/freeware out by hackers who believe the internet should be free that does a lot of IP masking/spoofing, and allows general anonymity. There's also proxies... Stuff like that.

Royal Dragon
04-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Your trace progam may not be going deep enough. I've run traces on IP's from my Dungeon forum in the past. On KC Elbows for instance, one program showed him to be in a different state than he was, but the other trace him through that state, back to his own city. I'm useing his example, soley because I know his actual physical location to begin with.