PDA

View Full Version : U.S.C.K.F Tourney

Face2Fist
04-26-2004, 05:54 AM
is anyone doing the lei tai fights? has anyone done it before? how is it? any pointers? how many are going?

Losttrak
04-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Lotta peeps on these boards have fought that particular style of fight, myself included. However there are others with more extensive knowledge than myself and I will leave the pointers to them. :D

Musicalkatachmp
04-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Yeah I've done it a couple of times...the one in maryland and then in Brazil...I have a class in a min so I will post my thoughts when I get back...

Face2Fist
04-26-2004, 08:57 AM
they have it in brazil, really? how is it run ?

thanks, i will wait for your comments.

Musicalkatachmp
04-26-2004, 10:00 AM
The world kuoshu tournament was held in Brazil this year...I think they are going to hold it in the US next time...the rules and everything were very similar in Brazil and in the US...I guess it was about the same...competition was tougher in Brazil, for the most part...

My teacher runs the Kuoshu Tourney in maryland and is the prez of USCKF, so kuoshu is the format that I concentrate on mainly...

When I first saw Kuoshu I was intimidated with the speed of the fighters' hands but now I realize that was just b/c they had on really light gloves...Personally I think many Kuoshu fighters could use some pad work b/c they are all over the place...but with small gloves you can get away with it more than with boxing gloves...

I have been told to avoid punching to the face bc you can hurt your hands (small gloves, hard mask) and that you should use palm strikes to the face...personally I forgot about this when I fought and pretty much all that I threw was straight punches to the face but luckily I didn't hurt my hands...but some guys did hurt their hands this way...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of slapping, but I was told that hitting the side of the mask with an open hand to create a loud noise is very effective b/c the judges will hear it and it will score...

I think if you push a guy of the platform three times in one round you win that round...if you throw a guy to the ground and remain standing I think that's two points and if you land on top its one point...

Many guys are very aggressive in Kuoshu but leave themselves open to big shots...

Basically when I fought kuoshu I liked to think of it as brains (me) vs. brawns (most kuoshu guys)...I'm not trying to slight them...they have guts and really try to put the pressure on you and push the pace...so what I do is I wait for an opportunity to land a big shot or if they get in close I try to throw them...

Also in Kuoshu if there is no action for a couple seconds, the ref will start counting and moving his hand to indicate each second (not sure how much time you have before he penalizes for stalling, but its at least 3-5 seconds)...so if I know I am ahead I do not do anything until I see his hand moving out of the corner of my eye...if there is too much stalling they can DQ both fighters...

Oh and make sure you wear that mask a lot before the fight...the more you use it, the easier it will become to see out of, and eventually you will not feel any different with the mask on or off...

Face2Fist
04-26-2004, 10:54 AM
wow! thanks for the info Musicalkatachmp. i didnt know it was that big in brazil. i wonder its not that big in the US. do you know if there are other lei tai tournies beside in MD?

thanks agains for the info

Losttrak
04-26-2004, 11:21 AM
They have San Shou in Dallas and Houston (that I know of) which has very similar rules. No raised plaforms or anything but same general rules.

Face2Fist
04-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Musicalkatachmp? do they use headgear in brazil too? just wondering

Musicalkatachmp
04-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Yes they do use headgear in Brazil...and yes it is big...I do not know how many tournaments they hold per year but the Brazilian national tourney had hundreds of competitors...they ended up having to shorten the rounds a bit...we got to watch some of the fights it was the day after the world tourney...
and yes I think there is another tournament this summer, besides the one in Maryland. I'm not certain though...but I will check tonight while I am at the school and get the info...

Face2Fist
04-26-2004, 05:58 PM
thanks for the info music. lei tai sounds tough but cool at the same time. i wish they would have them in the tri state area. it would a good experience fighting fighters of different catagories.

Musicalkatachmp
04-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I forgot to check tonight but I think it is in Charlotte and its coming up pretty soon...I think...theres probably something online about it

lei tai sounds tough but cool at the same time.

Yeah, its tough, but not as tough as it seems...at the tourney in Maryland the prelimary fights are only 1:30 rounds...I didn't find it any tougher than san shou...

Oso
04-27-2004, 09:51 AM
It is in Charlotte

http://mhkungfu.com/SilLumMt/Sil_Lum_Events/Upcoming_Tournaments/Sil_Lum_Flier/sil_lum_flier.html

However, I'm not sure it's a tourny.

