PDA

View Full Version : Another question about the elbow...

william
04-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Hello,

I posted a thread a while ago on locking the elbow whilst practising the WC punch. I got some really helpful replys. But I wanted to ask for some advice on the best way to train, and beat my old habits.

The reason i am having problems is because I went from a style of wing chun that practiced punch with the elbow locked with no tension, not throwing the punch but placing it.

The school I am with now teaches not to full extend but to tense on impact. The problem is with making the transition. I am tending to accidently tense and lock, which is bad, as when I do do it occasionally i can feel it in my joints!

I though I might, when punching the air, be totally relaxed, with very little tension punching at a reasonable rate. But then when am hitting a wall mounted target, practice with the tension at the end of the punch because there is no chance of over extention.

Is this a good idea?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

W

Lindley57
04-28-2004, 10:27 AM
William,

The punch is a single technique that demonstrates simultaneous defense and attack theory of lin sil di dar. A punch is like "a rock on a string". When doing the punch in the forms (and possibly with this "placement" method), the goal would be to help us calibrate and understand distance and the nature of the punch. Quite different to application. You may find that when doing actual application, there should be a slight bend in the elbow. If nothing else, you risk a double handed technique that could trap and break your arm if your elbow is truly "locked".

Your punch training should vary, as you seem to be doing. Train sometimes fully extended with power (incorporating waist) and then sometimes more loose and less emphasis on power. Train for accuracy. In each case, always have something in the center and don't allow spaces or lingering between punches - truly replace the hands. Relaxation is an attribute developed through experience, so don't confuse being relaxed with being limp. In understanding relaxation, one must also study tension.

Study punching in your forms, the sao bao (wall bag), in the air, and focus mitt training. One suggestion could be to have your training partner hold a kicking shield against their body and you punch into it with the intent of moving them (punching through the target). If you cannot move them at first, have them absorb the impact and then take a full step backward. Over time, they can give you more resistance as you get better at moving them.

A good learning environment should allow for the truth. A good instructor is a good listener as well as a good communicator at explaining why things are done the way they are showing. It should not be that you feel everyone has to do things one way without (satisfactory) explanation or demonstration. Do not feel locked or limited by a method. You should feel the freedom to experiment. The right or wrong way will prove itself when you execute it on the training floor! You sound like you are on the right track.

Good luck in your Kung Fu!