PDA

View Full Version : an account of MMA from an untrained female

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 07:12 AM
I think this woman became a fan last year...

http://www.gimcracker.com/blab/archives/000865.html

old jong
04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Glad she was so "excited" by that show!...:rolleyes:

WanderingMonk
04-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I knew it!! People join in MMA to get "groupies".

This is not "tai chi".

backbreaker
04-25-2004, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Royal Dragon
04-25-2004, 01:51 PM
It's a fraud, a staged testamony. She knows too much termonology to be a newbie.

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
I knew it!! People join in MMA to get "groupies".

This is not "tai chi".

heh. That's one of the main reasons.

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
It's a fraud, a staged testamony. She knows too much termonology to be a newbie.

The only term she used that's not common among people who don't train (and even some who do) was 'sprawl', and used it in the wrong context. Other than that, she mentioned bear hug, punch, kick, choke, etc are all commonly known techniques.

Also, listen to how she described a double leg: "The striker only got a few jabs in before the grappler gripped the guy by the legs and flung him on his back."

The only thing I would think looked suspect was that she knew what greco and bjj were, but those were likely described on the tape when they talked about a particular fighter's fighting style.

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 03:29 PM
notice the most recent comment to her write up:

"i think its all crap, i mean the jujitsu and ultimate fighting garbage. its not skill its wrestling and they say its no rules it has rules . to get into a ring and not beable to truly defend yourself without holding back, then knowone will really know what the true dominent art is. I know if i get in the ring first of all it better be anything really goes, why get beet up for a fight that you cant go to the max. its still a game. i dont like games especally when you cant use pressure points."

And I think that person IS trained...TKD is in his/her email addy.

Chang Style Novice
04-25-2004, 04:13 PM
She didn't use "Sprawl" incorrectly, she used it colloquially. Nevertheless, I agree with 7* - the woman in question clearly doesn't know much if anything about MA, or TMA, or MMA< or at least she didn't at the time she wrote that entry (which is over a year old.)

The guy who put the most recent comments up there, though? Oy! Let's put "trained" in quotes for mr. pressure point tkd there, 'k?:eek: :p

My favorite bit - "it's not skill, it's wrestling"

You heard it here first (for the millionth time) folks - wrestling doesn't take skill!

Chang Style Novice
04-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Based on her account of the first fight being a ground and pound by a greco-roman wrestler of a moo yea do guy for eight plus minutes, I believe what she saw was UFC 9. Steve Nelmark and Tai Bowden.

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
She didn't use "Sprawl" incorrectly, she used it colloquially.

yeah, well - :p

:D

by the way, nice entry into the battle thread.

cerebus
04-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Wow! I LIKE this girl!:D Wonder if she's single?

SevenStar
04-25-2004, 08:27 PM
she seems pretty cool - I like her writing style. I read a few of her other entries - she's getting married this year.

Chang Style Novice
04-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Ain't no thing - she probably uses the word "sprawl" much more often in conjunction with "sofa" - like 99% of the world! Naturally, we have a much more specific thing in mind when we say it.

And thanks for the rhyme props. I didn't have much to do for a couple of days there. Don't think I'll be dropping any more bombs in the near future, since we're coming up on the end of the semester.

red5angel
04-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm with Royal Dragon, for someone who claims not to be a sports fan and who claims not to know a whole lot about what's going on, she sure did.

old jong
04-26-2004, 10:25 AM
This is just another troll!...Posted by a mod on a TCMA forum!?!?!...:confused:

MasterKiller
04-26-2004, 10:56 AM
She just sounds like the average American chick with no sense of self who regurgitates whatever her new boyfriend is telling her. He likes AC/DC, so she likes AC/DC, etc....

I give this one a 5.8 for effort, though.

SevenStar
04-26-2004, 11:24 AM
It's not a troll, it was just an interesting read.