I fought in a lei tai fight in March and while there were 6 fighters all willing to do a bracket style tourny we were told that due to NC Boxing Commission rules we couldn't because we weren't wearing 16oz. gloves. So, I guess there will never be a LT tourny in NC. San shou uses big gloves though, right?

the flyer in the link says the same thing as the one for the March event and so I would guess that it will be the same scenario in that you show up and try and get paired up with someone close to your size and experience and you'll go at it for 3 rounds.

I didn't find it too terribly tough either. It was my first time doing LT and I didn't have any coaching on the rules etc. The masks suck too.

Suntzu
04-27-2004, 10:09 AM
San shou uses big gloves though, right? not really THAT big.... but... yes....

Oso
04-27-2004, 10:59 AM
what size are they?

if what the promoter said is accurate and san shou uses less than 16oz gloves then I guess we'll never have a san shou tourny down here either.:(

Suntzu
04-27-2004, 11:08 AM
usually it's 10 ounces....... if i have worn anything heavier i wasn't paying attention.... but its usually 10........

SevenStar
04-27-2004, 11:08 AM
you fight with 16's there?

Oso
04-27-2004, 11:09 AM
'ey MKC, who's your teacher?

Ever met Doug Moffet from somewhere in VA?

He was the LT judge at the March event.

Oso
04-27-2004, 11:14 AM
you fight with 16's there?

me?
if so, No.

I ended up using an old set of leather TC gloves that might be in the 6oz. range.

to recap: the promoter here said that NC Boxing Commision rules stated that only single match 'demos' could be fought full contact unless they used 16oz. boxing gloves. If we had put on 16oz boxing gloves we could have fought a 6 man bracket...none of us had any.

Musicalkatachmp
04-27-2004, 11:15 AM
'ey MKC, who's your teacher?

GM Huang Chien-Liang...

Ever met Doug Moffet from somewhere in VA?

Yeah I know who he is and he was at our post tournament meeting so I guess he is one of the key guys in running the MD tourney...

Oso
04-27-2004, 11:25 AM
cool, guess that means you're a tien shan pai then.

I thought Dave was pretty cool.

if I can get my head out of my ass and find some fighting partners I will try to be up there this year....just gotta get used to that headgear.

Musicalkatachmp
04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah I use the headgear at least a couple times a week and it doesn't bother me anymore...I like to train with real heavy gloves too so the small gloves feel like nothing...

Pork Chop
04-27-2004, 12:01 PM
I like to train with real heavy gloves too so the small gloves feel like nothing...

Wow, what a novel idea... I wonder where you got it from...
I also wonder where you can find those kind of gloves....

:D ;) :p

Musicalkatachmp
04-28-2004, 07:10 AM
yeah thanks for lending me the gloves man they are awesome...
I was going to refuse to give them back but then I realized you could hold my greaser wig for ransom...

Face2Fist
04-28-2004, 08:15 PM
what kind of equipment do you use? i know about headgear and gloves of course but what else?

Suntzu
04-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Face2Fist
what kind of equipment do you use? i know about headgear and gloves of course but what else? for that tournament..... other than mouthpiece and cup.... that's about it....

Face2Fist
04-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
for that tournament..... other than mouthpiece and cup.... that's about it....

no shin pads? what size gloves? have you ever fought in that tourny Sun?

its more similiar to san shou or mma?

Suntzu
04-29-2004, 08:23 AM
no shin pads? what size gloves? no shin pads..... fingerless golves.... not sure of the weight....
have you ever fought in that tourny Sun? no... not a fan of the face mask and lil gloves....
its more similiar to san shou or mma? closer to san shou.... well sorta but i'm not going to go there ;) :D *very biased opinion*

Pork Chop
04-29-2004, 08:58 AM
o yah, about stylin the wig- not really possible until the day of the thing, coz yah gotta be wearin it...

keep the gloves long as you need... i actually didn't like that pair all that much.

Face2Fist
04-29-2004, 10:28 AM
thanks sun!

wouldnt mind doing it. just the no shin pads brings chills down my spine, after all the clips i have seen of broken shins.

Musicalkatachmp
04-29-2004, 11:30 AM
just the no shin pads brings chills down my spine,

Yeah I was intimidated too by the lack of shin guards but I was real surprised it wasn't much different...I didn't feel anything during the fight anyway...maybe for a day or two after the tourney my shins were a little bit more sore than usual but that's it...and they let you wear shoes which makes it easier on your toes...I didn't see anybody hurt their shins real bad at any kuoshu tournaments...maybe the tops of their feet but thats about it...