PDA

View Full Version : Sun Moon Competition Swords

Shaolinlueb
04-29-2004, 06:46 PM
how are they? i jsut ordered one.

GeneChing
04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm assuming you ordered it from us - was it a dao (http://store.martialartsmart.net/4566sm.html), jian (http://store.martialartsmart.net/4556sm.html) or taijijian (http://store.martialartsmart.net/4556tc.html)?

I like the wood on the taijijian, but not the fittings. I love the hollow-ground blades for the forte. The foible is whippy, but kinda hard to pop for wushu. I haven't had the chance to really put them through their paces yet, just swung them a bit in the office (always tricky - don't want to cut the computer cables). The wushu people seem to like them, but then, they have to since weapon standards will be requiring them for competition. It's a definate improvement on previous wushu weapons, and may eclipse them someday (hopefully). They have been selling well so far.

norther practitioner
04-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Just watch out.. some comps have strict rules (if they enforce them) about either weight or flexibility for traditional weapon forms....

When GLW runs a things, he'll check by placing the sword on its tip, if it supports it's own weight, it is good to go.

Shaolinlueb
04-30-2004, 09:00 PM
i bought this one gene dao (http://store.martialartsmart.net/4566sm.html)

GeneChing
05-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Cool. Thanks for supporting us.

Do let me know your opinion of them. I'm always interested in your opinions of new products.

Shaolinlueb
05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Cool. Thanks for supporting us.

Do let me know your opinion of them. I'm always interested in your opinions of new products.

i get 95% of my stuff through tigerclaw gene :cool: whether its through online or my school.

GeneChing
05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
We really do appreciate it. :D

Shaolinlueb
05-06-2004, 07:19 PM
its a nice sword, but my zipper broke on my case after 2 openings. LOL

GeneChing
05-07-2004, 09:25 AM
There's something about Chinese-made zippers. They suck. I don't know why. Didn't China invent the zipper? They invented ketchup and gunpowder, you'd think they would have done the zipper. But I've had so many Chinese zippers fail after one or two pulls, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why that is. What's so hard about making good zippers?

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2004, 10:58 AM
they invented ketchup? woah, i thought italians or frenchies did that for some reason. but yeah i jsut did a little bit with the sword and its nice. the wood handle is weird at first but the blade is real nice.

GeneChing
05-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Ketchup comes from a Cantonese word ke-tsiap. I'm not sure about the characters, but it came through Malaysia and was probably bourght to Europe via sailors around the 15th or 16th century. Actually it means 'fish sauce', but it evolved to substitue tomatoes for asian spices. The common denominator in the recipes is vinegar. Check the dictionary if your doubt me.

Again, glad you liked the sword. It's really the hollow gournd blade that you're buying with the competition swords, especially the dao (the jian have somewhat interesting fittings, but nothing that spectacular). Most people will rewrap handles - wushu people tend to go with athletic tape - I've never figured out why. There are so many great grip surface materials for tennis, racquetball, etc, that's cheap, easy-to-use and readily available.

Shaolinlueb
05-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Ketchup comes from a Cantonese word ke-tsiap. I'm not sure about the characters, but it came through Malaysia and was probably bourght to Europe via sailors around the 15th or 16th century. Actually it means 'fish sauce', but it evolved to substitue tomatoes for asian spices. The common denominator in the recipes is vinegar. Check the dictionary if your doubt me.

Again, glad you liked the sword. It's really the hollow gournd blade that you're buying with the competition swords, especially the dao (the jian have somewhat interesting fittings, but nothing that spectacular). Most people will rewrap handles - wushu people tend to go with athletic tape - I've never figured out why. There are so many great grip surface materials for tennis, racquetball, etc, that's cheap, easy-to-use and readily available.

i dont doubt you Gene.

yeah the handle is weird, i might wrap it with leather or soemthing.

GeneChing
05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I always rewrap my handles but I'm fussy that way. My dad used to always rewrap his tennis rackets, so I probably picked it up from him.

Brad
05-13-2004, 04:36 PM
There are so many great grip surface materials for tennis, racquetball, etc, that's cheap, easy-to-use and readily available.
Got any specific recomendations?

GeneChing
05-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I used to be a great advocate of leather wraps. Not sure why exactly, maybe because it molds well over time, maybe because it seemed more 'traditional', maybe because I just was into leather. ;) Lately I've been using some of those synthetic materials, new versions of rubber I guess, not really sure what that stuff is. There's a variety of products out on the market now, so I'm still experimenting, or at least I was. I used to rewrap handles a lot, but to be honest, I haven't rewrapped any of my weapons in years. Neglectful. lately, I've just been using school equipment.