PDA

View Full Version : KF Qigong = KF Tai Chi?

WanderingMonk
04-24-2004, 01:27 PM
so, I am at my local newstand flipping through the magazine and I realize hey the name is different. I thought it was Kungfu Qigong, all sudden it is now Kungfu Taichi. What's the deal? Why did you guy drop qigong? Trying to cash in on the Tai chi "cash cow"??

oasis
04-24-2004, 01:40 PM
the magazine is not being schizophrenic ;) . i've noticed it's a theme of kf mag to use a certain name depending on the issue. if it focuses a certain issue on taiji, it is called kf tc; if it focuses on qigong, it's called kfqg. if it's a shaolin special, it's called kf shaolin!

i think it's pretty cool to do that. i wonder though. does that mean kf mag has to get a copyright/trademark on all 3 titles?

Liokault
04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Is there a Tai Chi cash cow? Why is my teacher so poor?

cerebus
04-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Because that's not "real" Tai Chi! Heh, heh, heh.:D :D :D

Royal Dragon
04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I was raking it in when I was teaching Taiji at the PK dist. I can only imagine if I had some marketing behind me and a store front school supported by a good kid's program.

My Taiji system is really simple. There's the 8 gates set, and the 37 move form. The 8 Gates is taught progressively by breaking it down into the 8 postures, 4 and 8 gates forms, and finnaly the 64 move form (Which is just the advanced 8 gates). I can keep students busy with that stuff for a year at least before they get into the 37 move form. There's another year at least of that till they get board of it all. That's not even covering the pushhands and application work (Which I've never done, so I can't teach it anyway, but if I had, I could keep going indefinately I'm sure).

Do the math, 2 classes of 12 students on the low side, to about 18-19 on the high side. Each paying $8-$10 PER CLASS, grosses you $96-$144 a night @ $8.00, or $120-$180 @ $10 per class.

If you say a low figure of $100 a night, X 3 nights a week, your Taiji class can pull in an extra $300+ a week for you, for one hours work a night.

WanderingMonk
04-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Is there a Tai Chi cash cow? Why is my teacher so poor?

I think it might have something to do with the focus of your school. If I recall correctly, your school teaches actual fighting. This is not where the money is at. If your school sell it like rehab therapy, therapuetic practice for senior people, etc., etc., I think the financial situation will pick up. Why do you think all those supposed kungfu masters wear silk pajama? They ain't about fighting, it all about the "benjamin" (US $100 bills has Mr. Benjamin Franklin's Protrait on it. In case you haven't seen it before in Britain).
:)

For those who are humor impair, this entire thread started as a joke.

GeneChing
05-04-2004, 09:39 AM
We did the name change back in Sep/Oct 2003 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=377)
of last year, for a Wudang special appropriately. We discussed it then on our TC media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24663) if you're seriously interested. A lot of thought went into our name changes.

Is Tai Chi a cash cow? Not really. But it is reaching more people than any other form of CMA, especially in regards with the elderly. The progress of Tai Chi and the elderly in the West is simply fantastic - it shows the range of CMA.

Becca
05-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Because that's not "real" Tai Chi! Heh, heh, heh.:D :D :D

Na. More like it is real Tai Chi. Yuppies don't want to pay to learn ancient arts. They want to pay for the hip thing thier lazy best friend does...:( :D

GeneChing
05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Tell them that nothing looks better than a tai chi broadsword (http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-60kk.html) in the gun rack of their SUV. We could use the business ;)