PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen during meditation?

jbmmaster
04-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Has anyone during meditation all of a sudden start hearing your breath from the inside and all other noise is blacked out? This has not only happened during meditation but during kungfu class as well. Do you think it may be a loss of oxygen to the brain or something because of improper breathing or is it something good? Im totally clueless as to what it may be.

Tainan Mantis
04-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I recall, Michael Colgan I think, said it was from hard training when the Ph of the blood had a slight change.
This has happened to me in heavy prolonged training, not in meditation.
In meditation it may be something else and I am just misreading you.

jbmmaster
04-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Really, I didn't know that your bloods PH can change during hard training. If you have anymore information on this please keep me posted, This sound interesting. But as far as this experience during meditation goes I guess Ill have to talk to a Buddhist monk or something :D

looking_up
04-27-2004, 09:10 AM
If the levels of carbon dioxide are building up in your body, your blood ph will drop (more acidic).

jbmmaster
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Interesting, So If your experiencing this long term is it harmful or is it something that you'll just have to get used to and there's no health risks?

harry_the_monk
04-29-2004, 12:43 PM
During meditation it is good to concentrate on your breathing.
To be able to focus only on breathing is excellent.
maybe you are bringing your meditation out from your prescribed sessions and into your life as a whole. This would also be very good.

GeneChing
05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
...hearing your heart is better.

Mantis Texan
05-24-2004, 02:26 PM
It sounds as though your consciousness has definitely been raised towards monitoring your breath. I have had this experience in training including running, swimming and snow skiing. In meditation, I still have to work at remaining focused on the breath - but I would agree that it sounds like a positive thing unless it is accompanied by dizziness or other signs of a problem.

Odin of Wei
06-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by jbmmaster
Has anyone during meditation all of a sudden start hearing your breath from the inside and all other noise is blacked out? This has not only happened during meditation but during kungfu class as well. Do you think it may be a loss of oxygen to the brain or something because of improper breathing or is it something good? Im totally clueless as to what it may be.
This has never happened to me.

I have once felt that my head was heavy and I felt nusua. My sifu said that your should work out staring at the top or head. The head black sash was doing it out of what he said. And would do sholder rolls and circling of the neck after we did our workout.

...other than that...I have nooo idea. :D

Originally posted by looking_up
If the levels of carbon dioxide are building up in your body, your blood ph will drop (more acidic).
What is the Ph of blood?
Is it a 7 (aka nutrual)? :confused:

amswak
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
It generally stays fairly close to neutral, but it can vary a little depending on a lot of factors. For example, drinking more water brings you closer to neutral while drinking sodas raises the acidity due to carbonic acid. Also different workouts release different toxins which will change the Ph when they are in the bloodstream.

I don't know if it is the same thing that you are talking about, but sometimes, especially when my sinuses are messed up and/or when doing cardio, it feels like it has changed altitude suddenly and I can't clear my ears no matter how hard I try. It has to do with the inner ear forming a pressure difference not being able toreadjust properly for whatever reason. It causes breathing and talking and everything to sound similar to what you are talking about.