PDA

View Full Version : Guard question

IronFist
04-26-2004, 07:53 AM
What do you do when you have someone in your guard who is a lot stronger than you, and they have your arms either pinned down, or they're just holding onto them and you can't get them free?

Judge Pen
04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Bite them (JUST KIDDING! :D )

Shaolinlueb
04-26-2004, 07:58 AM
knee them in the groin. :D

IronFist
04-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
knee them in the groin. :D

I said they're in YOUR guard.

FatherDog
04-26-2004, 08:06 AM
How are they holding your arms? By your wrists?

IronFist
04-26-2004, 08:20 AM
^ Wrists or mid forearms.

IronFist
04-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Come on, I need to know by this afternoon :)

SevenStar
04-26-2004, 10:38 AM
just relax. he can't submit you, and he can't pass, right? so wait for him to do something, then capitalize.

If you just have to be proacitve, try moving your arms close enough together that you can grab his arm. Then, yank one of yours free. I'm not sure if that'll work or not - we don't really play the chasing limbs game, so it's been a long time since anyone's done that to me.

FatherDog
04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
^ Wrists or mid forearms.

Turn your hand towards the thumb and grab his arm in turn.

Alternately, look bored at him - he can't do anything to you while gripping both wrists, it's purely a stalling tactic.

Him grabbing your arm is just as good as you grabbing his - move your arm in the same way you would if you had grabbed him by the wrist, and armbar him.

IronFist
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks. I'm grappling this evening with another noob (haha even more of a noob than me) and he's bigger than me (the guy I mentioned in that one post a while ago), and he likes to play the immobilize game. I guess I'll try for the armbar or something.

Ok here's another question.

In strictly grappling (no striking), does someone in someone's guard have any submissions? I know if strikes are allowed they can just ground and pound from in there, but when no strikes are allowed, do they have any submissions? Or is their only concern passing the guard?

I'm just asking cuz one time when I was a total noob (like my 2nd class or something) I was grappling this other noob and I got a key lock when I was in someone's guard, and the instructors were like "haha, that would never happen if you two weren't noobs."

haha.

SevenStar
04-26-2004, 11:19 AM
you can choke and kimura. If you open his guard you could set up some leg locks. Trying to sub from the guard isn't advocated though, as you will likely end up either getting subbed yourself or swept. When you are in the guard, posture up and pass.

Merryprankster
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
iron,

move your hips ie, yank him around while he has your arms. If you're collapsing him forward he's going to have to post to avoid it.

Or, if he doesn't post, his weight comes off his hands which means he's no longer immobilizing your arms.

It's really that simple...now, ask me if it's easy and I'll tell you that depends who you're dealing with.

FatherDog
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

In strictly grappling (no striking), does someone in someone's guard have any submissions? I know if strikes are allowed they can just ground and pound from in there, but when no strikes are allowed, do they have any submissions? Or is their only concern passing the guard?

You can get leglocks if their guard is open, and I've arm-triangled people while in their guard several times. You have far fewer options than most other positions, though, because the person with guard can control your hips.

I'm just asking cuz one time when I was a total noob (like my 2nd class or something) I was grappling this other noob and I got a key lock when I was in someone's guard, and the instructors were like "haha, that would never happen if you two weren't noobs."

haha.

Yeah, if someone's trying to keylock you while in your guard, all you really have to do is turn on your side (the side that he's keylocking you on.) Pretty much shuts down the ability to tap you, and because of the position they have to put themselves in to keylock you (both arms on one side, weight forward) you can sweep them or take their back really easy.

Christopher M
04-26-2004, 02:13 PM
What about a stepover? Or does that count as a 'pass'?

FatherDog
04-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
What about a stepover? Or does that count as a 'pass'?

It counts as a "leglock". :D